Anyone else like EHX nano Hot Tubes more than Soul Food ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LqdSndDist, Jan 18, 2014.

1. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Obviously the 100+ pages of combined post about the Soul Food and how they are back-ordered everyone attest to the popularity of the pedal, as does the mythical nature of the Klon.

I naturally had to pick one up, along with ordered an East River and Hot Tubes.

Well to my surprise after finally getting the SF, I find for a cleanish boost, I actually prefer the Hot Tubes!

Its got a bit more headroom, and adds a bit of lows. Just sounds awesome for adding some thickness and punch to my strat.

The SF on the other hand, seems to add a bit too much mids at times, and can sound a little thinner and even slightly harsh, depending on amp settings.

I find the SF to be a nice lead boost, giving a little extra grit and definition, while the Hot Tubes feels like a nice cleaner rhythm pedal with the gain low.

Both have a pretty nice, and unique tonal palette, but I think I'm finding I honestly like the Hot Tubes more than the SF

Surprising I guess since no one seems to really have much interest in the Hot Tubes

2. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Not a fair comparison. The Hot Tubes isn't touted as a clone of perhaps the most overblown, overly hyped electric guitar effects pedal of all time.

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

My primary distortion is a Red Llama. I'm curious about the Soul Food, but reluctant to change anything in my setup.

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I used to have an orig Hot Tubes (Huge Box, late 70's/early 80's thing) and I'd never had thought to try and get a 'clean tone' out of it. Fun for various distortion and drive toanz, but there are so many other clean-pedals....I just wouldn't think to try and make it do something it wasn't great at.

HIAR... you old stickinthemud ! Throw something new into that Temple of Taon of yours.
    I hear an AXE-FX may free your mind...
    :wave

5. Mike Zartarian

Mike Zartarian Member

im with you - I love the Hot Tubes as a low gain overdrive (and other pedals based on Craig Anderton's CD4049 based designs like the WH Red Llama).

if im using it for lead, i usually have to put in a booster before the hot tubes to add a bit more mids to punch through.

6. PGrant

PGrant Member

Yes, that's why for only £100, I'm getting my soul food modd'd to hot tubes specs.

7. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

That is somewhat what I originally expected to use it as, however, I found that I rather hate its tone with the drive past about noon. Just a fizzy craptacular tone (IMO).

Worth noting that I'm not a huge fan of the SF either with the gain cranked, and much prefer the Glove (as far as the current EHX goes) for providing actual drive tones.

The Hot Tubes though with the gain just a little below noon and the tone about 3 o'clock gives this really nice punch with just the slightest edge of breakup but not full on grit or harshness.

It rather seems to give me the sound of my Fender amps with the volume cranked up to about 6, but at home friendly volume levels, same extra punch.

I think into a cranked amp it might get a bit too woofy though as there is a bit of a bass boost to the pedal.

Its a unique tone though, and one I can't seem to duplicate with just a clean boost, or EQ.

Worth checking out for $52 at any rate

8. Mothman

Mothman Member

I'm also using the Glove for base crunch tones (just breaking up, not screaming Marshall-esque), and using the SF to punch it up for leads. It's a nice combo.

9. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I hereby claim "Fizzy Craptaculus" as my stage name.

:D

10. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

I have all 5 new nano pedals, didn't like the hot tubes one bit. Very bassy and fizzy.

11. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Checked out some Red Llama clips, Hot Tubes does sound like its a similar circuit but seems to have a bit more range on the drive knob. RL seems to start off with that gritty small amp drive tone, while the HT doesn't get there til about noon on the dial.

I think the bassy-ness is what I like about the pedal, fattens up by strat and tele bridge pups, and if its set for just a touch of grit, adds that definition and cut missing at lower level home playing.

Very different than a TS or SF (not suggesting those are the same thing) where you do notice some missing lows. At gig volumes this isn't an issue really, and almost can be a good thing to help with a band mix, but for playing at home, not so much

12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Docka Joans, I played an IC Muff clone and an EJ FF today and walked away. The Pickle Drive is just my sound. And yeah, it's a fair bit dirty with the gain all the way down. Nothing turning down the guitar's volume can't fix.