Anyone else love the slim taper?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I love Gibson slim taper necks. They are one of the reasons I bout my Les Paul Classic. I also have on 02 LP Special that has the slip taper. They just fit my hand like it was custommade for me. I kneo this leaves me out of the Historic Pauls and what not, but when you find what works for you its all good. Anyone else?

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

While many enjoy the fatter nacks, I also enjoy the slim taper. It's not as much of an adjustment from a Strat.

3. Memorex

Memorex Member

I have an average sized hand, and I unconsciously slip back and forth from "proper" hand position to thumb wrap around while I'm playing. I've found that I can't comfortably do this with anything but a really slim neck, and being 58 years old, I have no intention of changing my playing style at this point. I've had two LP Customs custom shaved, but I'm losing my taste for LPs at this point, and am considering selling both. My #1 right now is a Squier Affinity Strat rewired with Duncan pickups, because I really like the narrow 41mm nut width, and if I could get an even slimmer profile, say .75 in to .825 (19 to 21mm like a Wizard I neck) in the 41mm width, I'd like it even better.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I played a couple of classics recently, and the '60s neck was not too bad but I prefer the carves on the Historics. I like the '50s necks on the Standards as well--it's somewhere in between.

The GREEN inlays on the Classic really looked odd to me though, but that's no big deal.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Nice to see others are with me on this. So much talk about ginormous necks.

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

I two LP's with slim tapers (classic and standard). They are far and away my two favorite necks on any guitars I own.

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I had a really great sounding 335 that I sold because I couldn't deal with the slim taper. That neck is way too flat. They don't offer options for many of their guitars which is a bummer.

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Well, I'm in the "fat bat" fan club, but I vastly prefer a slim taper to a Fender "modern C" shape. I used to think a thinner neck somehow made a guitar seem to play "faster," but after getting my 339 with its huge "Rounded '59" profile, I have seen the light.

9. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

I love the Slim Taper 60's style neck. I have a Classic Antique, so it does not have the ugly green inlays. Love it.:dude

10. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i definately prefer slimmer necks than those huge gibson historic neck carves.
    i have small hands, so that´s probably the reason for that.
    that said, i own 2 historic les paul (r4tq & r6) that have huge necks, but i can´t get myself to sell them because they sound plain great.
    last year i sold 2 68cu ri´s mainly because i couldn´t get used to those baseball bat necks on these. the last classics i played had really slim necks, maybe a tad too slim already. r0´s are the ones i like best.... :dude

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

To each his own but I prefer the medium '59 neck carve. I want some meat I can grab onto, but I don't want a baseball bat either.