1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else over selling gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Len Bias III, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

You sound bitter and are painting with a wide brush. You don't see me posting about buying three Gibson R8s in a row,
    three Memphis 335s, or a Custom Shop Relic Strat. Or buying boutique hand-wired amps. For those that can do that, more power to them!

No, I don't have disposable income. Even to this day, if I want a new/used guitar, I have to sell one first.
    I've always appreciated what I saved for even when I was younger. And if I had to Pawn one to pay the Rent
    or feed my Child, that's what I did. Then when I could, I replaced it with an even better one. No one handed me
    my guitars and gear for free, I worked hard for them and earned them.

You get years of use out of them, and then you sell them if you want to/need to. Retirements coming and I'm not a collector.

I do 'make money' on them while offering a deal. And my time is not worthless. It takes 5 minutes to put up an ad on Craigslist.
    A few minutes on the phone with someone, then a ten minute drive. Big deal! It's worth my small amount of time to do it the way I do.
    I'm not leaving a pile of gear for my Daughter to deal with when I'm gone, so I've been down sizing. You can't take it with you.

There's more than one side and approach to things. Peoples situations can be different. So please don't assume. Cheers.

2. Sean6247

Sean6247 Member

Yeah... I am pretty sure I'm not done. But I have been looking less and less. I no longer drool over the Sweetwater Catalog. I am not the kind of guy who has multiple examples of Les Pauls, strats...etc. I have my Kiesel CT624 (PRS type), Strat, tele, Ibanez, Les Paul (Epi, which I am selling to help fund the Gibson), and Acoustic. So I'm pretty well covered. I have not played a hollow/semi-hollow I have enjoyed including a CS Gibson 335 and a Rickenbacker. I just don't like the tone of those guitars. So after the Gibson, the only thing I see myself wanting is a headless 7-string (Kiesel Vader), but I have absolutely no idea how I would possibly use it.

What will most likely happen is I'll get back into studio and sound reinforcement gear after I get "the last piece" of guitar gear.

MkIII Renegade and Len Bias III like this.
  3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Just completed my first sell on Reverb

everything seems to have gone well ....

But after the fees and shipping costs I probably could have netted more with a low ball sale on Craigslist :bonk

Or just cut to the chase and sold it to GC or Rainbow Guitars in Tucson and ended up with not much less.

I need to downsize .... and payoff my GC credit card. At least I'm paying 0% interest and I picked up a good example of one of my ultimate dream guitars.

So I will be trying to unload a few more things this year.

If it gets to be too much of a hassle ... I'll bite the bullet and go the GC route.

:munch

guitrr, egregion and Len Bias III like this.
  4. JK47

JK47 Member

The nice thing about GC is you know exactly how much money you can get and you'll be able to drop it off and get your cheque with almost zero hassle.

If you have a few GCs near you, it might be worth shopping around. I was trading in an amp recently and got offers ranging from $850-$1350 just by driving around to different stores.

Len Bias III and Bluedawg like this.
  5. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

As far as online selling goes, the partial refund/28th day returns “because the red finish looks more maroon than burgundy” or “the pedal stopped working during my open mic gig it’s your fault” silliness makes it a bit of a drag.

JK47 likes this.
  6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

This is my CL experience for about 10 years and counting through Chicago/Nashville which includes guitars/amps/synths/etc. I've met a lot of guys who've become friends at that. For every cool dude there's a bunch of wasted texts/emails/phonecalls from guys nit picking to the Nth degree over a price that's already often market bottom.

When selling my strat I sat on the phone with a guy for over two hours telling me all about how "no one knows how to cut a nut except glaser" then through all his crazy nit picky guitar requirements then towards the end I was playing while he was talking then he says "Oh, you're a guitar player huh, who does your work" ...like, wtf? The next day I traded the guitar to a fellow player for a blackline Super Reverb, I wanted to SELL it but was so sick of the hassle.

We live in an age where 2oz or 1/10th's an inch here is going to cause a million dolts to discriminate against every guitar on the planet.

guitrr, lexreverb, standard24 and 2 others like this.
  7. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

I feel for the sellers trying to move common GC guitars like a Black American Standard Strat or a Wine Red Les Paul studio for example. There are so many of those out there unless something like that is priced uber cheap, I could see those being tough.

standard24 likes this.
  8. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I still buy and sell pedals regularly but REALLY try and avoid selling amps/guitars. Those are the big hassles.

