1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have a maple-bodied ASAT Classic Tele???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jonster, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Jonster

Jonster Member

I have an early - mid 90's, (not sure of the production date), 3-bolt neck, swamp-ash-capped, translucent red, ASAT Classic Tele. Rosewood board.

I KNOW the body is maple for sure. The guitar weighs in at exactly 7.14 lbs, and is a tone monster. Despite the usual concensus re: maple bodies, this guitar resonates beautifully, is light, and just sounds great. It has a unique tone too, unlike any other tele I've owned. (owned about 30 over the years)

I have not been able to find too much info. on the guitar over on the G&L page. Very little in fact. I was just wondering if anone else had this guit, and what they thought of it. Is it rare? Why did they stop making them? Just curious. I feel it's a very special guitar with tons of mojo.

2. HHB

HHB Member

thats really light for a maple body guitar, got any pics?

3. somecafone

somecafone Member

I am a G&L fan, and I own several, and looking to buy more.

The G&L translucent finishes are shot on instruments made of ash.

How is it that you are convinced this body is maple?

If you are really curious, call G&L. They'll talk to you.

4. Jonster

Jonster Member

Well, first off, I know wood. Been playing 33 years, and have owned a plethora of Tele's. Northern ash, swamp, alder, basswood......all easily identifiable to me.

The top is swamp all the way, easily visible.

The body is without a doubt MAPLE. trust me.
    The grain, color, density,.....all maple. Not only is the grain clearly visible under the finish, but when I bought the guitar (used) unfortunately it had a pretty good gash on the inner edge, bottom. I was able to confirm my assesment with a more forensic, if you will, examination. ;) Again, good ol' maple. I know there are others like it, certainly not a one-off.

I have also had friends/store owners in the know examine it. They confer %100.

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

A few years back I had an ASAT 3 bolt that was 3 color sunburst on 1 pc. solid flamed maple, not a cap but solid flamed maple. It was an early one as it used the black crinkle haedware like the early G&L Broadcasters. It was one back-breakin's twang machine. Bright enough to cut diamonds at 100 yards. Only one I've ever seen like it.

6. Jonster

Jonster Member

Blue, that's the weird thing. This guitar is NOT overly bright at all. Very refined tone. Also very light.

I guess it is a rare bird. I will try and contact G&L and get a better idea of how rare it is. Everywhere I bring it, or perform with it, players are always grabbing it or asking about it. It sounds killer, and plays like a dream.

Thanks for the responses!

7. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Soft or hard maple?
    I don't know the density specs or even how to ID them in guitars, but they are different from one another.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I had a '85 SB-1 that I'm 99% sure was a maple body from the grain. Definitely neither ash nor alder. I was not able to get any info from the factory. It was pretty heavy.

I still have a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tone was pretty unique for a G&L, deep and aggressive but not a lot of presence. The pickup was a prototype and fairly low output, especially compared to a MFD.