Anyone else OCD when it comes to tuning?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jdobson, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

I have this uncontrollable urge to tune between every song on stage (when able to). My guitar is great at staying in tune but I ALWAYS am second guessing it. I have tuning trust issues with my guitar. Am I alone? I'm also trying to start the stupidest thread ever in case your wondering.

2. Onioner

Onioner Member

What got me over OCD tining was the realization that guitars can never really be in tune anyways. Close enough counts.

3. AD_

AD_ Member

I use a Peterson Stomp Classic, I get it as "perfect" as the tuner will let me before starting, and then check it every so often.

I disagree with "close enough counts" though - they sound so much better when just right according to a strobe tuner. Especially with more than one guitar playing and they're both tuned together.
    Close enough sounds :barf

...to me anyway

(which probably means I'm OCD for tuning!)

4. rusted

rusted Member

When you get it all perfect with that tuner, if you play a chord does the tuner show that to be just right? Doubt it. If you play a single note at some random location on the neck, is it just right, too? Doubt it.

Not giving you grief. It's just that you're still probably only getting it close enough.

5. xroads

xroads Member

Nah, I just wait until the other guys in the band give me the 'tune up or we will kick you off stage' looks...

Seriously: I tune when needed. I have a pretty good ear as to when tunings start drifting off.

6. dughaze

dughaze Member

I have a different trust issue with the tubes in my amp. I use a known good replacement tube to swap in and out each tube between sets to make sure the amp still sounds it's best.

7. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

I do ... I tune before every song, between every song when im not playing. Just installed the BFTS and it really is great.
    I HATE it when i play with guys, and their guitars are pitchy. They will be playing, and then you come in and its like ... there weird, chorussy sound ... H A T E it

8. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I don't see this as OCD at all. I do the same with every instrument I play, regardless of its ability to hold pitch. Most of the people I've played with do the same, and the ones that don't are often noticably out of tune.

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

My main guitar has a three-saddle bridge which would be a nightmare for the OP, or anyone obsessed with tuning! Fortunately 'close enough' is close enough for me...and for countless Tele players over the past 60 years.

10. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Really? Seems to my ears that valves are at their best after they've been burnt-in which takes a while. You must get through a lot of them!

11. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

I am a close enough counts guy, but the other guitarist in my band is OCD about the guitar being in tune. He got a new guitar a few weeks ago and it will not stay in tune to save his life. It is the funniest damn thing and I am all over his ass when it is out of tune after EVERY song just to give him some payback.

12. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

unless I'm really bending the hell outta the G/B strings on a particular song I only tune when it sounds out

13. rob2001

rob2001 Member

To me, tuning is sort of fluid. A perfect tune with a tuner usually needs tweeking depending on positions being played. But no doubt, being out of tune will turn the best tone in the world to crap IMO. I tune with a tuner, check against the other instruments and make fine adjustments as needed on the fly.

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Put the trust your ears. Even "perfect" with a tuner is not perfect.

15. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

My main instrument is double bass -- "manually-operated variable pitch-approximator."

For us, in-tune is a goal, not a destination.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Me too. I had big trouble with it. I learned a lot of it was playing and hiding certain notes, and bending others to give the illusion of a well tuned instrument. It's an art in itself.

But there is a lot of times you want to tune for a song. Sweeten the tuning for a certain key.

17. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

A guitar that is strung and set-up properly will not behave this way, "newness" aside.

I think too few guitarists understand that, although our instrument has frets, you still have to think about, listen for, and practice correct intonation just like violinists and cellists.

18. AD_

AD_ Member

Understood. I know the guitar is an imperfect instrument. Notes won't be in tune as you fret chords or notes up the neck. However, it stands to reason that open strings should be as best in tune as possible, as a well-tuned "base" to start from. Or, when two or more guitars are playing, they both have open strings tuned as closely as possible together. If each one is playing its own version of "close enough" it won't sound as nice as if it would when each guitar is tuned precisely. IME, anyway.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I am, BIGTIME. We have, 3 guitarists, a steel guitar, bass, fiddle, and keyboard, so tuning is extremely important. Plus, no one wants to get chewed out for something as simple as being in/out of tune. I tune DURING songs many times.

I used to use a volume pedal and utilized the tuner out, that way I could see the tuner while I played. Well, the volume pedal went out and I used my tuner in line, and it was liberating. I was no longer a slave to the tuner, constantly staring at it... I have since completely ditched the volume pedal and tune when I get a chance.

***TIP FOR TUNING CORRECTLY***

On guitars with a neck pickup.
    Tune while on the neck pickup with the volume all the way up and the tone all the way down. pick with your fingers somewhere around the 12th fret. YOU WILL notice a difference, much easier to get accurate results. Trust me.

20. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I'm the opposite. It's not rock and roll if you're not a bit out of tune lol

Seriously, back before everyone had a decent tuner I went nuts listening to people trying to get their guitars dead on, which is impossible as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Modern tuners are changing the game though, it's nice just to take a quick look when you're on stage. I haven't bothered with them much at home.