Anyone else here never owned a BAD Gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jlb32, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I hear all of the horror stories about major flaws and the QC of Gibson being total crap for the last 10-20 years but personally I have never had any issues and all of the Gibsons I have owned have been great guitars. Maybe I'm just lucky.:dunno

2. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

I've been shopping heavily for a new guitar and I played a bunch of LP's, 335's, 339's, and a few SG's. I came across some great guitars and some that were not so great due to various flaws - dead tone, workmanship issues, etc. You see the same thing in varying degrees with other mass produced guitars. Gibson does have some QC issues, but they still do produce some great guitars. You just have to dig through several looking for THE ONE that floats your boat.

3. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I've had both, good and bad.

4. small axe

small axe Member

i have had my fair share of good ones, but did run into some that were really bad and made me think of a fender again

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I currently own 4 Gibson Custom Shop guitars and I don't have a complaint about any of them. Obviously though, if one is gonna spend this kind of cash on a guitar they're gonna be picky. I wouldn't buy a 'BAD Gibson.'

6. DogEarDave

DogEarDave Member

Guitars just tend to be inconsistent. When I bought an SG a couple of years ago, I played 6 different SGs at the store through the same amp on the same setting and they all sounded quite different. I don't know if it is quality control or just the nature of the beast, since I have experienced the same thing with other brands as well.

7. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I have never owned a bad Gibson, but I have owned a few that I couldn't really bond with (for this reason, or that) and sold.

8. jacobhf

jacobhf Member

I've played bad ones, owned 3 good ones - though my explorers input was disconnected when it arrived direct from Gibson.

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

All my Gibsons have been really good guitars.

I've had many more crappy fenders over the years.

10. natevi

natevi Member

Fender and PRS doesn't have this problem

11. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I've had a couple of Gibsons over the years....
    [​IMG]
    they are clearly the brand that I have settled on after about 20 years of playing. I've used Profiles, Hondos, Fenders, Ibanezes, Charvels, ESPs, Rics, PRSi, small boutique luthier builds, Teisco and played a host of others, but I always seem to favour the big G (although reading about thier current corporate culture makes me want to weep)

I have had some QC issues, but only once has it been something that has affected playability. I had an early Faded V that was not dried properly. it shrunk so significantly over the first winter (even though I kept it in climate controled conditions) that the frets popped out the sides of the neck, and more surprisingly the body shrunk so much that the pickguard buckled up in the middle, pushing the bridge pickup into the strings! They did fix it under warranty, although the guys at the store insisted that I clearly had kept it outside or something (I did not)

perhaps unsurprisingly after that I have had issues fully bonding with any of the faded series. I conceed they are great value for the money (and few outside these early batches have had the above kind of drying issue) but I want the full gloss, even if it is another $500

Others have some minor finishing issues, but only the sort of thing that one notices when looking at the instrument with a magnifying glass. I get that for some people when you shell out "this kind of money" for an instrument they want perfection, but I think they are nitpicking.

Not all of the above pictured instruments are my favorite, and sure, in finding the above, I also tried others and have picked up and played some dogs, instruments that were either neglected and no longer play well, or are just bad (for me). but all the pictured instruments meet my standards of good feeling, sounding and playing instruments.

12. manowar2888

manowar2888 Member

damm jeff very nice collection you got there !:eek:

13. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

You aren't the only one to have had that experience!

14. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Who hasn't?!?!? :roll:drink

But for that matter I've had some 'bad' guitars of many other brands as well to include a few vintage pieces that were 'souless' but worth some bucks so off they went. I right now ahve two '67 Gibsons, A 335 and a 330 and these things are keepers, but it's been a long time since I picked up a newer Gibson and felt the same but then that's just me.

15. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

thanks.
    I hope to have 3 more by the next time I shoot a picture (early summer)

16. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

your reverse psychology isn't working......hater

17. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

I'm not the biggest Gibson fan in the world, I prefer one volume control to two, don't like the ergonomics or the weight of many Les Pauls much, and have sold three of the five Gibsons I have owned (LP Standard, Studio, and Junior Special).

I currently have a Robot Studio and a Special, and no, I have neve had any issues with quality control.

18. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Ive had 3 SGs
    1999-pretty damn good
    1975-SICK!!
    1980-this sounded the least good and it couldn't handle the tension of D'addario 11's. Constant struggles with the truss rod and tuning ....i'd say this was the bad one (even though i had it the longest)

I have no experience with Les Pauls ....thank god

19. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I've set up a few that were pretty crappy to play and sound a whole lot better than they did when they were new. I've seen quite a few with poor quality control lately. Won't buy them, which is why I don't have any "bad" ones.

20. JDW3

JDW3 Member

My '73 LP Deluxe has frets that are not laid out correctly. The guitar plays sharp everywhere above the 5th fret. We laid an early '60s fretboard next to it and the frets did not line up with it.