• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone else listen to Saturnus?

Dr Zaius

I generally have a hard time with "modern" metal, as I prefer the tone and vibe of vintage metal like Iron Maiden. I will sometimes listen to stuff like Alice in Chains, but I get ear fatigue from the zillion-notes-a-second that everyone else seems to like. I can take it in small doses, but that's about it.

Then I found Saturnus. Now this I can listen to! Finally, a metal band that seems to understand that a discernible melody is, ah, generally a desirable thing in music. A shocking concept, to be sure...

Now if you don't like metal at all, then Saturnus probably isn't going to change your mind. However, if you're like me and you like strong, memorable (or at least rememberable) melodies, then give them a listen. Melodic death metal isn't something you come across every day, and Saturnus has been doing it better than anyone since the early '90s. Wish they would come to the US on tour, but everyone here is apparently busy listening to Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber or whatever.

Check out the ridiculous sustain on the solo at around the 3:00 mark.

Another good solo at 3:15.

MrX

I love (old school) metal and I'm always open minded to new bands. I had never heard of Saturnus (until now) and I couldn't wait to give them a listen based on your comments. However, I never made it past the 0:12 second mark on the first video after hearing that "cookie monster" nonsense which I personally can't stand. Oh well, to each his own, enjoy!

Dr Zaius

I love (old school) metal and I'm always open minded to new bands. I had never heard of Saturnus (until now) and I couldn't wait to give them a listen based on your comments. However, I never made it past the 0:12 second mark on the first video after hearing that "cookie monster" nonsense which I personally can't stand. Oh well, to each his own, enjoy!
I'm not a huge fan of that, either. But in the case of Saturnus I'm willing to let it slide because their vocals tend to be so sparse that, in effect, many of their songs almost end up being instrumentals.

I can deal with an occasional "cookie monster" growl here and there if fundamentals of the song are good. But what I can't deal with is songs that have no discernible melody whatsoever, especially those that try to make up for it with 11,756 notes played as quickly as possible.

I was in the same boat as you once. But if you say I won't listen to anything with growls, cookie monster, or any of the rest of that stuff, then that pretty much takes the lion's share of all metal made after 1991 off the table. But I do get where you're coming from. I wish Lamb of God would do some "regular" vocals and lay off the growling. I like Mark Morton, but the crazy vocals just dominate the songs too much. Plus I get ear fatigure from the zillion notes thing.

With Saturnus being mostly instrumentals, I can deal with it. Plus, the vocalist for Saturnus only uses that stuff part of the time. He sings in a normal voice pretty often, which is kind of unusual as most modern metal bands don't mix the two.

Last edited:

Trending Topics