Anyone else notice how strange Stevie Ray Vaughn's videos were?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Agramal, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Agramal

Agramal Member

I've been on an SRV kick lately, and I was just watching a bunch of his old videos on YouTube. I was a young teenager when most of these came out, and I don't remember them...but boy, these are some weird concepts.

- How did they get that woman to play the ugly fat chick in "Cold Shot?"
    - What the HELL is going on throughout ALL of "Couldn't Stand the Weather?"
    - How badass is SRV in that poncho in "Crossfire?" :dude

2. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I just have one thing to say --- it was the 80s man. I think that pretty much explains it all. No matter that SRV was in a less mainstream genre, those videos just reek of that decade. Still fun to watch for the hell of it though.

3. drewl

drewl Member

"Cocaine is hell of a drug".......Rick James.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

5. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

"Cold Shot" is one of my favorite music videos ever!!

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Almost every video in the early to mid 80s was messed up. They all look like high school film class projects with a few exceptions. Go find Devo's Whip It.

7. 5E3

5E3 Member

8. mertzy

mertzy Member

That's funny you mention the Devo video, it was actually all conjured up by the band as you can imagine. The video is their social commentary on President Reagan's politics toward the far east.

9. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

Yes, that Cold Shot video really cracked me up the first several times I saw it! :AOK

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I did not know that:confused:

11. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I love it when he puts the goggles on and leans into the wind for the solo after singing "Time to Get Ready for the Storm" in Couldn't Stand the Weather. I haven't seen it in twenty years, but thought it was very cool.

John

amoodymule likes this.
  12. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Ya gots ta luv those white boots!!! :jo

13. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Bummer we have so little magic like this around today

14. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I could show you a picture of my hair in the 80's and it would explain a lot. :eek:

I'm not quite sure what any of us were thinking back then.

15. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

The 80's is partially to blame for sure. Don't forget there was a budget as well. SRV wasn't hauling in Jon Bon Jovi revenues so he didn't get the production $$$ to make it slick & appealing. His talent was the shining light at a time when image started to get a footing over musicality.

16. Agramal

Agramal Member

I know, I feel like the kids get cheated. I grew up on MTV, as my parents loved music and had it from day one. I was exposed to all kinds of great stuff. Do you realize that at one time you could see an SRV, Madonna, Public Enemy, Tool and Sonic Youth video all on the same day? Now they show music for like a few hours a day and it's all basically just one long hip hop video.

17. Julia343

Julia343 Member

80's. Big Hair -- I can't recall how many cans of hairspray i went through. Yikes. Great music back then. Today we gotta play hip hop for all them white middle-class kids to buy.

18. neutronrobot

neutronrobot Member

I live in Austin and I remembered that the woman in the Cold Shot video had something to do with Esther's Follies, a long running comedy troupe here in town.
    Looking around a bit I found the name of the actress:

Margaret Wiley. She was a popular actress at Esther's Follies theatre on 6th Street in Austin. From Esther's website: "Margaret was our wild and wonderful star from 1980 - 1999, one of our major writers, creative choreographer and costume/prop maker extraordinary [sic]. She appeared in a Steve Ray Vaughan video, built floats for Ann Richards Inauguration Parade, and made all our wigs towering beehive masterpieces. Chi Chi LaBamba, Margaret Wiley's memorable bombshell character, always started the show after the News Medley by going out into the audience and picking out three contenders for "Hunk of the Night", asking them questions, and letting the audience decide who was the hunkiest to dance with her in sombrero and maracas." She was voted Funniest Person in Austin in 1988; she died in 1999.

Anyway she was a bit of a locally known celebrity when the video was made.

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

They simply paid her scale like any other working actress. There's also an important lesson here in that he was definitely not really providing enough emotional support and attention to her because he was constantly "picking and tunin' on that guitar." Women will often turn to food for comfort if they are not nurtured by their men so it fits the video. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for some men "bones are for the dog; meat is for the man." I can agree with the brothers on that one. I like the big-legged women myself.

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

the cold shot video rules