Anyone else not happy with BurstBuckers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregory49, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gregory49

gregory49 Member

What replaced them?

I'm happy with my SD Alnico II's in my other Les Paul but I hate the
    ones that are in the R7. Any Suggestions?

2. Redfish

Redfish Member

I replaced mine with WB PAF Hots. I like them alot.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

I replace everything with Wolfetone. Caretakers, Dr V`s, Graywolf, Legends. One of these days i HAVE to try the Marshallheads.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm in the process of replacing my Burstbucker Pros with Seymour Duncan '59s. I actually like the Burstbucker Pros in some respects but decided I wanted PUPs with a bit fewer mids for more versatility given the wide range of music I play.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

"fewer mids"? I don't know if I would go 59's then. The BB Pros were bright and thin sounding to me; while the 59's pack a heavy punch and seemed pretty thick.

6. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Get the SD Alnico II pros. Very balanced and smooth pickup.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I actually have a set of those that I haven't tried yet because of loving these WCR's. But...I exchanged an initial set of Seth Lover for the AII Pros. The Seths with a little bright and thin sounding, but loved the openness and A2 mag. The AII Pros are potted and are a touch warmer and thicker; I bet they kill!!

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I thought the Burstbuckers were too middy for my tastes as well, but I heard that Wolfetone does a great rewind on them that completely transforms the tone.

9. Jon Silberman

I respectfully disagree. I hear them differently from you. Even the SD website refers to the '59s as relatively mid-scooped. Perhaps mid-scooped is not the best term, though, as I find them to be overall-well-balanced PUPs that, as a result, have a wonderful clarity, especially in the mids. And they're even better considering the price (I paid $58 @ new for mine with covers!). But as always, YMMV, and that's cool.

10. Jim S

Jim S Supporting Member

My BB2-3 combos sounds pretty good to me. I've had in my LP for about 6 years and not changed them. They don't slay me but they sound good enough for me to keep them there.

11. Jon Silberman

Not for this guitar (all mahogany LP VM). I want Alnico Vs in this baby! (If not, I'd be using my vintage '75 Gibson T-humbucker, 7.4K ohms, in the neck slot rather than a new Alnico II.)

12. Mike R.

Mike R. Supporting Member

I ripped mine from my Historic R7 and have a set of Wolfe's Dr. Vintage waiting to be installed.

I could not get a tone I liked from the BB's.

13. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a set of regular Burstbuckers in my R8, and they sound really nice to me at times, but sometimes I hear this high end brittleness, or fizz that bothers me. I'm thinking about just doing an RS kit and a new set of pups.

14. Erik

Erik Member

Ironically, I didn't care for them at all in my 'R7...took them out and replaced them with WCR Goodwood/Darkburst combo and haven't looked back. I say ironically, because I like them in another guitar that I have.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

In that case the 59's are good if you're on a budget. I've had them in a couple Les Pauls. Recently though, put in these WCR Darkbursts and like them way better than any of the 59's I've had. Just a sweeter tone is the only way I know to put it. I'de definitely consider them, look out for a used set.

16. Miles

Miles Member

I like classic '57s more than burstbuckers.

17. Shnook

Shnook Member

It's weird but I think it depends on the guitar. I've played as many R8's/R9's as I can get my hands on and I've not cared for the BB's in any guitar I've tried. However, I received my 07 R9 yesterday and damn if the BB's don't sound really good in that particular guitar. I had already picked out my replacement pups before it got here, and now I'm not so sure I need them. But generally speaking I find the BB's bright and harsh. Although, that could be do to the crap fake Bumble Bee caps.

18. jgyn

jgyn Member

i have LPs with BBs an '57s. I prefer the '57s.

19. THebert

THebert Member

Well, I am happy with my burstbucker pros. No perfect, though. In a perfect world I would like the neck pu a little brighter and the bridge just a little warmer. But overall, I really like the burstbuckers (Les Paul Std.).

20. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

anyone know how the Burstbuckers compare to SD antiquities? I have a VOS SG on the way with Burstbuckers....I had an LP with Antiquities and it sounded awesome with those pickups. Guess I'll wait until the SG arrives before I order replacements...;-)