Anyone else love their CS336?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 59model, Jul 7, 2006.

1. 59model

59model Member

I`ve been a LP player most of my life, and can`t believe how I`ve bonded with this guitar. The neck, the light weight, controlable feedback at volume, it`s all great! I had tried 335`s in the past, but found them too large to fit me right. This guitar fits me like a glove. And I really like the 57 Classics in it. They match perfectly with my Fuchs ODS30. I opted for the plaintop cause I hate keeping up with the flame wars on what guitar has the best flame, and I prefer the tone I`m getting. It seems less bright and thin than most of the fancy tops I`ve owned in the past. Plus I bought it new for a great price from Centre City Music, cheaper than most pay on Ebay, LOL! Anyone else use these as their main axe?

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Lovin' mine. Got it in a trade, wasn't sure how I'd like it, but once I got mine and played it for a while, the 335 I had just bought went out in a trade. I love the smaller profile. I did get a pretty flamey one, but the sound and feel are definitely what make me love this thing. Could be the best Gibson I've played.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great guitar. Only one I regret selling. I helped Steve at Wildwood get the large neck versions rolling, and he let me pick out my top from raw wood and custom color on mine. Was a gorgeous wine red with a great flame top. Damn I miss that guitar!

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Bought a sunburst one when they first came out. Great guitar like a real fat sounding 335 with killer sustain. I sold it because I couldn't get comfortable on the thin neck but the guitar was top notch.

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I had one for a spell as well, with a flame top, but I too didn't jive with the smaller neck. My hands would cramp up after a while at shows so it had to go. I put some Antiquities in it and it was arguably the best sounding guitar I've ever owned.

6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I'd love to have the bread for one... Dig the Martino model too.

7. 59model

59model Member

Corey, mine could be the twin to yours. While playing on mine at band volume this morning, I got a kick out of the vibration and air coming out of the f holes when sustaining a note through my Fuchs. It goes into harmonic feedback and just blows air out like a fan, LOL! Can`t get that out of a LP! Mine has a pretty big neck similar to my 57 Jr, so the neck shape is obviously not consistant. I was worried about the neck being too thin as I have carpel tunnel, but I got lucky. Maybe anyone thinking about getting one would have to try a few, or talk to a dealer you could trust and have them keep their eye out for a fat neck like mine. Sal at Centre City is good like this. He even demoed the different models over the phone to pick the darkest and fattest mid sounding one for me. I`m off to jamming again as it`s getting hot here in Louisiana, so I`m gonna get those f holes to cool me off, LOL!

8. FrogRick12

FrogRick12 Member

I love mine!
    I have small hands so the slim profile neck fits me very nicely. And face it - nothing sounds like a Gibson.
    It does clean really well when you back off the volume and does that middle position chimey thing really well. Those '57 Classics are really nice.
    I had some extra dough this year and I thought I'd treat myself - always loved 335's but couldn't get with the body size. The 336 is perfect for me.
    Just installed an Earvana nut on it because the intonation was driving me nuts and it rings like a bell. Sounds great thru my Koch Multitone and my AC30.
    [​IMG]

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Just sold my tobacco burst 336 a couple of months ago... I'm hoping it wouldn't be one of those future regrets,,, however, there were a couple of axes I had my eyes set upon and the money for the 336 nearly financed the purchase of both of them..

Great re-sale value on a 336...

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

[​IMG]
    I installed a Tonepros bridge system on mine! = Big Improvement!!!!
    I also Re-cut the Nut, Dressed the Frets and replaced the Capacitors with Hoveland Musicaps = Plays and sounds Great!!!
    [​IMG]

11. saurudi

saurudi Member

So in other words it´s easier on the CS - 336 to produce harmonic feedback than on a LP ? How do the compare to a ES - 335 tonwise ?

12. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

336 is a different beast all together. More Like a Hollow body Les Paul than a 335. = Brighter and more immeditate sounding. The 1 piece Mahogany body has much different tonal Qualities than the Maple body of the 335.
    Not that I dislike 335's.
    [​IMG]

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I thought John Herrington got some great tones out of his at the recent Steely Dan concert I attended. Paul Jackson Junior's signature model was apparently the basis for the deign (so I'm told), and I love his tones. I'm thinkin' I may pick one of these up if I can't find an old Bluesbird that tickles my fancy.

14. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

my 336 is basically my main guitar. i also have an ES-446 which is a delightful guitar if you can locate one..

[​IMG]

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

[​IMG]

I've got it strung like a jazz box right now with TA .012 - .055 flatwounds (after this pic was taken). Sounds great to me, nice and woody with great presence. Sometimes I want to play it with some .010s on it so I can do more bending. Maybe when I get through the next few sets of TAs I'll get it set up back for light guage.

16. phretbored

phretbored Member

All the Gibson modern thin hollows are killer!

336, 356, 446, Martino, and of course the Johnny A.

These guitars are as good as anything Gibson has ever produced.

17. mainsale

mainsale Member

What do you think? I added Lindy Fralin P-92's, wired like a 50's Gibson with Hoveland tonecaps and put on Ebony knobs to match the pickguard. It went from superior tone to Nervana!! The neck is the standard one, which is my preference.
    [​IMG]

18. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

NICE!!! Fill us in - custom order? Neck profile? Story behind the knobs? The maple top looks awesome - very vintage vibe to the flame.

19. m4tt

m4tt Member

so where do I get a sunburst one w/ a thicker neck profile?

20. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

ok, not a 336 but is related :)

[​IMG]