DrakeSequation and Len Bias III like this.
  9. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

This is excactly where I am. I love all the gear I have, I just do not need 10 guitars. But the hassle/risk of selling a guitar period, let alone selling a guitar worth $2500 for half the value is not worth it. Other things like speaker cabinets are impossible to sell and ship because the shipping cost is so ridiculous. I have some very nice brand new OOP cabinets that will probably never be opened because of s/h cost.

Len Bias III likes this.
  10. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

The CME blowout Gibson stuff seems to be a resellers paradise. I keep seeing new uplayed Sunburst 335s pop up on Reverb hourly lol.
    So if you have a 335 and you want to sell that... ouch.

11. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

omg, that is scary as heck..... that kind of shenanigans will keep me far far away from Reverb and Ebay...the prices seem so HIGH anyway (as a browser/buyer), and, very scary to be a seller. I like the local idea, just need the patience...and once that wears thin.....off to my friendly local shop for 20% commission... you have to make your time worth something....and in some cases, the commission paid to a great shop is well worth it.

Len Bias III likes this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I see it this way while at the same time admitting that over the past 18 months or so the market has changed dramatically and not for the better for private sellers. Things have slowed to a crawl everywhere.

To a large extent I blame this on never ending sales from online dealers (I get at least half a dozen emails a day) with 0% interest financing for up to 48 months on many bigger ticket items. If a guitar or bass similar to what I may ask $400-$500 for can be bought new albeit at a higher price but for $15 per month how does one compete?

Buyers looking to save by buying used can now buy with no cash at all just as long as they have an open credit line with some online dealer. I can offer a buyer Affirm Financing through Reverb but it's not 0% interest and there are many banks Affirm has not yet approved for auto payments. I can't even use them myself for that reason.

CL has never been the best source for selling pro level gear but it's even worse now. Some of the responses I've gotten are a joke and a waste of time. Half don't even get a response. Reverb is an effective marketplace but increased shipping cost have made it difficult to compete now that many more dealers also list there.

It's just a very tough market for sellers at the moment unless you're willing to under price everything.

13. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

This. Truth bombs galore.

14. jammwill

jammwill Member

I haven't sold anything in a few years - used to do eBay and even then I didn't really make very much.

I have some stuff I should probably sell but I don't really want to deal with the tire kickers, low ballers, and the fees.

Len Bias III likes this.
  15. mediabuyout

mediabuyout Supporting Member

Man reading this thread is giving me knots. I accumulated way too much over the years and one of my new year resolutions is to sell off and downsize my sh*t. Looking at listing 7 guitars, 2 amps and numerous pedals this weekend. All mostly high-end.

16. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Member

I used to constantly cycle through gear, but then decided that anything else I buy will be "bucket list" gear. Buying then selling to fund other gear gets so old. The thought of lugging more gear to the Post Office or Fed Ex makes me cringe at this point

Len Bias III likes this.
  17. xzacx

xzacx Member

That hasn't been my experience. I had a fairly high-end acoustic that wasn't getting much play time, so a few months ago I decided to throw it on Craigslist and see what happened - I think acoustics are the type of gear people are more likely to want to play before buying, and I wasn't in any rush to sell. By that same afternoon, a guy drove from two hours away and paid my asking price. If you have stuff that people want, and price it appropriately, it'll sell - that's how things have worked for me anyway.

18. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

The last two guitars I sold went ok. Both are poplular, desirable and were priced fair. I had several dealers message me, “hey I need more room on this because i can’t make any money.”

I just politely declined, sold both guitars eventually. Only sharing this to emphasize how I think most of the buying public are flippers, dealers and resellers.

I also agree with another poster above that the weirdness I really started noticing 18 months ago.

guitrr likes this.
  19. JCU

JCU Silver Supporting Member

Amen. Guitars are a lottery but Amps are a hassle (even when you are buying)...

eternally found likes this.
  20. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

Its just sales, you deal with a lot of this to in the real world unless your just a PO processor. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt just like the next guy. If it wasn't for guys looking to buy, there would be none of the "I got an amazing deal treads".

Some people are also lonely and looking for common interests to spark up a convo too.

Len Bias III likes this.