Anyone else magnet-swap in WCR humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hipfan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hipfan

hipfan Member

I picked up some A3 and A4 magnets from Jim at WCR pickups to mess around with in my Goodwoods bridge and Crossroads neck. He has them on a special ordering page linked from his website, for people who have bought his pickups.

I had nothing against the pickups with the stock A5 magnets, but I just can't help tinkering when available. :D

I tried an A3 in the Crossroads neck pup and an A4 in the Goodwoods bridge pup. Sounds great!!! The A3 in the Crossroads seems to add a nice dose of sweetness and allows me to get the pickup nice and close to the strings without becoming overpowering. The A4 in the Goodwoods bridge cuts a little output (a *very* little bit I think) and seems to add some mids and also a little bit of sweetness. The Goodwoods might still be a little too high of output for my tastes in this guitar (Agile AL3500 LP copy), but it sure sounds good!

Anyone else try different magnets in their WCR pickups?

2. propska

propska Member

I've been thinking about tinkering. I've got a set of darkbursts in my LP. I may order an A4 and A2. Did the A4 smooth out the high end a bit? I'm looking to smooth out the bridge just a tad.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yeah, the A4 did seem to smooth out the highs, but the Goodwoods still has plenty of zing on the top end. I may try an A3 in there just to see what effect it has.

I'm thinking ultimately that I probably need a Crossroads bridge (or something similar in output) instead of the Goodwoods though. The gw has just about 15 or 20% too much output for me.

4. propska

propska Member

Just ordered a pair of A4s to play with. I like the output of the Darkbursts so I figure that I shouldn't mess with the weaker A2 and A3. We'll see how it goes.

5. propska

propska Member

Got the A4s today in the mail and installed them in by darkbursts. The A4s are definitely sweeter sounding. The highs are smoother and don't have the bit of the A5s. I like the A4 in the bridge better because it's smoother and compresses a bit more when I boost my amp. I'm not completely sold on the neck though. It's warmer and sweeter, but I kind of miss the high end from the A5. It also gets quite muddy when turning down the volume. I guess I'll have to put in a treble circuit. But the A5 neck and A4 bridge didn't match up very well, so maybe I'll stick with the A4 in there.

6. King Ceramic

King Ceramic Guest

In about 2-3 weeks, Jim says he will also have some A-8's. Seems a few guys REALLY like them in the neck. More experimenting to come for many, I'm sure......:Devil

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Propska - You might want to try raising up the neck pickup a little more. The slightly weaker magnet should offset any adverse effects you get from having the magnet physically closer to the strings, and the pickup might "see" the strings better and thus clean up more clearly. Just a thought. This seems to have worked well for me with the A3 Crossroads I'm using in the neck. Might work for your A4 too, or it might not! :)

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

A-8's??? Any idea on how those compare to the more commonly used ones (A2, A3, A4, A5, ceramic)? Thanks!

9. propska

propska Member

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    With My Darkburst neck pickup I turned the pickup around, and that brought out more clarity

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

If you keep the stock A5 mags in there, does this throw the pickups out of phase also??

12. Marble

Marble Member

you can throw it out of phase by switching where the hot and the cold are wired on the pot I think