Anyone else hate listening to country...

TheClev

As seen on TV
...but love playing it? I recently joined a country band, and I have a great time playing country music! I don't think I'll ever sit around listening to it, but it's a ton of fun for me to play.

TheClev

As seen on TV
In this case, I'm not much of a fan of either, although I do hold a LOT more respect for the older country stars than today's.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I LOVE noodling around on hot country guitar, and doing older standards where I can jam on that stuff. Playing Nu-Country, especially note for note cover band style, bores me to tears. I would rather just listen to it, and I really don't even like listening to it all that much. :D

Heinz57Pep

Respect considerations aside.....

Chicks with bare midriffs > name inlaid on a guitar fretboard

Modern Nashville country? HATE it. (Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean,etc)

Alt Country or classic Country Western? LOVE IT. (Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, Owen Temple)

Kitten Cannon

I'll admit I don't really mind playing the modern country too much, because I tend not to keep our singer's vocals that high up in my monitor. It's a lot easier to ignore the ****** lyrics that way, and focus on what often end up being pretty fun tunes to re-arrange for our configuration and play live.

I do listen to a metric f*ckton of the "good" country though, and now that I think about it, I don't make a lot of attempts to play that. But I probably would if I could.

I guess I always thought of playing music as something I do for other people, whereas listening to music is something I'm considerably more selfish about.

geekocaster

I think it's true for any music genre, that you begin to like the songs you learn/play. Like you connect with the songs better or something.

bayAreaDude

I hardly ever tire of listening to Willie. I can do Red Headed Stranger over and over. Phases n Stages, so much good stuff.

27sauce

I just love playing guitar and getting paid for it, no matter the genre. I modern country, and enjoy it.

Recreationally, I've been balls deep in some NWA and Mercyful Fate lately.

Kooshball

I'm in the same boat. I've always liked stuff like Willie nelson and Chet atkins

but man i'm really been digging into johnny hiland, brent mason, hellecasters, danny gatton...any country-lead I can get my hands on.

I just love the country lead sound and its really helped me with my hybrid picking.
haven't had a chance to utilize too much in a band though

Nebakanezer

I do think there are other genres that are "more country" than "today's hottest country" as my local radio station calls it. The country I play and the country that I listen to seem to have the same divide. I don't mind bastardizing the modern songs on our set list.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I may be wrong but I believe the technical term for you is 'trade'. Or in other words...

"WILL REDNECK FOR PAYCHECK"

Last edited:

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
What's the difference between modern pop country and just plain old pop rock...as a guitarist? From what I hear and see, the guitarists in these modern country bands are playing "rock" amps with rock tones and not a whole bunch of clean chicken pickin going on. The country seems to come from banjos, fiddles, pedal steel, etc.

Trending Topics