Anyone else feel the creamback really isn’t all that Greenback’ish?

LPV

I’ve had the creamback for a few years now and I just can’t find the crackle and grit of a g12m in there. It gets a great smooth punchy tone but I can’t get it to rock. I’ve had it in a few amps and applications but I’m just not hearing it.

Reactions: Roe

nospickups

Silver Supporting Member
I completely agree. I also find it a bit dark and kind of dull and I typically play g12 65s. I have a swart ast with a monotone greenback and I would give anything to have that tone in a 50w speaker but I can’t find it anywhere.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I imagine it's difficult to keep the same tonal qualities when you significantly increase a speaker's power handling capabilities. More power seems to equal more smoothness and darkness.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Depends what you mean by 'Greenbackish'.

If you're referring to vintage Pulsonic cone Greenbacks, then I think the Creamback is a lot closer than the G12M 25W Reissues.

Axe-Man

The H75CB definitely doesn’t sound like a G12M25. Too smooth, more bass, less sizzle etc.

Not to say it’s not a great speaker. Lots of punch, relaxed midrange and a nice high end. Compliments a V30 and or G12M25 nicely IMPE.

All of them. I do like the amniocentesis cream on the right (bright) amp but the others I agree with the op.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Well... it could be because the Creamback speakers are made to sound different than the Greenback speakers. :idea They have a creamier sound with less bite, hence the name.

LPV

But they market them as a higher power Greenback sound with more bottom end. G12m-65

5F6-A

IME only Greenbacks (especially the Heritage G12M) sound like the 'typical' old Greenback (to a degree).

mlj_gear

Well... it could be because the Creamback speakers are made to sound different than the Greenback speakers. :idea They have a creamier sound with less bite, hence the name.
Someone forgot to tell the marketing folks, then... Celestion has always said that they are supposed to sound like Greenbacks but handle more power.

Also, if it's called a Creamback because it's creamier, are Redbacks called Redbacks because they are readier?

BFC

I have a pair of the 65 watt Creambacks in a StoneAge 2x12C. Had them for years now. Well broken in. They don't do much for me... Unless I am in a situation where I can absolutely wallop them with a cranked 50 watt Germino. If you hit them hard and play really loud they come to life in a big way. So I've kinda hung onto them just because I've heard the potential in there. Anything less than that they're not my first choice. Or second. Or third. Or at all.

I really think how the Creamback M sounds is dependent on the cab and amp. A bright amp pairs well. I also have a 412 with M65’s on top and V30’s on the bottom. Great paring, sounds great no matter the amp.

Trending Topics