Anyone else not listen to song lyrics?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarlix, Oct 18, 2008.

1. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Or is it just me? I've always been this way even as a kid. I'd be listening to the kick drum, or the bass guitar or almost everything that there is in the track over multiple listens..........but I'd never pay attention to the lyrics.

So I know exactly how the song sounds vocally and all other instruments, but I don't know what the song means. And it doesn't bother me one bit. It's always been just the music for me.

2. hellbender

hellbender Member

Me too. I can't hear all that well anyway so whats the use. And who cares what Stairway to Heaven lyrics are about anyway.

'the movement you need is on your shoulder, ha ha

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Often I don't consciously listen to the lyrics, but sometimes I find that I don't care for a song or a band that musically I would I thought would appeal to me. Then it hits me: the lyrics are lame. Trite, corny, or otherwise lame lyrics can kill it for me. Great lyrics can make the music sound better too.

4. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

That's cause most lyrics are lame... verbal diarrhea... failed attempts at pedantry or elitism... nonsensical post-modern narratives... melodramatic diary reading... juvenile rambling...

I for one think lyrics are hugely important... but, good lyrics? Slim pickins.

5. chumpguitars

chumpguitars Member

i used to listen to lyrics... but then I started playing guitar, and all i listen to now is the instruments. If the instruments arent good, I wont listen to it; if the lyrics are bad, but the instruments are great, i listen.

6. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

The way I see lyrics and vocals is that not enough people do them well enough to warrant having them. If you don't have something valuable to say, or at least an interesting way to say it, then it's just filler.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I do my best to respect the writer/composer - of course, I'll pay attention to the lyrics, if present.
    I aim to be a musician, not just a guitarist. ;)
    That said, there's a significant difference between the prose of Richard Thompson and Buckcherry...

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

Sometimes I just get all lit up about a '52 Vincent.

9. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I'm in this camp for sure. A great vocal melody and performance is what moves me. Most of the time I can't tell what the singer is singing but that does not bother me at all. Now, great lyrics (which, 95% of the time, I can only discern when reading a lyric sheet) are a great enhancement to a song. But I need a lyric sheet to know what anyone is actually singing, including my own singer.

I know some people are all about the lyrics - where they can't even tell if they like the song until they see the lyrics. That ain't me by a long shot.

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

................and here was me thinking I was alone here.
    I have listened to lived PJ albums thousands of times, totally oblivious to the lyrics, though lately I've been taking more interest. Probably because of the singing lessons.
    It is kinda handy for keeping track of arrangements when playing in a band too.
    There are a LOT of terribly lyrics out there though, esp some of the older stuff.
    Sometimes, learning the lyrics can completely destroy a song, or watching Behind the Music, and realising that something you liked but had obscure meaning was literally just meaningless verbal diarhoea, or "stream of consciousness", which I think is the code used. PAul Simon's Call Me Al comes to mind here.

11. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

I'm the same way. I listen to the tone of the instruments, the tone of the vocalists, the textures, the harmonies, the shape of the melody, the chord structure etc. etc. and almost never the lyrics, so I never know the lyrics to songs.

12. snoggin

snoggin Member

I would have to disagree and say that to me anyway the music has to serve the song and help tell the story. At least in the best of songs ,, not to say that there isnt a great amount of drivel out there.. Great music has saved the day for any amount of drivel but to me they are equally important

13. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

It depends, but like most above, the music is of primary interest to me. the melody, the tone of the singing, but as long as the lyrics don't ruin the song, I don't get into them.

But, with songs like Hotel California, I know all the lyrics and sing along.

Most lyrics in popular music are not that deep or important to me.

14. JJGross

JJGross Member

Same here, and I'm the main singer in my band - always have been.
    I learn lyrics songs I need to sing, but for the most part the lyrics I hear are so pathetic that if it's not on my setlist, I don't hardly even listen to the words.

15. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

Ditto. I have no idea what the song means but I can tell you everything else about it musically. Drives my wife nuts when we go to a concert because I'm analyzing everything (but the lyrics.)

16. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

On a dark desert highway
    Cool wind in my hair
    All spare a paleechay
    Driving us to the air

The best I can do

17. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Most often I hear the vocals as just another instrument versus words.

18. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I'm not alone!

Yes, I listen to a song a hundred times and don't have a clue what is being said.

And yet, if the vocal hook is catchy, I know it. Kind of like a guitar riff. But the rest of the words are no more than another instrument.

19. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

I ALWAYS listen to the lyrics, if the mix makes them available. And lame lyrics can ruin a song for me. :dunno

I'm a songwriter...

And a musician.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

20. SyKrash

SyKrash Member

I listen for melodies, not lyrics.