Anyone else over selling gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Len Bias III, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Happy New Year,

Anyone else over selling their gear?

I’m at the point in my life where I’d rather just keep stuff than deal with the hassle.

I get the mania of I need to move this amp to buy the next amp, or selling gear in emergency situations, but my general dealing with Reverb, EBay and Craigslist are the nut jobs, flakes, dreamers have sky rocketed.

One friend of mine said one issue is that everyone thinks that they can be “Pawn Stars” by flipping gear. He pointed out that since everyone is trying to buy and sell that there are very few actual player/customers left. So this why you get the BS chargeback, or “my wife won’t let me keep it.” Stuff.
    I know that this all cost of doing business but I was just seeing if anyone else has noticed the stupidity/headaches/inane questions have increased recently.

2. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Yep. Really not worth it to me. To do it right I’d need to go eBay or Reverb, and I have no interest in the logistics involved through the cycle (which includes dealing with returns, complaints, etc). Methods short of that (like Craigslist) seem to be offering diminishing results.

Fortunately I have very little tied up in stuff I don’t use, and it all “could” be used someday, so I’ll just use it. Or even donate it to the local HS guitar teacher to use in class.

3. Serenity

Serenity Member

Yes, because i've pretty much sold everything. I have 1 electric, 1 acoustic, 1 amp and a tuner left. This year i will be buying.

cajone5, vbf, GK34 and 8 others like this.
  4. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Inexpensive guitars and pedals are the real culprits. Had a vintage MIJ guitar for sale. Got 12 questions in one day from a guy in ALL CAPS(neck measurements, weight, how I was able to verify the date of the Guitar, can it get a good Blues tone etc.)
    I sold the guitar to a friend thankfully, but the stupidity really has gone through the roof.

pepedede, guitrr, soulman969 and 3 others like this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell Member

amen to that.

sold a few amps early last year and told myself i wasn't ever doing that again so now every purchase is a life long one. no more impulse buys, no more buying because its a good deal and i know it could be sold for more.

i'd rather wait and pass stuff down to my kids than get scammed or hassled selling stuff to strangers.

pgoon and Len Bias III like this.
  6. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yes, selling gear is a nightmare these days. Had some kid with an Ebay rating of 1 who bought my Ibanez IC400 for less than $200 with a ton of really stupid questions. Was totally expecting a diaper moment and a return but he somehow ended up happy.

Len Bias III likes this.
  7. mooawk

mooawk Member

I posted a guitar for sale on craigslist just this morning, and I happened to think, "I wonder how much of a hassle this is going to be to sell it", along with feelings of dread.

Sometimes I feel that I should keep something rather than having to deal with trying to sell it.

EDIT: But then I realise that there ARE serious buyers out there. I just have to be patient and wait until they come around.

soulman969 and Len Bias III like this.
  8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Locally, you CANNOT sell decent gear, unless you are willing to pay someone to come and get it. So, there is that problem.

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

That's hilarious.

I used to love buying, fixing up, gigging the items, flipping....since the early '90s.
    Now I'm just letting it all pile up for my wife to hassle with years from now.

Len Bias III likes this.
  10. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Good luck.
    Hopefully your responses do not included the following:

IM LOOKING AT TWO GUITARS I NEED YOUR BEST PRICE

I KNOW YOU ARE OFFERING (X AMOUNT) ILL GIVE YOU HALF BECAUSE YOUR PRICE IS TOO HIGH

“I have cash”

“Will you take a chainsaw and Sega Genesis in Trade?”

GC USED PRICE IS THIS AND IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL IT I WILL GIVE YOU THIS!

pepedede and PBGas like this.
  11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'm pretty much there.. At this point,I'd almost rather give some of my unwanted gear to a budding musician or young kid if I was looking to get rid of it.

mikey, pepedede, Da Geezer and 5 others like this.
  12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

I’ve been mostly acquiring “keepers”. Sure occasionally you get a piece you don’t bond with. I’ve learned a few things:

1. Always buy used
    2. on strats and Teles; take them apart and part them out. Parts sell quick
    3. Craigslist is a joke
    4. The more questions are asked on a piece, the less likely to buy. The median here for me is 3 messages, more than this and I’ve never sold anything.

13. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yeah... I had four or five pedals for sale btwn Thanksgiving and New Years and pulled the ad. I got sick of the BS that comes along with it so I decided to keep them on the shelf. At this moment I don't really need the funds that are tied to them for anything and I am happy with my amps/guitars etc. :aok

Len Bias III likes this.
  14. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

I think the best is when people question you on specifics like date/age of item. I feel like writing back... ya know... you can use Google too ya know to check the serial number that is posted in the photo?

mr coffee and pepedede like this.
  15. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I sell some and some I give away. Depends on the gear. Last 3 years I've given away a full PA system,
    a bass amp, a Fender Jazz, and two guitar amps. All of it went to my sons. Didn't want to mess with selling or shipping amps and had enough basses in the studio to give one to my son for his birthday and not miss it. I've sold some pedals and small studio hardware that hadn't seen much use in recent years. But this time of year I don't ship or purchase instruments that require shipping due to weather. I had an acoustic guitar show up a few years back during a winter shipment and it had frozen in route and the entire guitar was spider webbed from the finish freezing so that ended winter shipping for me. But normally I don't mind going thru the process of selling and shipping if it's not a hassle.
    Again, though, depends on the gear.

pepedede and Len Bias III like this.
  16. Jarick

Jarick Member

Selling large gear is such a pain in the butt. It's a big part of why I'm going to be much more selective when buying gear in the future.

Smaller parts are still a bit of a pain but not too bad. I've been slacking but have tons of pickups and parts I need to list.

Len Bias III likes this.
  17. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Personally I'm at that point, but practically I still have a handful of items that are just wasting space that I should really sell before I buy any big ticket items again. It's much harder now as I got rid of all my more desirable stuff early, and am now left with a mixer/interface, some low end microphones, lower end pedals, etc etc.... stuff that doesn't move fast and that people are typically looking at deep discounts on. I guess knowing I'm gonna take a big hit on them also makes me less motivated to move em.

18. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

Sold four guitars for fair prices on CL in '17, and made money on all of them.
    No one ever asked to come over, or for me go to their house to plug them in.

All older guys that followed thru, met up with me at the designated time.
    They left with great guitars and a smile, I left with cash and a smile. :)
    My experience has been that the young guys flake out and waste your time.

Screen over the phone and then just meet up. I'm still selling on CL and have been for years.
    Calls only, no texts alleviates the BS back and forth nonsense. Let them leave a message and
    then call them back. If I get a message with a low-ball offer, I just don't return the call.

~ Down sizing r us

19. standard24

standard24 Member

I've been selling guitars for about 10 years now.

A professional shows up, checks the guitar out in 3-4 minutes, hands over the money and is gone.
    An amateur asks 12 stupid questions like "Does it get a good blues tone with Black Diamond strings? or How much does it weigh on Jupiter?"

I like dealing with professionals.

20. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

an important distinction is the fact you guys clearly have a ton of disposable income.

its not the like the rest of us like it, well, some clearly do and theyre insane but most do bc we have to.

people that claim to 'make money' doing it are valuing their time as worthless.

Hawking, pepedede, holoholo and 4 others like this.