Anyone else not ever use their trem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alpione, Jun 17, 2019.

1. handyman

handyman Member

I'm never met a trem system that doesn't drive me batty. All my guitars are either hard tails or have the trems decked and/or blocked.

Average Joe likes this.
  2. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yeah, me too. I just started installing the trem arm on the Paul Reed Smith because I finally realized there was an allen screw to tighten it in there. :hide

Not really a part of my playing style though. Yeah, I LOVE EVH and enjoy trying to play like him but when I'm playing with the band, I'm more in the Slash school than anything else.

Jupiter Tarts likes this.
  3. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes but very rarely.

4. awp

awp Member

I've had my Strat for 12 years and the little foil tape is still on the bridge. My bridge is set to float because I like the sound better than with the bridge decked

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Nope, never use 'em. Funny thing is, my first guitar (way back in 63) was a Jazzmaster. I played that thing well into the first few years of my pro career and I used the trem all the time. I traded it for a new Strat in 1970 and used the trem on that as well. But after the 70s, I stopped playing rock and focused on traditional blues, and the trem use just fell away. Now I virtually never attach a bar. I think it'd be fun sometimes, but I'm pretty set in my style at this point. But, you know, never say never.

6. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Never.
    EC strat it came blocked.
    American special 7 yrs later still has the factory tape over the arm hole.

7. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I love strats, I think the trem system with the springs (preferably 5) add a resonance to the guitar that I really like. But, I never ever use my trem and prefer it decked. Trem arms stay in the case at all times.

8. 305thODST

305thODST Member

Depends on the guitar and the music I'm playing. One of my strats with a standard trem doesn't get used. I don't use it for the music I play on that guitar. I don't keep a trem arm on it and I use 5 springs to help intonation. I've considered installing a hardtail but there's no real gain there.

However, I've got one with an original Ibanez Edge on it that I'm working one. That one will get used. A LOT.

9. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I have a nice Hamer Mirage II and I've used the whammy on the guitar maybe a few hours in the 20 years that I've owned it.

10. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

:wave
    Never....all mine are decked

11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

We blocked the whammy on my white Strat, because it threw the guitar out of tune constantly, and I just didn't care to replace the trem block with something better. No loss. I keep the bar off my CAR Strat also, but it's not blocked. On my Shell Pink Strat, the whammy is fully operational.

12. sxcustom

sxcustom Member

trem is the kind of thing that has to be done well or not at all. there is no middle ground.
    so, no I don't use one.
    though my vibrato is wide and controlled enough to do most of what I'd do with a floating trem for except flutter.

13. Dale

Dale Member

I don't use a trem. I like the sound of a floated trem strat.

14. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

In my hands a trem is little more that a quick and convenient way of going out of tune. I've decked ever strat I've owned, and I look at all the perfectly fine hardtail models that are retrofitted with bigsbys these days and shake my head.

Vive la difference, I suppose

15. twotone

twotone Member

Never. None of the Fenders are set up for vibrato and the arm is swung out of the way on the Gretsch hollow body.

16. jujube

jujube Member

My EJ Strats have the default setup with five springs. I don't want to change it since it never goes out of tune and sustains very well. After a while, I got used to that and use the trem sparingly.

17. davess23

davess23 Member

You should be able to find one. There have been JA hardtails for a long time. Mine is #118. I think it was made around 2003 or so.

18. TYR

TYR Member

Fender Strats with vintage style bridges (6 screw) all get blocked using 5 springs. I'll use the trem on modern S-type guitars that use 2 point Gotoh bridges with locking tuners like those on Suhr, Grosh, etc... The Gotoh bridges tend to stay in tune extremely well without much fuss.

19. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Member

Honestly, I use my bigsby as a major "talent enhancer"... I'm a relatively new guitarist (i'm mainly a bass player) that got tossed in the deep end with a gigging country band.

As opposed to learning 6 string, I learned to play 5 string open G (ala Keith) on a tele with a bigsby under the thought that I'll never be the best 6 string player in the room, but I'm always the best 5-string player in the room :D

Half of my "style" is adding the warble/natural chorus effect by pitch shifting in and out of the other musicians parts throughout our songs.. I'm using the Bigsby B-16 which has a pivoting bridge and mine stay perfectly in tune even with heavy use (granted not EVH style dive bombs).

I couldn't play without the Bigsby at this point, it became my "thing"

Here's a sample:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  20. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Member

I love using the tremolo. I own 4 guitars with tremolos. Two are bottomed out against the body - you can only push down - two are free floating.