Anyone else have bad luck with Hosa patch cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shawn3786, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

I've had 3 Hosa patch cables die out on me in the last 2 months. Is anyone else having bad luck with these patch cables? I understand that they only go 4-5$ for a single 6in. patch cable, do you think there's a sacrifice of quality because of their inexpensive cost? I know that's how it is in the economic part of the music industry, "you pay for what you get." What are some of you other guys using for patch cables without breaking your wallet?

Shawn

2. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Haven't had any problems with Hosa cables, I'm still using some ones I bought 8 years ago.

3. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Same here!

I have had mine for ages.

I have taken up making my own though. I buy cable & connectors in bulk from Orange County Speaker and solder my own now. Much cheaper!

4. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I mix FOH at my church and we have had nothing but trouble with most of the Hosa products we use. Our vendor now sets us up with Whirlwind products. So far, they are much better. Especially susceptible seem to be adapters and cables that split signals (3.5mm TRS-2x1/4" TS, etc.).

Personally, I don't remember if any of my pedal patch cables are Hosa but none have failed me. Because of the problems we have had at the church, I don't even consider them for personal use.

I would stay away from Hosa (or any other moulded-connector patch cable). There are many threads comparing pedalboard cable kits. I have Bill Lawrence cables that I need to wire up one of these days. Lava Cable, George L's, Evidence all seem to be popular.

5. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah. I had the same problem. out of six, three have gone out. Got them about three years ago and the first one went out about six months ago. Once I switched to George L's, the other two went really quickly. It was a really funny coincidence.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Question, are you constantly plugging them in and out, or are they stationary on a pedalboard between pedals? If you are pulling on them and plugging them in a lot they will eventually have problems.

TheGrooveking

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hosa's are cheap for a reason. I have had bad ones right out of the box. I know that going in. I still buy some (for one, they make a great send/return pair of mono for using in effects loop of my amp) but I know going in they may not work.

When recording, or as patch cables too...not so good. The cable itself is almost always fine, so like with the paired mono, I buy them, use them, if they fail I have jacks on hand, I solder the new ones on (paint them red and black on each end, red for send, black for return so I can hook up my pedalboard the right way) and they last then for a long while.

8. Memorex

Memorex Member

Hosa's are molded plugs, which are for light duty, like in a studio, where you'd plug 'em in and leave 'em.

For live playing, you're better off using cords with hand soldered Switchcraft plugs. Nothing else beats those. I have 30 year old cords with Switchcraft plugs that still work fine, needing only occasional polishing.

9. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

It depends on what you are using. If they are the molded ended ones, then they are cheap and flimsy. I used some from radioshack like that for a long time before they finally started to fail and now im using hosas metal ended ones. I redid my board with them and they sound sgreat and are holding up strong. If you dont have them already, get the cpe-411 and cpe-606