Anyone else have this problem? (Germino content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Third Stone, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Which one to plug into? :drool Lead 55 on top, Classic 45, and Club 40.
    [​IMG]

2. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

:mob

We hate you... LOL!!! ;)

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Yep- I got that problem too....nasty one, eh. :)

My grab and go is a Lead 55LV combo with a Celestion G12-65 1x12, fantastic tone in a little package.

Emerson I played your Lead 55 recently. It is a bad mutha.

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Hey Dewman. You must have played it thru Greg's killer cab too? Those old bass-cone greenbacks sound awesome. Wish I had one like it, although the L55 sounds amazing through the Germino 2x12 with RI Greenbacks. I did do two small changes to the amp, add some NOS Mullard pre's and I clipped the bright cap. I prefer the cleans with the bright cap gone and the Mullards are a no brainer. Love Greg's amps!

5. dewman

yeah it was amazing through that cab. I only tried a les
    Paul deluxe with lollar minis thru it and in open g it was really cool sounding!!! That is a special amp and I gotta get me some bass cone celestion pre rolas!!!!!!

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

You have to many Germinos......Ship me your Classic 45, and just remember, less is more

7. m1911

m1911 Member

So Dewman, you're happy with a G12-65's eh?
    I figured it to be similar to a Vintage-30 which I don't really care for much.

By the way, I stopped into Fatsound last week and Stu played a used Lead-55-LV he had there. I was actually surprised how quickly it broke up. I wonder how it compares to the Club-40 and Classic-45 in that regard.
    Mark

8. dewman

I am not jumping up and down about the G12-65s, but they can handle the volume well. I have them in an open backed cab. My fave is greenbacks of the current production models. The G1265 is better than the Vintage 30 to me, less dary, but also I have to really push it for it to take off and would rather hit a cab with greenbacks. However, the 1x12 format is perfect for grab and go and really, all corkshiffing aside, will sound absolutely fine in a band setting. The Lead 55LV breaks up fairly fast, which is especally cool for strats, as it really gives them all they need. There are tricks to make it break up sooner, like screwing around with phase inverter resistor values, but in a stock lead 55 I think it sounds great with some hair on it. The club 40 has great cleans and als can get this nice tweedesque raw dirt thing going on, then EQ it differently and it can sound like a Lead 55 LV. If you want to play cleanish rhythms, then maybe the Club 40 is for you or Classic 45. See they probably both are clean (the Lead 55LV and Club40, but the EQ staring off ppoint with the different coupling caps and shared versus split gives the Lead55LV more snarl at the same volume level, which could be interpreted as dirty cleans. I really love my Lead 55 LV and wouldnt change a thing. The Club 40 is warmer to my ears but has a raw quality to the breakup, whereas the Lead 55LV is smoother to me. I want a superlead version of the HR100 so I'll have the girth of a 100 watter but also some more headroom so I can really play a cleanish rhythm tone with balls and perhaps A/B switch and then hit a pedal for leads or get some sort of A/B amp setup going for leads, maybe with an attenuated CLub 40 or Lead 55LV.

I havent tried the Scumback M75HOs yet, perhaps someone could chime in, but that should be a fine speaker to try to. Live though, Id go with a quad of heritage G12M 20 watters. so I could get the big tone of a 4x12 but the volume under a 2x12 of chinese greenbacks.

9. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

I've been using a Scumback M75HP in a 1x12 cab for a couple years (Club 40 head). Nice warm breakup and not a high db speaker (good for volume control). I've lately been running it in a 2x12 Mojo slant in detuned format.