Anyone else get a Synth9?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by T Dizz, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mirrorball

mirrorball Member

And now I think I need one.

JiveTurkey and High Pedality like this.
  2. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

Prymaxe delivery update: Thursday! I'm in an 80's cover band so REALLY looking forward to CARS, RUSH, BABYS, STYX, BILLY IDOL, possibilities. My wish is that it sounds good (adjusting dry/wet mix on the pedal maybe?) with distortion and I'm not forced to use clean tones when the pedal is engaged.

3. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

The one hesitation I have is that the mix sounds awfully bare if I was to play synth pads and then switch over to a regular guitar sound for riffs, solos, etc. The Synth 9 looks good for me because of my band's 80s covers but I still wanna be a guitarist :)

4. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Not sure what you mean by "bare" but maybe put an EQ after to bring back some mids? I haven't tried it yet in a band setting but it's a total riot on its own. Reverb and delay take it to the next level for sure.

5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Imagine synth pads playing through the song and then stop whilst the guitarist does a solo. All that sound dropping out will strip down the sound significantly. Like if a bass player all of sudden stopped playing.

6. ck3

ck3 Member

My Synth9 arrived earlier today. The tracking seems on par with the Mel9 for the most part and slightly better with some presets. The Mini Mood mode is a tinge unwieldy with conventional playing technique, and the Solo Synth setting is significantly noisier than the others, but the majority of its synth emulations seem practical for retro 70's and 80's synth wankery and contemporary Electroclash-style compositions.

With the onboard blend control, it is possible to combine the synth signal with an overdriven, fuzzy, or otherwise processed guitar signal for real-time layering, though this can seriously muddle the tracking with certain modes. I also experimented with post-gain, and found that only a small number of the modes distorted in a utile manner. Effects like phasing, chorus, vibrato, delay, and reverb seemed to add a new dimension to the Synth9's various textures, though a few of the modes already include something comparable to phasing and vibrato. Most of the modes tracked surprisingly well when sub and upper octave fuzzes were fed into the unit.

I've owned a number of synth pedals over the years, and, aside from intermittent issues with Mel9 units not powering up properly, EHX seems to be striking gold with their 9 series.

I plan to directly compare the Synth9, Mel9, and Digitech Dirty Robot during the coming weekend.

JiveTurkey and Dandolin like this.
  7. Ghast

Ghast Member

Buy a looper!

8. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Using a looper with a live drummer? HA! The only thing I would ever consider is triggering short samples/sequences a la Rush.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner Vendor

Are you using the Key9 walwart power? this made the difference for me --- it was doggy off a shared power supply....

T Dizz likes this.
  10. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

The Synth9 is going back. I really wanted to love this pedal, but it didn't do what I needed it to do: random synth line thrown in while not having to change to a clean tone. It sounded really bad with amp gain. Pitchfactor back on the board.

11. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Get a better drummer!

12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Same here.. need to use the included wart

13. Kylote

Kylote Member

I watched the youtube video of it and looks awesome... no space for it though :(

14. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

This is my problem with the POG2 as well. When jamming with a drummer, turning it off to play a different part kills the whole vibe.

15. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Same here! I purchased the B9 when it first came out and initially I had a blast making organ tones with my guitar. However, whenever I would try to use it in a song, I felt as though it never really fit. I also disliked how loud the effect was. I think if I ever got one of these again, I would run the wet signal to the mixer and then also run to an amp. I feel like I need to still hear my guitar, unaffected.

16. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Here's my demo for the Synth9. The Profit V, Mini Mood, Mood Bass and String Synth are my favorites. What a little rager of a pedal.

17. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

It'll sound way better through an FRFR.

18. icarusi

icarusi Member

I'm getting *very* loud cracks on 'Mini Mood' (No4 setting) with 'dry' down 'synth' down 'ctrl1' up and 'ctrl 2' midway. It's a portamento single voice and the 'cracks' only appear on re-triggers of the note. Seems ok while the note is continuously sounding, but if it stops, deliberately or accidentally, there's a loud crack or skrike as it tries to find the pitch of the next note. If you play a bit of staccato on this setting it can sound like gunfire! I reckon it's a potential tweeter buster.

Tried another pedal in the shop with same fault and a 3rd in a different shop, same fault but less harsh through a valve amp vs solid state. First shop reckons if it's the same on 2 pedals it isn't a fault. Obviously haven't heard of batch faults.

Anyone here *not* able to get cracks and skrikes on the Mini Mood setting setting I've described? Guitars used Squier FMT and Ibanez RG8 Roland Cube. The intention was to use the 'synth' out into full range s/s speakers as per keyboard amps but *not* guitar amps, but won't be so long as this crack/skrike noise is there to pop the tweeters!

19. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

It's very cool.

But I took it off my board.

I guess I don't want to sound like a synthesizer.

20. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Uhhh, you know there are two outs, one the synth and the other your dry guitar signal, right? And that there are two volume knobs clearly labeled to adjust the volume of the dry and synth sounds so you can dial the synth sound down to a whisper, right? How long did you play with it, thirty seconds?

MikeMcK likes this.