Anyone else like this Custom Shop '72 Tele Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jahn, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I mean, yes, it's $5k, but the chance to go back in time and make a CBS-era design with Custom Shop-level workmanship is a pretty killer combo. I'm personally gassing hard since it has Paul characteristics, but the Tele shape (bigger than a Paul, which is good for me). The maple board is another plus, since it puts this Tele even further away from what my current Rosewood Tele gives me. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I wonder what they used for pickups? I know the original cunife types are unavailable except for on the used market for lofty dough. It would be a shame if they used the regular types that are going on the mim deluxes, for that coin anyway.

Also, I don't like the gold trim.

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

+1 on both accounts. There was talk of some boutique PU manufacturer trying to score some CuNiFe and try to make some PUs, wonder if that project's still in the works.

I don't like gold hardware, period.

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I would rahter not have the gold, and I dislike the big headstocks in general, although period correct. What's the point if the pickups are not the real deal, with the correct value pots, etc?

5. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I've got the MIM version of this exact guitar minus the gold hardware and I love it. Mine's even white like this one and it's absolutely killer. I've read that some people don't like these because they don't feel like they can play lead on them. I've gotta disagree, mine absolutely sound's killer for lead work. Having said that: $5K on a telly... jeeze, that's just a lot of money to drop on anything. I love my MIM one so much that this one would have to be not only be the absolute best guitar I've ever played, it would have to be the best guitar I ever could play!

6. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

Yep...papa taco nailed this one.

7. aram

aram Member

$5000????

That's retarded.

My MIM one is great, but there's no way I would pay that much for that guitar.

You could buy an original one for less!

8. RDM

RDM Senior Member

For that price tag, I'd buy a CS Tele that was to my specs and didn't have gold hardware. It's cool if you like that sort of thing....I personally don't. I could also care less about CBS specs or not. As long as it feels good and sounds good....but that's just MHO.