Anyone else not watch the news?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dave-o, Apr 2, 2015.

1. dave-o

dave-o Member

I've been out of touch for well over a year now. I get snippets of what's happening from friends conversations or Facebook but typically discount that as " not a valid source". I think it's great! No more gloom and doom and I figure if something real bad is happening I'll find out about it anyway. If its good news I'll listen, otherwise count me out.

2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

This is exactly why thing are the way they are. It's real easy, and feels real good, to not have one more layer of anxiety and stress in your life by sticking your head in the sand and letting it all go by without paying attention to what is going on in the world.

Democracies do not work without informed citizens and thus we have ceased to live in a Democracy for some time now:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I never watch the news. Virtually no TV at all.
    I get info elsewhere.

4. Edwood

Edwood Member

No TV news ever!!!

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Rarely. No matter where you turn, all you see is politicians being the idiots they are. I grab the hockey tab on ESPN.Com for all the news I need! And the banter here on TGP of course.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I watch local news sometimes for storm weather coverage but that's it.

I get most of my news via Twitter. I've got lists setup for different types of news and if the snippet is of interest I'll click the link. I don't directly follow news sites since they typically don't follow back.

7. RJLII

RJLII Member

I'm a news junkie. I watch an hour of news every night. I also read an hour of news online every morning and over the noon hour. I tap multiple sources. I like to be fully informed. It amazes me how many folks I interact with are literally clueless as to what is going on in the world.

8. jds22

jds22 Member

No TV news.
    I have a few news websites I visit and when I see a story that interests me I'll read it.

Nothing wrong with this approach. I get to skip all of the petty ******** and have more time to dig deep into a topic or issue that I find important.

9. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

104.5 gives me some macro-level national and world news in the morning (I mostly stick with Jeff Prosser on 1010XL, though). Sometimes I'll catch the local news before I go to bed.
    If something catches my ear or I think it affects me then I'll go online and look into it.

10. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I went to basic cable so I don't get much news on T.V. other than local once in awhile. I'm thinking of going old school and getting the newspaper everyday. For now I rely on a few choice news sites and TGP.

11. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

I don't have interest in TV news for the most part.

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Almost never. Local newscasts are dumbed down to a 6th grade level. National "news" networks are propaganda outlets. So I get most of my news from various internet sources. Plus The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight for satire and entertainment with a bit of news thrown in.

13. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

I don't watch the news anymore. It is so terrible. I used to watch Walter Cronkite many moons ago. That was THE news.

14. micycle

micycle Member

Nope. If it is on it's just background noise or waiting for another show (usually SNL) to come on. News anchors are too phony for me to take too seriously. The sadness/fear evoking use of adjectives and other shenanigans just make me angry. Do you really need to keep saying "tragic plane crash"? Gimme a break.

When I do want news I'll pull from various sources on the web.. which might not be much better but at least it's not being delivered by someone who looks like he could be on the Just For Men box.

15. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Member

Never did, then I did for a little while and regretted it. I don't need to know about anything or anyone,

16. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Yeah, I quit news years ago. Tivo helps a lot. I control what (& when stuff) goes into my eyeballs.

98% of it just worthless crap that has no impact on my life. Zero.

No news = no stress.

17. yardbird mac

yardbird mac Member

Formerly a Colorado resident stuck in Ohio!
    I seldom watch TV anymore. Occasionally I'll watch The Weather Channel and Sponge Bob Square Pants. I got hooked on Sponge Bob while recovering from surgery a couple years ago (must have been due to the vicodin dosage I was on at the time - pretty trippy stuff when you're stoned!).

The Weather Channel... not so much anymore. I get better weather info from the NOAA website (and Intellicast weather radar) on my computer.

I'm giving serious thought to ditching my Time-Warner Cable TV service. There's much better stuff on the internet now!

18. GlueMan

GlueMan Member

It also amazes me that some people, and I'm by no means suggesting this is you, can watch as much news as you and be similarly clueless.

19. dkals

dkals Member

Don't need to watch the news since I'm somewhat clairvoyant and the news will start with someone or multiple people were shot today, downside of living near Chicago. Will watch the BBC news once or twice a week to see what is going on in the world.

20. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

I don't watch the news - I read it. There is a huge difference.