Anyone else on TGP love the VHT Ultra-Lead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Feb 26, 2009.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

This amp is generally viewed as a metal amp and TGP isn't exactly known for being a metal haven (lol.) But I'm curious who else on TGP uses or at least likes the VHT Ultra-Lead?

I've had alot of VHT stuff and always enjoyed all of it. But the Ultra-Lead stands out to me. I sold my first UL around a year ago and regretted it. So when I ran across this mint '07 model used at a local GC the other day, I snagged it. I'm very glad I did, because now I'm digging it even more than I did the first time.

I made a video clip of it last night and posted it in the clips section on TGP (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=513731). Feel free to check it out and comment.

As you can see, I don't play metal at all and I think the idea of this being a metal amp isn't exactly fair. Sure, it does that, but it does the hard rock/classic rock/blues rock thing extremely well too IMO.

How are you guys using your UL? Care to share any info? (what style are you playing, any secret settings, tubes, etc...)

Here's my rig:

[​IMG]

Chris

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Sounds really good man. I used to not dig the Fryette/VHT amps much, but as my technique has improved I've really come to start enjoying them recently. I've played but haven't owned a UL, but just recently sold a SigX and I do miss it a little.

3. SgtThump

Thanks! I know you said many times you loved the Sig:X. What are you replacing it with? Did you get to where you didn't like the amp much anymore or just want to try something different? I've sold things I loved a million times. lol

4. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Sounds very good Chris.
    I've owned a couple of UL in the past and they are great amps.

After listening to your YouTube UL & Landry clips side by side, I'd say that the Landry has a more "in your face" Marshally midrange snarl to it.
    Would love to try one of those out someday.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

OP - I have one, just out of curiosity, what are you using for preamp tubes? Mine are Rubys, which I don't really like all that much.

I am not a metal player, I am a rock player, and the UL gets me fantastic tones.

6. photios

photios Member

rockin' tone...I hope to try a VHT (Fryette)someday when/if they get back to making a rack mounted pre (hopefully midi controlled).

7. SgtThump

I noticed that the preamp tubes in this one have the "Ruby" label on them, so I assume they're the original stock preamp tubes. I haven't inspected them to see if they're Sovteks, Chinese, etc...

Also, this amp has SED power tubes in it. I think they're 6550s and I assume they've been replaced from the stock Sovtek tubes, if VHT still uses Sovtek KT88s as stock. Not real sure yet.

8. SgtThump

I haven't compared the Landry video to the UL video, but yeah, that's what I hear too. The UL has more thicker lower mids and the Landry has real sweet mids and highs. Definitely more Marshally.

I may do another Landry video soon to get a better representation of that amp. That Landry amp is beautiful in every way and I'm not sure the videos show that.

9. SgtThump

Thanks! I'm digging it bigtime right now. I think alot of it is the WGS ET65 speakers. I'm tellin' ya, those speakers are awesome to me. Perfect.

10. SgtThump

Did they stop making that rack mounted preamp they had? I think it was the "Valvulator" (not to be confused with the buffered effects box thingy.)

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I can't play any amp that has a graphic EQ on it....Why you ask??...Too many hours wasted thinking...Hmm...maybe if I move this slider up or down a notch or two in an obsessive compulsive manner....lol!! Great amps though!!

12. SgtThump

Thanks for the info, Joe. The other UL I owned was a 2001 or something like that, so it wasn't REAL old. I think that had the Sovtek KT88s and preamp tubes. This one I got has what look like brand spanking new SED power tubes (I assume 6550s), but I know you can't tell if they're new or not just by looking at them. But seriously, they look new. I'm guessing those were replaced by the previous owner.

I think the Ruby's may be stock. I'll check it out soon and see if they say Sovtek on them.

I'm not looking to change any tubes at this point! I still have a barely used quad of the New Sensor Tung Sol 6550s around, but I may not try those until I need new tubes in the future.

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

I've got both JJs and Tung Sols sitting around my house. I might do some swaps this weekend, see what works.

14. SgtThump

I don't know if you read what I wrote in the YouTube comment area, but I hear ya. I never really liked graphic EQs for guitar amps, car stereos, home stereos, etc... They can sound kinda fake to me and yeah, I can spend too much time tweaking.

What I do with the UL is just use the graphic EQ for a leads only. I use it to bump the volume up and thicken the tone for leads. So I'll bump up some lows and mids, which really makes leads sound thick and full. They work GREAT for that! I'd do that with a Boss GE7 in the effects loop of other amps too. Used it the exact same way. It's just nice to have that built into the UL. One less pedal.

Chris

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Nice playing and tone.

I think the UL provides a fresh take on the style you were playing. The beginning section was in a style I'd normally assiciate with a Fender and the later stuff with a Marshall. Playing them through the VHT gave it a degree of articulation I wouldn't have expected from ether other manufacturer.

Again, very nice.

(By the way...I missed your VHT 4x12 sale by one day and have been kicking myself for it every time I see one of your posts.....dang it!)

16. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Liked it.

How loud were you playing when you recorded that vid?

17. SgtThump

Hey thanks! Those VHT D412 cabs rocked. I had two of them and loved 'em. I actually liked them better with my VHT heads than the Bogner 4x12" cab.

But I'm fighting the urge in every way possible to stick with my Bogner 2x12" cab. I don't need anything bigger and this cab smokes with the WGS ET65 speakers. It does everything I want, so I NEED TO RESIST URGE TO GET 4X12" CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

18. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I replaced it with the "A-word" that many don't like to hear around here. (Axe-FX) It was actually one of my favorite amps I've owned, but after having the stash of boutique amps in the past I've kind of gone to the highlander approach. There can be only one... at a time at least :) The Axe-FX was about 95% there and did a million other things that I wanted, so away went the SigX.

19. SgtThump

Hmm... I'd say almost to gigging levels. Not quite there, but almost. Definitely not bedroom levels for most people.

Chris

20. SgtThump

Looks like there's only a handful of us.