Anyone else have an RC-50 on order?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alex Law, May 15, 2006.

1. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

The suspense is killing me. I downloaded the manual on Friday and spent the weekend reading - I can't wait!

I'll have to console myself with the DD-20 sound-on-sound for now...

2. Craise

Craise Member

yeah, I want one bad...but every time I check on it, they change the release date. I thought it was going to ship today..but now they've pushed it to 5.20.06.:FM

3. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

...And although Musician's Fiend says 5-15, they sent me an email stating 6-30! :eek:

I guess we'll just have to see.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - Sweetwater's just rolled ahead the delivery date, too.

Didn't the same thing happen w/the RT-20 rotary speaker emulator.

The RC-50 was demoed last fall in Japan and at winter NAMM in Cali, but they could have run into production snags - thing's a lot more complicated than your average Boss pedal..

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Not to mention all these high-falutin new boss pedals have to run at under 200 mA, which can't make things any easier. I bet the design team wiped the sweat from their collective brow when they finally got the DD-20 down to 200 mA.

Those line 6 slobs have it so easy, with their 1300 mA adaptors and huge footprints to stuff their guts into, I tell ya, they're growing soft already. :moon

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've been really interested in these, and had one on order from Sweetwater. They originally told me April. Wound up spending the scratch on something else. I'm thinking I'm going to wait until I hear some reports back from early adopters. I like my RC-20 (not even XL) pretty well, but the additional stuff the RC-50 has on offer is seriously droolworthy.

7. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

You should check out the manual:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?SEARCHBY=PrNm&SPRNM=RC%2D50#List

Plenty to lust over there. I'd thought about getting the RC-20, but after reading about the single-mode/multi-mode, quantizing, loop sync, and the way it handles USB - that's kick ass. It just shows up as a filesystem you can read/write to. If you hose everything up then you just delete any junk on the filesystem and copy the initial folders over.

Mmmmm.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I am trying to figure out if it will work for me...

I have the RC-20, which I would like to keep in One Shot mode and have the RC-50 for the synced up loops...

I need the stereo inputs and outputs for my guitar rig, but since there are so many inputs, I would really like to be able to loop and use my acoustic guitar and Yamaha P70 keyboard with it as well!

However, I need to know that the XLR input (acoustic guitar) and either Aux in or MIDI (whatever I use for the keyboard) can be set to go out to a PA, as I don't want to run my acoustic or keyboard through my guitar amps!

The manual tells what you can do, but I either need to check one out or ask Boss if you can assign inputs and outputs for each of the three phrases... with all that stuff on there, you should be able to create multiple patches for different input/output schemes for the phrases as well, right?

I wonder how effective it would be as a drum machine... probably great at least for practicing...

9. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Looks to me (on page 53) like you can route a phrase to the "sub" output rather than the "main" output - so if the "sub" goes to the PA, it'll work.

You can also define it globally, not just per-patch (page 69).

Doesn't look like you can say AUX->SUB or MIC->SUB, so you'd have to keep track of which phrase you record onto.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Thanks,

That's fine with me, especially since it has the "undo" feature I'm missing on my RC-20!

I get the output scheme now (thanks!), but how do you select what input goes to what phrase? Or are they all just "listening," waiting for you to play something...

11. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

There are three phrase pedals, so you select the phrase to record onto by pressing that pedal, then you press the rec/play/overdub pedal to start that one going. Or use the autorecord feature. It'll also wait until the current phrase ends and the next phrase comes around to start recording, if you ask it to.

I tell ya, I've spent too much time reading a manual for something with a mysterious ship date...

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I just spoke to a boss customer service guy...he says as far as he can tell from the manual (he doesn't have an RC-50 yet over there, either), you can't use multiple inputs simultaneously... but, without having one on hand, he can't be sure, so he will try it out as soon as he can (his is on order, I think he said) and let me know via email... Worst case scenario, you could get a separate looping unit and hook the MIDI up so they are at least in sync, right?

13. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

I don't know... Certainly looks like you can use multiple inputs simultaneously. There are three level controls right there on the front of the unit, and no way to choose a specific input, so... It certainly looks like they're all "hot" at once.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Would be handy for real-time looping w/several different instruments. I'm currently getting around this issue using a 'line selector' pedal, but it'd be so much better to have seperate inputs.

I have high hopes for this new looper, but I'm gonna let someone else do the beta testing for a change. I was the 1st kid on the block to get the RC-20/XL and the JamMan, but they all feel kinda like toys to me. Still prefer my old Boomerang on stage and my Repeater in the studio..

I'll be expecting really thorough, brutal, no-holds-barred TGP-style reviews when you guys get yours

15. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Big +1. I'm also a multi-instrumentalist, and being able to mess around with several of them at once would be fantastic. Phantom power inputs make my mouth water. :D

I've done some fun stuff with my RC-20, but it certainly has its shortcomings, just like its user. I've come close to pulling the trigger on a Boomerang several times, but it seems to me that the RC 20 & the Boomerang are two halves of a greater whole. The Boss has lots of functions, but too few footswitches, while the Boomerang has fewer functions, but an excellent physical interface. I have to admit that the first time I saw the RC-50, it was all the extra footpedals that got me excited, before I even saw the enhanced feature set.

16. rgxb2807

rgxb2807 Member

yeh i was wondering about all this too, but i think im going to hold out until fall because boomerang is coming about with a new looper. i am going to sell my gibson echoplex pro plus on ebay soon, so many functions that i don't use.