Anyone else never hear the lyrics in a song?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarlix, Dec 18, 2009.

1. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Or am I the only one whose brain seems to automatically filter lyrics out? I only hear the music....the moving bass, the kick drum, the harmony etc.

And it's always been this way. I have to struggle to pay attention to the lyrics because my mind is always drawn to the music. I hear the vocals and love the melody...but the lyrics could be gibberish and I wouldn't know it.

2. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Only with Creedence Clearwater Revival--can't understand a single word he's singing.

3. James_E

James_E Member

I wouldn't say I don't hear them... but the words themselves are definitely not my focus. I'm listening mainly to the instruments. If a tune has great music, I don't care what drivel the singer is belting out. I do notice if the voice is in tune or not.

Why wife often comments on songs "The lyrics are stupid" and she often can't get past that. I just don't give a crap what they are saying. Songs send their message to me via guitars, bass and drums, vocal melody, and the overall mood. The actual lyrics can be inane as you want, makes no difference to me.

4. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

This is exactly what I meant as well....out of pitch singer would drive me absolutely nuts.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

My uncle who teaches piano and plays out regularly has always maintained this.

Says he can understand the lyrics if he concentrates but it isn't the main focus of his attention.

Me personaly? I hear the lyrics..

6. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

The words are just articulations of sound to me unless they are particularly distinct to hear or unless I try very hard to recognize words and articles of speech. The upside is I don't care what the native language is; the downside (obviously) is that the content may be very embarassing and I am blissfully unaware!

7. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I thought that I was the only one! hahaha... I have always been drawn more to the music. I usually just hear the voice as an instrument.

8. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Im exactly like this

I have trouble understanding a lot of lyrics that my friends can hear and remember quite clearly

9. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Me too. And I'm the vocalist in my band, but I'm more into melody and sounds than the actual lyrics. I do appreciate great lyrics because I know how hard they are to write, but lyrics are usually the very last thing I discover in a song.

10. Stew

Stew Member

I'm the same. When I started covering songs I was suprized how many songs I liked had lyrics that were either lame or totally unrelated to me.

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I know 1000's of songs, solos, etc. Ask me to sing or know all the lyrics to more than ten, and I couldn't do it if my life depended on it.

Besides...lyrics are wasted times between solos. :stir

12. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i feel the lyrics, i don't listen the lyrics.

i think it's really difficult for people to truly understand the extent of what's being sung while it's being sung (i.e. what the song is about) when they listen to it for the first time. it's often not until songs are broken down and the lyrics are analyzed that the listener can fully understand what every line of the song means.

this can be seen in many instances, but one great example would be something like an opera. i don't speak Italian and don't know many people that are fluent, yet we can attend an opera or a symphony and can be moved by what's sung. the same can be said for many pieces of music from other cultures.

while lyrics can be very important, i think much of the importance is inherent to the singer rather than the end listener. the lyrical content will likely shape the tonality of the singing.

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

When I first hear a song it's the melody and instrumentation that I hear. With repetition I eventually hear the lyrics.

14. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Haha!!
    "Lyrics take up space. Songs are just excuses for guitar solos." [said one of my bandleaders]

15. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I still don't know the lyrics to some of my favorite songs, since I have a very hard time picking them out (I can't understand a word of what Robert Plant sings). I like the words when I figure them out, or if the lyrics are part of the album, but I don't need to know them.

Black Dog chorus;

Whoa baby, pretty baby, ho baby
    gotta make-a you-a now

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

This happens to me once in a while... then someone (like maybe my wife) will say "this song really hits home" or something like that. Then I'll listen to the lyrics and see if I find meaning/theme in the song. I actually had to google and read the words to PJ's "Worldwide Suicide" to hear what Ed was saying... great writing there.

17. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I always think he says 'hey baby you need kool aid' in whole lot of love

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I am the opposite of most posters on this one. Lyrics can make or break a song for me. I was a philosophy major in college, so choosing the "correct" words for what you want to say was/is very important to me. The music music might be fantastic, but a lame lyric can kill the song for me. That doesn't mean all lyrics (for me) need to be serious. Robert Plant's "ooohs" "baby baby baby's" and " aha's" still work. "De do do do, de da da da" doesn't bother me either. The words have to work in the context of the music. But still: a bad lyric is song killer for me.

19. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I am defintely in this camp.

20. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

Me too as far as no intelligibility to most lyrics, always been that way. But, since really good lyrics are few and far between in rock music (IMHO), I never thought it mattered.