Anyone else not a strat fan at all?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

I grew up playing strats, and I realise they're great guitars and can sound awesome, but personally I can't stand them anymore which is funny because I'm a huge tele freak. But for some reason I've totally gone off strats, even the body design, the tones, the middle pickup. I find it hard to play one and get any balls to it, whereas with a tele I find it to be full of balls.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm a strat player turned Tele person as well. But I still go back to it and love it. I'm definitely a bolt on type guy . That's the best way to put it and I can't let myself be pigeon holed into a strat or tele type because there are so many amazing example of both to be had. :dude

3. Loobster

Loobster Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I definitely love the feel of the heal in my hand and the snappiness of bolt on. I love the feel of strat necks and don't get me wrong, they can sound amazing in the right hands. I guess for the way my style has developed teles are the guitars for me. It's weird because my bass player has this ancient MIJ 50s reissue strat with Seymour Lipsticks in it with the bridge flush with the body with 5 springs, and it's fantastic. I like it more than any strat I've played in recent memory. He will never sell me it though.

4. JimH

JimH Member

Personally only like them for specific applications. For all round tele's definitely my choice.

5. WordMan

WordMan Member

I feel the same way - for now. Having played Strats for 15 years+, I have moved to Les Pauls and Teles and feel much more at home.

But I would not be surprised if a Strat found its way back into my guitarsenal at some point...

6. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I like Strats, Teles and Les Pauls...I even like some SG styled guitars. There is much to love about each style. For me anyway.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I look at it like a tool. The right tool for the right job. I love them for clean rythym work but they don't tonally fit my style of lead playing at all. Sure, I can make them work but I FAR prefer hums. Love the body style though. My go-to axe is a Jackson Soloist. Basicly a superstrat.

8. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I know what you mean. A strat was my main guitar for fifteen years, and then a les paul the last ten years. Going back to the strat, I have a hard time getting a tone that I like. Of course my rig is different now, and that probably has a lot to do with it.

9. surfshack

surfshack Member

the one thing about strats is that it can get a real pretty round clean sound , that LP's and tele's can't do as well. and then add the whammy bar to make it interesting. but it doesn't have the power of a LP. it's nice to pick a strat up and fiddle around with it , but to me playing pretty clean chords and notes gets boring.
    i'm preferring my LP's and tele nowadays.
    i just sold my last strat i had , but i haven't given up on them though.
    i've never owned or spent time with a good '50's or early '60's strat , but i'm sure they have mojo.

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

After 20 years on a strat I too made the switch to teles for my single coil work (most of mine are nashville style 3 pickup plus neck-on mods).
    There was something about playing festivals and supports where every guitar player had strats.
    I know strats well and can pick one of mine up any time and be at home.
    I feel much the same about Les Pauls though, but to a lesser extent.

I suppose there is just something about the appeal of teles that keeps bringing me back to them.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have become a Tele guy over the years. I still have 2 nice S guitars, the G&L looks and sounds killer. But overall, Tele is where it's at for me -- I can't do Gibson style guitars though (LP, SG, etc...)

12. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I have been noodling around on the guitar for aboyut 5 years now. I only play at home or with friends, so no giging for me. I have been the reverse. I keep thinking i want a les paul or tele or SG but each time I have had one I keep ending up going back to a strat. Now i have a few including one with a bucker in the bridge, one with true singles all the way and a Clapton which is its own beast (in a good way). I just think they are great guitars and they work well for me. There is just something about comming hoem from work, sitting back in my favorite leather chair in my music room, and picking up one of my strats. It just fits me perfectly.

13. Loobster

Loobster Member

Interesting.

Gasp, I can't get on with Gibsons either. I do like to play SGs and would possibly get an SG Classic with P90s, but I really don't get on with Les Pauls at all. It seems like Teles are the only things I can really make work for me.

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Like the way they sound, but I've never been able to get into them from an ergonomic perspective. A Tele is fine, but I just can't seem to bond with Strats, and I've owned quite a few really nice examples...

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

A strat is perfection to me. Shaped like the finest woman, and sounds like an angel in the right hands. It don't get any mo' betta. Can sound really heavy even stock when you lay into them.

Tele's are crude and ugly and I love them too.

16. Loobster

Loobster Member

I wouldn't say teles are ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

17. phretbored

phretbored Member

Not a Strat fan at all.
    Teles are cool but have never owned one.
    If I were to get a S-type guitar or T-type it would be a Suhr.

18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Always been a Les Paul player, and those are still my favorite guitar to play for most things. I never cared for Strats because I never played the right one despite many attempts. Then when I finally found it, I made room for that one and play it all the time. I love it to death (daphne blue Nash s-type actually).

19. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I went through a Strat period early on but haven't been into them in quite awhile. I usually will keep some inexpensive Strat-type around just to have a guitar with a wiggle stick (previously a MIM Fender Strat, currently a Peavey USA Predator), but it's rare I play them. In fact, I played the Peavey Strat copy at my most recent band gig just because it'd been several years since I'd played one in public outside of church.

[​IMG]

20. chaz

chaz Member

I've had a bunch but I can't put down my Tele. I did have one Japanese Strat I really liked but the neck freaked out. If I find one that's the right weight, alder, rosewood board, and a big enough neck I might try one again.