Anyone else like stone picks?

riffy

I ordered a custom one from Stone Age picks. Fender triangle pick with 3 SHARP points. Here is the making of it. I think it is quite cool. I got to pick the particular stone it was being made from also. , ,

urQuill

g.f.a.
Beautiful! I LOVE stone picks, and in the mid-‘80s through to early ‘90s my most cherished possession was a Min’d pick, beautiful tear-drop shape, if a vibrant orange agate - but the point and weight made it just ideal. I still have the pieces ... maybe I’ll contact this builder and see if they can replicate it!

Yours looks really really good

riffy

Thank you! I still have a mind pick that I bought in like 1979! Love them! Matthew is VERY good!

urQuill

g.f.a.
Thank you! I still have a mind pick that I bought in like 1979! Love them! Matthew is VERY good!

YOU DO???? Do they still exist??? you have to show me a picture. I have yearned for another for almost 20 years ...

fitzo

Gold Supporting Member
I have a variety of agate picks from over the years. Most were acquired from Picks&Stones but, alas, he has shut down production. A couple others were bought online but sit unused because they lack bevels.
They take some getting used to to avoid a small click at the attack that annoys some people. A thick one will get a very warm, mellow tone, while a thin, very pointed jazz style will allow for extremely fast picking. I have them from 1mm sharp up to 5mm rounded.
I love stone picks.

Edit: just looked at Stone Age. Those are some very well done picks. I might just have found a new place to continue my buying habit. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new pick!!

James

I also bought a Min'd pick back as a young lad in the 80s, but never really used it. Still have it. Cool concept, but a bit too thick for me. I gravitated towards red Jazz III's early on.

billyguitar

In the 70s and early 80s I used some kind of polished stone picks on my Travis Bean guitar. They totally hammered the guitar finish between the pickups. The rest of the finish was wearing off anyway so it didn't matter. TB used a soft finish that was really bad. If your pick normally comes into contact with the body anywhere I wouldn't use those kinds of picks.

urQuill

g.f.a.
I have a variety of agate picks from over the years. Most were acquired from Picks&Stones but, alas, he has shut down production.

I have a few from Picks’n’Stones, they were the sweetest people and you could feel their being in their beautiful work. But yes, the tip shape and bevels are critical, and still they take lots of practice to get quiet, and I’m not sure the click is ever completely gone, careful EQ is important, too.

But get it working and it’s like an extension of your skeleton - amazing experience.

RileyBoy

I used to have a really nice stone pick. Tiger's Eye.
Until, some jack hole ripped me off at one of my BBQ's.
Friends would come by and hang, jam a bit...I should have known better.
And that's we can't have nice things lying about.
f/n thief.

Stone Age picks. Thanks for the heads up riffy.

riffy

I used to have a really nice stone pick. Tiger's Eye.
Until, some jack hole ripped me off at one of my BBQ's.
Friends would come by and hang, jam a bit...I should have known better.
And that's we can't have nice things lying about.
f/n thief.

Stone Age picks. Thanks for the heads up riffy.

Absolutely! He has quite a few sizes and can and will do customs.

Dave Wakely

Dugain make them in a huge range of materials: various stones, glass, metals and woods, with a well thought out finger grip on the reverse. Didn't like the stone (could never lose the click), but good picks.

fitzo

Gold Supporting Member
To anyone who finds these slippery to hold, I recommend Monster Grips. The textured silicone dots adhere very well and the grip improves markedly. The dots stick well, but will lift off again with a fingernail or knifeblade underneath. I haven't had one come loose yet, at all. With severe arthritis, I find them a must have for my lousy grip nowadays.

riffy

To anyone who finds these slippery to hold, I recommend Monster Grips. The textured silicone dots adhere very well and the grip improves markedly. The dots stick well, but will lift off again with a fingernail or knifeblade underneath. I haven't had one come loose yet, at all. With severe arthritis, I find them a must have for my lousy grip nowadays.

Thank you Fitzo! That is a great idea! I will look into those!

urQuill

g.f.a.
Dugain make them in a huge range of materials: various stones, glass, metals and woods, with a well thought out finger grip on the reverse.

My small collection, with the broken-hearted centrepiece, a few from the erstwhile Picks’n’Stones and a Dugain in blue glass, lower left:

index.php

The white picks are by Wegen, highly recommended as a somewhat less clicky alternative to stone. I believe the material is an unusual plastic that is also used in the manufacture of prosthetics. Whatever it is, it sounds pretty good.

urQuill

g.f.a.
Cool thread.
Has anyone here tried a stone pick with flatwounds?

Oh yes, it’s possibly the best combination - very little noise, smooth, easy, fast and dynamic, with a clear and precise centre to every note. With good flatwounds, like a set from TI, it feels absolutely amazing under the hands, very exciting to play.

riffy

I got the pick today. I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it yet, but WOW! It is outstanding. Hardly ANY chirp at all. I mean much less than the V-Picks I have. I am in LOVE with this pick. I got the Triangle shaped Fender style pick. All the points are SHARP. I love them sharp and sharpen all my plastic picks down myself. This one though just glides through the strings. I can even play rhythm with it VERY, very well... Loving it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom