Anyone else get a Synth9?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by T Dizz, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Relax. I know how the pedal works, it was simply just more of a challenge in a live setting than I really liked. I could have tried different set ups but ultimately, I felt as though the effect was something that I was trying to add into songs and really didn't need. Thanks for the insightful response though.

chirills likes this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Great demo. I tried the Mel9 and didn't dig it at all. Built in compressor on the Synth9 is a step in the right direction for me; though I am not sure I need the Synth9 since I have the SY300 and GR55 :anon

Big deciding factor (beyond the actual lack of a need for me and making sure tracking was good enough to justify a purchase); would be how to integrate seemlessly into whatever guitar rig. AKA the elephant in the room of going from synth tone to normal guitar tone without a drop out or some sort of compromise on the traditional guitar tone side of things. Not a bad problem to have; but a potential problem nonetheless.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I am debating this exact thing. I want to add some keys to some songs we do, but how to avoid having the guitar drop out.

Couple of questions:

Does this need to be plugged into an amp? Can it go straight to the mixer and sound like a synth, or does it need the amp speaker to make it work?

Does it have sounds with a fast attack like what you'd play for Jump, or Runaway? A lot of the sounds I hear are more atmospheric and moody, and less keyboard-ish.

4. JiveTurkey

I would say you could feed the Synth out direct to a board. You might need a direct box depending on your board inputs. Not sure how you are monitoring it. Unless your sound guy is feeding it back to your wedge? I run an FRFR rig instead of traditional amp so my guitar tones go to my FRFR and my synth stuff goes to that same speaker. I wouldn't want to be pumping the Synth9 through a Greenback loaded 1x12, for example.

I can see using an A/B box to go between the tones or an expression pedal set up to pan between the synth and guitar tones. About the tracking; I'm not sure. Bill Ruppert videos tend to lull me into a false snese of security :DI am in the process of thinking about letting my SY go. I use the GR and dig the realism of the tones. The SY tracks perfectly; so any substitute has to be pretty darn close to it in tracking speed. The GR is absolutely NOT; but I alter my playing style and the trade off of "better" tones is fine by me. In the case of the EHX; I'm going to have to try it in person. Some guitar gear you can get the feel for from watching others play it but guitar synth gear is a hands on exercise.

5. icarusi

icarusi Member

Anyone tried this setting yet and *not* getting loud cracking noises when re-triggering notes?

6. thecomposinator

thecomposinator Supporting Member

I have one on the way, so I don't know how good this will go, but my plan is to run the synth9 first and run the dry out to my comp and though all my od's and my volume pedal. Then I'm running the synth9 into an amt mini volume and run both into my nemesis which will sum to mono and to my amp. Then I'll have delay and verb for both and can blend them with both volume pedals.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. ck3

ck3 Member

I don't hear any crackling when using the Mini Mood mode, though the tracking is pretty wonky and random octave up glissandos often happen when transitioning between intervals greater than a fifth. Maybe it's clipping something else in your rig. I had minor crackly noise issues when using the Solo Synth mode that cleared up after I placed the Synth9 in my preamp's effects loop (which I realize is contrary to what the instructions recommend).

8. JiveTurkey

Offing my SY300 here very soon. I am either getting another GR55 for backup or going a GT1/Synth9 combo. Or ponying up stupid money for Helix LT/Synth9 combo. Probably go GR because it just seems like the obvious solution requiring the least amount of effort to get up and running. REALLLLLLLLLLLY wish there was a Synth9 local I could try out.

9. icarusi

icarusi Member

Tried 3, all with different rigs in 2 different shops, all the same. Returned as 'faulty', but because 2 were from the same shop there was a 'discussion' as to the definition of 'fault' (if they both have the same problem it's not a fault). I have some audio of the clicks as I wasn't sure how far the 'discussion' would go, and needed some documentation. The click waveform amplitude was approx 10x the normal synth amplitude. Sounds worse through s/s amps but full range ss amps+speakers are the best for synths. especially for loud LF which can damage some guitar speakers.

10. icarusi

icarusi Member

Solo Synth has a big amplitude raise compared to the other settings, so it'll probably overdrive a clean input unless it has a lot of headroom.

11. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I hear what sounds like a key click on a hammond when the notes re-trigger on the some of the sounds. Is that what you are hearing or does it sound more like clipping?

12. MrDelaney

MrDelaney Member

I just got mine, really digging it!

13. icarusi

icarusi Member

Very loud *crack*. Amplitude of it is 5-10 times the normal synth level when viewed on a waveform display such as a DAW. Try playing staccato on Mini Mood. 'Synth' knob needs to be fully down and 'ctrl 1' fully up. On Mini Mood 'Synth' control is a 2 voice, no portamento (no problem). 'Ctrl 1' is a 1 voice portamento, with the time set by 'ctrl 2'. When time is set to something useable, if the note is left to die, the next note starts with a crack. Playing staccato shows it up, but in normal playing, even legato, the note will eventually fall below the retriggering level and the 'crack' occurs. There's also a brief sound of the pitch rushing to reach the new played pitch, as if there's a gate between the close of the previous note and the start of the new note, and it's opening too early, and too fast, so it's generating a 'crack' sound, and you hear the sound of the note trying to quickly reach the new pitch, a part which isn't intended to be heard.