Anyone else love a strat bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eveningtheme, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

I know that it's almost as maligned as the dreaded and wonderful middle pickup, but does anyone else absolutely love the strat bridge position?

[​IMG]

I've had strats with series/parrallel switches, blend pots, HSS, 7 way switching etc. since I was 16. But when I play with anyone or record I will undoubtably end up on the bridge PU.

I'd say it's 90% tele bridge, just a little thinner and further back in the mix. I'm just the happiest playing on a strat in the bridge position.

What strat do you love in the bridge position, and what pickup does it have?

CapnRex, shane8, Ryno1331 and 7 others like this.
  2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

It’s a great sound, especially when you roll back the second tone control a little. Wiring the second tone control to only work with the bridge pickup is essential here.

3. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Once I got my D'Avanzo 1954 model with an Injector in the bridge, I realized how good that position could sound.

[​IMG]

The True Velvets in the neck and middle are beautiful sounding as well- the three pickups are a perfect combination.

kookaburra likes this.
  4. Pongo

Pongo Member

I learn so much from TGP.

Honestly never knew that not caring for the standard Strat bridge pickup (or for that matter, the Tele neck) was "a thing" until I started posting here.

I do love it, though whether it is an ideal tool or not is highly dependent on the song that is being played.

5. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

I agree, the first guitar I owned (squire strat) I thought position 5 was all the pickups on, because it had the best sound by far.

It wasn't until later on that I realized they gave you those four other options for a reason.

CapnRex, cratz2, Pongo and 1 other person like this.
  6. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

When I play my strat I want that sound. If I want a humbucker it's Les Paul time

CapnRex and jvin248 like this.
  7. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Absolutely - I've done this for nearly a decade and a half. I actually find that simply wiring the bridge to a tone give me the rolloff I want, without touching the control itself.

8. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I spend 85% of my time on the bridge , no tone control. Of course, I don't turn the bass off on my amps :crazyguy.

9. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

As long as there's a tone control connected to it, I like it. A purple Lace Sensor or Texas Special are my favorites in the bridge position.

Voxshall and Norrin Radd 1966 like this.
  10. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I use it quite a bit - I've tried a few different pickups in there, and I'm sticking with the Lollar Dirty Blonde.

Eveningtheme likes this.
  11. dazco

dazco Member

I went thru the same thing most go thru with strat bridge pickups when they first start using strats. But i didn't start using SSS strats till relatively recently. I used HSS strat. When i went to SSS i heard what everyone tends to say about the strat bridge pup. But after a short time i had them sounding great thru simply assimilation. I find that most, not all, but most things with guitars that don't sound great are mostly a matter of perception and getting used to them and learning subconsciously how to work them. Now the strat bridge pup is my fav position, and thats even with very low winds that u would assume would be ear piercing. But you eventually make them work somehow. Same thing with teles....i could never bond because they sounded too bright and felt stiff. Thru some concious changes, some unconscious and thru perspective i came to "get it" and now they are no longer any of the negative things that had me disliking them at first.

Now with the right amp sound and pickups i get bridge sounds that leave me wanting for nothing. I love it. Right now i'm totally in love with the stock pickups in my classic vibe 60s strat. I swear those things are freakin' great. I have some great strats sets i have tried in it and i won't say the CV set is better, but they are every bit as good and in a way that right now i am digging more then the others. And I don't see myself taking them out again any time soon.

12. The Opera Panther

The Opera Panther Supporting Member

Sure, I like it plenty. I also like the dreaded middle position. Maybe it’s me?

shane8 and Norrin Radd 1966 like this.
  13. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

The bridge pickups on the Strat and Tele are where it's at when I step on the overdrive.

14. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Member

15. frank4001

frank4001 Member

16. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

Yes.

And like others have stated, it must be wired to a tone pot. I was amazed at the difference just wiring it up makes. And yes, I now mostly use it with the tone wide open. I could never do that previously.

17. twotone

twotone Member

I use it all the time, with the tone control turned halfway down. I prefer a thicker overdriven tone.

18. Guppie

Guppie Member

I have a Dimarzio FS-1 in the bridge position. Great clarity and mid grunt without the ice pickiness. But I play with a lot of fuzz and for clean sounds I usually use the neck or middle. I think the problem with "standard" strat bridge puckups is not the treble content but the lack of mids (and) bass. I find a bridge pickup with the tone slightly down very anaemic sounding.
    I've also been curious about dimarzio sd-1 in the bridge. I might try that some time.

19. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have a Eric Clapton Strat so I love the bridge pickup because I can get any sound I want. Incredibly versatile guitar.

tga-3 and bigtone23 like this.
  20. DGA

DGA Member

I spend more time on the bridge than the neck with my current Strat. It could be the A3 pickups because it was more of an even split between bridge and neck with my old Strat.