• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

anyone else just NOT able to vibe with an SG?

chrisrocksusa

I think they look cool, and I like their tone but I can't play them. They feel strange and foreign to me, and it's just not comfortable in my hands.

I have no problem going from an LP to a strat, to an ES, to a shredder type guitar. No problems there, but with SGs something about them just don't sit right in my hands, I feel like i can't play them as well as I do other guitars bc they're uncomfortable.

FWIW - I've played an ESP viper (esp's SG copy), and they feel more like a traditional guitar and I have no problems with it.

am I crazy?

:bonk

Stratoben127

I only like certain SGs. They feel unbalanced to me and not as beefy as a Les Paul in sound or feel. I feel like I'm always reaching out to keep them against my body and to reach down the neck.

hippiebob

You might feel that SGs are a bit different to play because the "cowboy chord" position seems like more of a stretch than on other guitars such as a LP or 335. I personally loved my 61 Reissue, and I plan on hopefully finding a Tweedy SG when funds allow.

schlookness

I felt like that for a short while with my first SG when I tried it in the store but I bought it anyway cause it sounded soooo good, didn't take long until I loved the feel of the body though and now SG is my favorite type of guitar..
Have you played them much enough?? There are of course many terrible SGs aswell so maybe you haven't found one that suited you??

It's like that sometimes though, I had a GREAT strat for about 6 months before I gave up trying to get used to it, strats turn me off big time as soon as i touch them.. Like to hear a strat but I just can't stand playing on them..
Been a while though and I'm starting to get more and more in the mood for giving them another chance, Jimi, SRV, Gilmour and Knopfler make me WISH I could love a strat but I just don't see it happening..

tdawg

They take some getting used to because of the neck not overlapping the body at all, so the neck can feel real long. Classic guitars though, a les Paul sure feels weird as hell at first if you have played strats a number of years. It just takes a little getting used to

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I think it has something to do with where the neck joins the body.
SGs tend to have the neck stick out further which makes the headstock a little further away.

I personally find them the most comfortable guitars for me to play. Most other guitars (except for Teles) feel akward to me.

chrisrocksusa

I think it feels more strange at the level of the bridge, where my picking hand hangs out. I dislike that the most.

I feel like they have taller bridges and a steeper angle at which the strings come down over the pickups.

they're all set up like this

Hawking

For ME personally it's probably the most flawed design of the popular guitars. I love how they look, what people do with them and how players make them sound..

But the flimsy neck, common dead spots on the fret board and sometimes neck heavy design just isn't something I can get along with.

guitarrhinoceros

+1 on them taking some time getting used to. BTW, the popular choice is the Heritage Cherry finish, but the Ebony finish is quite nice too. I love SGs and love my Standard. It is a bit less beefy in the lows than the LP, while still employing enough humbucker girth to your overall tone.

84superchamp

who's yer
Gold Supporting Member
I think it feels more strange at the level of the bridge, where my picking hand hangs out. I dislike that the most.

I feel like they have taller bridges and a steeper angle at which the strings come down over the pickups.

they're all set up like this
i agree, even more so than an LP.

after many years of lusting, i finally picked up a faded and started the adapting proceedure. i agree with some of the comments (complaints) up above but the outstanding features are the great sound and the comfort above the 12th fret on lead runs. i guess it's a trade-off..putting up with some discomfort and awkwardness for the classic sound of an SG.

Zingeroo

I can't imagine why they went to such extremes from the super thick heavy body of the Les Paul, to the super-thin, almost toy-like thinness of the SG.
I WANT to like an SG, it's just such a cool looking guitar.
But it feels like a kid's guitar.

chrisrocksusa

I can't imagine why they went to such extremes from the super thick heavy body of the Les Paul, to the super-thin, almost toy-like thinness of the SG.
I WANT to like an SG, it's just such a cool looking guitar.
But it feels like a kid's guitar.

yeah I feel the same way. I didn't want to come off like I'm bashing SGs. They're cool guitars, I want to like them but just can't. It's just like I feel about my sister :rotflmao

but yeah, feels like a toy. ugh, can't stand it.

Matt L

SGs and Strats are the most comfortable guitars for me. Actually, Jazzmasters and SGs seem to feel similar to me, as far as where the neck sits. I love them!

Sifl

Going from an SG to a Les Paul Jr has been a change for sure! I'm going back to the SG. The LP is too thick for me.

M

Member 37136

Too light, too thin, too long, too pointy. I like the tone that people get out of 'em, but the SG is one guitar I'll never own.

Digitalman

I tried years ago to bond with them, because I always thought they were so cool looking and they sounded great. I had four different ones and I thought I had finally settled on a '61 RI. But ultimately the flimsy neck and the insubstantial body just didn't cut it for me. I ended up with a 335 for my Gibson / humbucker needs, just more my style I guess. I like when other people play SGs though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom