Anyone else finally find the sound in their head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sting7777, Jan 20, 2015.

1. sting7777

sting7777 slinger of notes Silver Supporting Member

I've come close over the years. Two Rock, Louis Electric, Carr, Swart. Etc

But I finally got past my bias towards Fender style amps with 6v6s and 6l6s and bought a Dr Z Carmen Ghia head.

I am running all new prod tubes too (I've recovered from NOS). 5751 in v1 and v2.

Avatar signature 1x12 loaded with a broken in creamback 65.

So happy right now. :aok

2. Polvo

Polvo Supporting Member

Yes, it took forever, 1971 superlead, 71 Marshall 4x12 with g12-80s, the Schaffer replica and a partscaster with bardens. Actually all my guitars have sonic qualities that I love. I've finally arrived.

wizard_23 likes this.
  3. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Close. But the sound in my head changes all the frikkin time.

Hulk, KnowTalent, Hacksaw and 5 others like this.
  4. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

^ha ha, yes!

I've found it for about 60% of the time... the other 37% my ears and brain are playing tricks.

5. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Yep. The sound in my head is easy. 50 watt plexi or my PWE..either of those at real gig volume delivers what I want to hear. Now, if I could record all the original music that is in my head all the time, then we'd be on to something.

sugarlou and wizard_23 like this.
  6. tomc3084

tomc3084 Member

Yes. After going from an Axe FX II to a DC 5, to a Mini Rectifer, to a Mark IV to a Mark V. Then sold the Mark V to get an Axe FX II again. Then sold the Axe FX II to get a Mark IV and a JVM 410 Satriani Head with a Torpedo. Then an Axe FX II again, to find myself twiddling knobs to much and not enjoying myself. Then selling it to realize I am a Fender guy. Got a 68 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, got rid of that. Then I finally found what I have been looking for.....An Allen Accomplice and an Allen Encore. Those 2 amps with Bogner Blue and Red, with a tubescreamer and a Zendrive, and there's not a tone I can't get. I find myself playing clean for the most part, that's how great Allen's cleans are.

7. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Yes, my Les Pauls through my Swart AST MKII Master with nos glass and EJ 1250 alnico 50 watt speaker.

8. Loudguitar

Loudguitar Member

I have to have a Fender clean as I grew up on a '67 Super Reverb. I have been chasing the elusive crunch/lead sound for years. Finally found it all a couple of years go in a Mesa Electra Dyne. Great Fender clean, Plexi and hot rodded Marshall sounds, excellent reverb...just everything I want. If only I could have had this 20 years ago.

9. pepedede

pepedede Member

divided by 13 rsa23 for me into a marshall 2x12 w/ celestion greenbacks, it gives me the crunch of a marshall and the cleanish of a fender, love it

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've got a slew of sounds in my head and I've found gear to reproduce most of my favorites. I'm definitely happier than ever gear-wise. My favorite amps are my old Valco-made models and my home-built "takes" of some of them. I'm also crazy about my Fender Harvard clone, my old Vibrolux Reverb and my old brown Deluxe. Those are my faves.

11. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Close enough.
    Rivera M100 and Boogie Tri-Rec.

12. ledger

ledger Member

LOL! Sorry to laugh but what a crazy amp journey!
    I'm glad you finally found what you were looking for.

13. jonsongz

jonsongz Member

Yes. And did it cheaply. A Fender Superchamp XD matched with a Squier VM Jazzmaster, a CV telecaster or a CV 50's Strat. Sounds like 1965 to me, and believe me I was there. Oh forgot to mention my Chinese Epi Dot into a Vox AC15C1...another tone I thought was lost forever but wasn't. Did I mention cheap?

demea26 likes this.
  14. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Yeah.... Wish my hearing was a little worse, so I'd be happy with cheaper amps!

Z-Wreck is THE sound in my head for about 75% of the stuff I play.

Unfortunately, the exact opposite amp is the other $25% I hear, so I had to get it too... Que the Mesa Mark V.

Why can't I like used Classic 30's for everything?

15. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Grosh Retro Classic through a Redplate Bluesmachine 66. I've owned enough high end amps to know this as close as I'm going to get.

sugarlou likes this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I love my Diezel Einstein, Vox tones and Marshall JCM 800 tones. The sound in my head has changed, evolved, and shifted as I have grown in my playing.

The truth is, as much as I have loved the sounds I have gotten over the last 60 years and continue to get with my tube amps, the variations afforded by the flavours of say, a Vox and the Vox off-shoots, Marshall and it's off-shoots, etc., are now all gotten in my KPA.

I found specific Marshall tones on the KPA rig exchange that are glorious: Marshall Golub Crunch, to name one, as well as tones by many other amps types, which are really wonderful.

I am not limited any longer by only one tone I have been chasing. Great tone is like speed in a car...it has cost money to get the right gear to achieve it. But, not as much now as it used to be way back when.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  17. Faded

Faded Member

MESA Electra Dyne. Picked up a used 1x12 combo and was blown away. I searched for another and found a NOS 2x12 combo from MESA directly and quickly snapped it up.

So now the tone in my head is two Electra Dynes in Stereo

sugarlou likes this.
  18. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

No!!
    F#$K you Van Halen 1

19. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

I tried Brit style amps for quite a while thinking that was it but when I picked up a 62' Vibrolux I realized that is was a Fender tone I liked most.

20. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Yes, a good LP into a Marshall 100w Vintage Modern (set to HDR, with NOS preamp tubes) into a 4X12, played loud. It's just too bad that after 30 some odd years of searching, I now have THE tone but no appropriate gig for it. :(

Latest tone search is some of Robben Ford's most recent humbucker/Dumble tones. I just finished building a ODS and Dumbleator clone, still buffing them out but we're getting close. :)