Anyone else find this a little troubling?

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Why would that be troubling? False positives, maybe?

What is worse, stopping plagiarism before it really gets going, or find yourself the target of a lawsuit like Coldplay vs Satriani or any number of suits?
I guess is depends on the complexity of the algorithm, but...false positives, big time. I can't plagiarize something I've never heard before, but Spotify has heard everything in existence.

This Spotify thing opens up the possibility that they are going to start issuing copyright strikes like YouTube, by comparing your new song to everything ever done by anyone at any time. If they do that, it's the end of new original music. It's pretty hard to arrange twelve notes in a way that somebody, somewhere hasn't done before.

I like the system we have now, more or less: if someone feels they have been infringed upon in a substantial way they can take action.

I got dibs on IV - V - I !!!!

Last edited:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Why would that be troubling? False positives, maybe?

What is worse, stopping plagiarism before it really gets going, or find yourself the target of a lawsuit like Coldplay vs Satriani or any number of suits?
Copyright infringement only applies to instances of copying, whereas this focuses entirely on similarity. While it might not seem it on first blush, this idea fundamentally upends copyright altogether.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
They need to stay to the business of ripping off artists.
No, no, no. Why stop there when you have the technology to also generate revenue as the hall-monitor for the entire music industry?

Publishing companies can lick their chops over the weekly plagiarism report they subscribed to on Spotify. Ambulance-chasing lawyers, ACTIVATE!!

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
"Yes, alright, please hold and I will transfer you to one of our senior copyright infringement attorneys."
[beep]
"Hi, Mr. Reynolds, there's a Mister Plant and a Mister Page holding for you on line two."
"We would like to set up a conference call with these two gentlemen, Spirit, Kingdom Come, Greta Van Fleet, Whitesnake, and about 37 blues artists long since dead."

Dadaserf

I’ve never used Spotify, maybe it will be the seed for a musician based platform to distribute music?

Scott SG

Remember
Silver Supporting Member

Trending Topics