anyone else find playing Gibsons uncomfortable after playing Fenders for so long?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telejammer, Dec 23, 2009.

1. telejammer

telejammer Member

I just bought a Gibson SG Standard with coil taps at GC on Sunday,its a fine looking guitar, White Ivory with ebony neck and black pickguard,chrome hard ware. This is a GC exclusive with Burstbucker 1 in the neck and a no. 3 in the bridge. You can coil tap both pickups. I had it set up and new strings, but it just doesn't fill right playing it. The bridge pickup is alot more trebley compared to the front. It seems like I'm fighting this guitar as I'm playing it and I'm having second thoughts . I had a Les Paul 20 years ago but never bonded with it either. Also had a Nitehawk that was pretty good but moved it down the road also. What I'm wondering is should I give it more time or stay in my comfort zone with Fenders?

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Just the opposite: after a lengthy time with my fenders, picking up a gibson feels like "coming home" to me...

3. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

It used to be like that for me, but nowadays I quite like the different feel of Gibsons, Yamahas, PRS's etc. because they lead my playing in different directions. It's not something that works for everyone I would confess but maybe you're trying to play your Gibson is if it was a Fender? Just a thought.:)

4. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I have the opposite problem but they are the same. Once you get used to the length of one, the other feels different. I'm a Gibson player and have been trying to get into a strat for the tone and still always go back to the Paul.

Its what you're used to. Give it enough time though and you should be fine.

5. Sizeofanocean

Sizeofanocean Member

For me with all of the Gibsons I've played, I didn't feel comfortable because they didn't balance at all. The Les Pauls just fell off my knee to the body-side, and were heavy as hell (I know, inherent), and the SG's were the total opposite, being neck heavy to a ridiculous degree, I can live with some neck heavyness (I play bass also), but if you're gonna make a quality instrument, balance should be one of the things you try to achieve. I feel way comfier on Fender necks too... No hating at all though, I would love a nice Gibson one day, it's just that I'll need to search long and hard for one that feels right...

6. RJLII

RJLII Member

I rather like the feel of a Gibson versus the Strat and Tele I used to own. I loved the sound of both Fenders but the Strat ergonomics were all wrong for me. I was always smacking the selector switch and volume knob with my right hand. The middle pickup was troublesome too, as I dig a little deep when picking and used to run into it all the time. The Tele was better, but didn't fit me like my Les Paul and ES-335 do. The Fenders are fine guitars but just not for me.

7. funkycam

funkycam Member

I cannot play SGs.
    all bad

8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I was a Gibson player for a lot of years before I got ahold of a G&L, and it changed everything. Now it's nothing but strat-style guitars for this kid, and picking up a Gibson feels wierd. But, they're fine guitars. Biggest difference is the neck radius - a 15" radius neck feels flatter than Kansas after playing the 7" to 12" radii of the various others. They're a shorter scale length, too, but 3/4" spread over ~25" isn't really anything to trip over.

9. telejammer

telejammer Member

This SG feel great when i first pick it up and start playing,its after a few minutes I find myself not playing as well as when I'm using say a Strat or Tele. I think alot has to do with reaching down for the volume and tone like a Strat and finding two more knobs to fiddle with and also the push-pull volume knobs. Also I always used just my volume knob to back off for rythmn and turned up for leads, when i back the volume up on this SG it loses all the clarity.Is this typical for these pickups?

10. D.G.

D.G. Member

One thing to remember is that you can't use the same settings on your amps and pedals when going from singlecoils to humbuckers (unless you like that sort of thing!) You'll want to adjust your settings when moving from one guitar to the other.

11. helicopter99

helicopter99 Member

yea i have that took me ages to get used to my prs santana have played fender all my life now its easy to go back a fourth

12. Sizeofanocean

Sizeofanocean Member

That has nothing to do with the pickups but probably everything with the pots... You could try better pots, or even a volume pot with a treble bleed

13. telejammer

telejammer Member

I played this SG for three hours today trying to get somewhat at ease with it to no avail. I really want to like this guitar so I'm going to spend alot of time over the holidays getting to know it. Hopefully I'll have some improvement on my part to report back after that.Thats one good thing about GC,they give you 30 days to return it, glad I didn't remove the plastic film on the pickguard yet.

14. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I've found it to be fairly typical of side-by-side coil humbuckers. The stacked 'buckers don't seem to suffer from it as much. You might want to do a "treble bleed" mod to the volume control, as described here. I've never done it as I haven't used that style pickup in quite a long time, but it makes electrical sense. If you do it yourself, it shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks. If you'd rather have a tech do it, wait until you're ready for a string change so you can kill two birds with one stone.

15. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I have yet to find a gibson that feels comfortable with my large hands/fingers. It's always a struggle especially after playing my tele for a while.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I say - if you stay in your comfort zone you're stagnating :)

But really... all people have different body shapes so some guitars sit more comfortably than others on different people. You're also tarring all gibsons with the same brush. I'm a Fender shape and I've never found LP's comfortable to play standing or sitting. But I find SG's equally as comfortable as Strats. Same with ES-335's

17. pedal2

pedal2 Member

My picking hand tends to be uncomfortable on TOM bridges - I wouldn't have a problem if I was playing one regularly though. In some ways I prefer the feel of a Gibson neck.

18. nosacter

nosacter Member

I just bought a VOS SG Standard that I love, but can't play well. I've decided the neck is just too shallow for comfort in my hands. I can play my Strats, Teles and LP about equally well, but on the SG, my fingers fall everywhere but where I'm trying to hit--especially above the 12th fret. Not sure what to do about that. I also really want to like it. If I can't get used to it, it may become my slide axe. Lot of $$$ for that though.

19. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

I'd concur. My SG Special didn't have that problem when I got it and I found myself quickly getting into that 'blending' trick where both pickups are on but the volumes are not matched.:)

20. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

That's a common issue with that kind of neck joint. I have similar problems with my two Yamahas and the 335-types I own. I find I need a few minutes of playing just to get used to the where the frets sit under the hand although it's less of an issue than it was five years ago say. I'll say this though, when I gig I won't take out guitars that sit differently so the SG and the Yamahas stay home if I'm gigging the Fenders or the PRS's or vice versa.