anyone else just NOT able to vibe with an SG?

Sifl

AHC0042.JPG

Yup.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
What models don't have the giant pick guard? Only the 61 RI? I like the pick guards that are only on the side where your pick might actually do some damage.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
Really love the sound but neck feels a mile long, got a LP Jr Special DC ( ? I think thats what they called them ) and is thin, solid Mahogany, P90's and the neck is in the right place so gets pretty close to the sound but may still look into an SG down the road. Need to get somewhere besides GC and actually feel the differences between the various SG versions...maybe summer namm 2013

Not positive but I thought they had thickened them a bit with the Diablo SG.

_c762756_image_0.jpg

From what I remember, the Diablo and the carved top SGs are just the regular sized body with LESS wood due to the added shaping. I could be wrong, but when I played one, it felt smaller.

neverrecover

I can't vibe with them either...I have always wanted to but I've never played one that felt right or even very natural to me.

stickyfiddle

What models don't have the giant pick guard? Only the 61 RI? I like the pick guards that are only on the side where your pick might actually do some damage.

Interesting you say that- I like the batwings because I *do* hit the body on the bass side near the neck pickup. Not sure how I manage it, but I do it on all my guitars :)

Carbohydrates

It took me a very long time to care about SGs. The big issue is I don't like (nearly all) modern ones. The current 50's and 60's neck shapes are just too big, and the guitar feels unbalanced and extremely neck heavy.

However, a couple years ago, my buddy wanted a brown SG in the worst way. I found an old '66 SG Special on eBay in need of some TLC, fixed it up for him, and kinda fell in love with it myself. It had a very round but narrow neck that balanced nicely with the body.

I ended up buying my own, a '69, with the same smaller neck, and now I'm sold. I had to sell the '69 a little bit ago but I replaced it with a '67 Melody Maker SG that also feels fantastic.

the '66 and '69 (hey, they're a HELL of a lot cheaper when they have some issues!):
69spl007.jpg

To conclude, the only SG I'd buy would be a mid- to late-60's one with the smaller neck, or a modern one with the "'61 profile" ('61 reissue, Jeff Tweedy, etc).

It took me a very long time to care about SGs. The big issue is I don't like (nearly all) modern ones. The current 50's and 60's neck shapes are just too big, and the guitar feels unbalanced and extremely neck heavy.

However, a couple years ago, my buddy wanted a brown SG in the worst way. I found an old '66 SG Special on eBay in need of some TLC, fixed it up for him, and kinda fell in love with it myself. It had a very round but narrow neck that balanced nicely with the body.

I ended up buying my own, a '69, with the same smaller neck, and now I'm sold. I had to sell the '69 a little bit ago but I replaced it with a '67 Melody Maker SG that also feels fantastic.

the '66 and '69 (hey, they're a HELL of a lot cheaper when they have some issues!):
69spl007.jpg

To conclude, the only SG I'd buy would be a mid- to late-60's one with the smaller neck, or a modern one with the "'61 profile" ('61 reissue, Jeff Tweedy, etc).

I really dig that '66, and I highly recommend the '61 RI.

goodwater

I can relate---I've owned a few and while I like how they look and sound, they just feel strange to me. I've never been able to get used to it and have sold every SG that I've bought within a few months of purchasing it.

Hugh DaMann

I played my first SG the other day at a music store and, although I could tell it would be neck heavy when on a strap, the neck felt great and I dug the access to the upper frets. I'm now on the market for one.

mesa/boogieman

I had the SG special for a year and gave it to a friend of mine because it was collecting dust. I don't know what it was but it just didn't feel right for me. I find the Les Paul to be much more suitable for me.

speedemon

DøøG;14080842 said:
Also, no ginourmous neck, no Grovers, no neck dive. If you've played the Les Paul versions of the SG, slimmer neck & no Grovers, you'll know what I mean. I have a 61 Jr that has to be the most comfortable guitar I own, it has that early 60's neck, and the original Klusons, so no dive and it weighs in around 6 lbs. And with the P90, plenty of jangle rolled down and real fat when you crank it.

Which one do I look for that isn't $3k + ? I also dislike the short neck width on some of the 70s versions (prefer 11/16ths).

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
I've never been a big SG fan, but I've only had a couple of them over the years. They sure do look cool though!!

Porrig

I can't get on with them at all. Any I've played have been flimsy bodied and neck heavy. I just don't like how they feel.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom