Anyone else over selling gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Len Bias III, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rummy

rummy Member

I've been happy with my gear for years now. No need to sell.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Member

The best news I can give is that late winter and early spring are usually the best times for private sales. Tax refunds hit so buyers have cash. Price usually trend upwards and all of the dealer year end close outs prior to getting new merchandise promoted are over. For a brief period of time the playing field is a bit more level.

DrakeSequation and Len Bias III like this.
  3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I hate it...wont do it on line
    face to face cash or nothing...no paypal or disputes

refuse to do trade ins at Guitar center or other mom pop places as you get less for it...

just tried to trade in my 2012 mia strat at a mom pop place...150 less then what they go for on ebay...still more than what I paid used 6 years ago

Len Bias III likes this.
  4. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

What would you sell right now if it wasn't such a hassle?

5. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I've always said I didn't mind buying more guitars as long as I wasn't being redundant or buying something I might only play once or twice a year. Well, I have arrived at that point, and I need to watch it. I justified buying 2 Fender SSS Strats last year on the premise that I wasn't being redundant because one has a maple board and the other is rosewood. :facepalm

I too have lusted over Vader 7-strings and JPX 7-strings, but the fact is that I rarely use my Ibanez (original) Universe 7-string, which is perfectly good for covering that niche. I'm perfectly happy being a 6-string, Eb guy 90% of the time, although sometimes I feel a need for 7. I even bought an unnecessary 5-string bass just so I wouldn't have to detune my 4-string to match the Universe (no regrets on that one, but still.....).

At this point, the only things I really want would include a nice Taylor acoustic and perhaps a fanned-fret bass.

That's not to say that I don't still lust after gear and will continue to buy it. If I ever lose that desire, I will be worried, because it's one of the things I live for....:eek:

6. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

I’m actually good. Set on guitars and amps. Not moving any of those.I have pedals to move, but no real rush. I think I’m like the other posters, how we use to love the chase, cycling through gear, selling something to buy something else.
    From my experience over the last year, I’ve just noticed among others that the hassle kind of makes it not worth it.

7. Sean6247

Sean6247 Member

Yeah... I play in a cover band and in church and I have had absolutely zero need for 7+ strings. I don't do the hardcore stuff anymore and haven't since the 90s. So no need there. I would like to get a 5-string bass. I play bass in church and have often wanted a D, C, or B below E... So that is going on the list. Sh!t.... I thought I was done!

8. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

I haven't bought/sold much on CL for the past couple years but have seen various posts on various forums that point to the insanity that occurs. The trade offers weren't that bad...vintage Gibson acoustics and Marshall amps...just nothing I could really use at this point. The cash offers were the crazy ones...some instrument dealers really low balling but acknowledging that they're dealers...but mostly people that low balled and then were angry with me when I turned down the offer...mostly telling me how there is a glut of guitars and guaranteed money now is better than maybe getting what I'm asking for later. I get that CL is riddled with desperate sellers and buyers.

Haven't run into anybody (yet) that asks a million questions and then makes a ridiculous offer...or worse yet...you agree to a price and meet and you get the "I only have XXX on me (less than agreed).

I live near Philadelphia and only 90 minutes from NYC so you'd think stuff would be able to move locally...nope. Only cheap **** sells locally around here it seems. Or, people are asking exorbitant prices for low/mid tier MIA stuff. Selling on eBay and Reverb is kind of a pain with shipping and the fees have to artificially inflate selling prices...but at least the gear moves. I just made a sale to a really nice guy in the armed forces stationed in Germany...very good conversation etc...hopefully the guitar makes it there safely.

Looking to unload some of the gear I don't use and then the only thing I'm really looking for in 2018 will be a blackface Fender Princeton.

Advisable Owl and Len Bias III like this.
  9. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Oh man. Wonder if that World’s Guitars guy was lowballing you on Gibson Les Pauls. That response seems totally up his alley. My Craigslist is similar to yours in Philly, only the cheap stuff sells.

10. bigaust

bigaust Don't give up the ship. Silver Supporting Member

I never offer returns because the pieces I sell (when I sell) are ready to rock. I don't sell broken stuff. If it breaks in shipping, that's what insurance is for. Amps have been serviced, guitars setup, etc. My attitude is that if someone wants something, they'll buy it with no regret. That's how I buy things. I know what I want, I find someone reputable selling it, and then buy it. I don't go to Reverb or eBay to try something out. That's what MF and GC are for. The only exception to that rule is buying a guitar. I'll never buy a guitar online without having played that actual instrument before hand. Having a reliable shipping place, or materials and know-how to do it yourself is key. I take things to my local shipping store to pack and ship all the time. Listing/selling fees, packing/shipping fees are part of doing business. If you want a cash deal with no hassles, CL or word-of-mouth is it.

yakyak and Len Bias III like this.
  11. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Wish more buyers had your mentality. Buyers can buy stuff on Reverb, try it out, take a selfie, play some Blues, and then return it because “it’s not good for the kind of blues they play.”

You can check “as is sale” but the buyer can do a chargeback, file a paypal dispute or contact reverb and (made up story) say the Guitar has a pickup screw that is different than what is in the photo and force the return back to you.

12. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I'm stuck in this predicament currently. My gigging days are coming to an end, and I'm going to downsize to one tube amp. I think I want a PRRI or the like, but I found a really good deal on a Peavey Classic 30 that has me tempted. I'm just worried that saving $300 now will just lead to me having to sell the C30 later, when I realize that I HAVE to have the PRRI!

13. WALL-E

WALL-E Member

That's what kills me. I haven't had to deal with it yet *knock on wood*, but the idea that someone can claim damn near anything under "not as described" is always concerning. Because, much like Bigaust, I sell stuff that's ready to go. I go to reasonable lengths to make the buyer happy (clean up guitar, fresh strings, set-up, etc) and always pack very well...just to be susceptible to potential buyer's remorse...

Len Bias III likes this.
  14. jerryfan6

Unfortunately, there is really no such thing as not offering returns. If you are selling on eBay or Reverb, you will take returns, whether you like it or not. You saying "no returns" in your listing doesn't do a bit of good.

Gemini2 and Len Bias III like this.
  15. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I either buy stuff I really love and intend to keep, OR I buy stuff that is criminally under-marketed to try to flip fast.

First group is, for example, my bog-standard American Standard HSS Strat. I happen to love how this particular one feels and plays, and it's shockingly light. Added locking tuners. If I sell it, I'll lose loads of money. Also will have to deal with kids, burnouts, tire-kickers, and bargain-hunters. I'd just as soon dump it in a trade at Guitar Center before I deal with all that.

Second group is the Hamer KK Vector I got for... let's say not very much. Cleaned it 'til it was spotless, did a setup, fixed a couple minor issues and photographed it at sunset with a really good camera. Almost tripled my investment in two weeks. I know just enough about a few brands and models that I might spot an "old pointy guitar" now and then, one I know has buyers. Got an old Teisco in a Vox Phantom case once for $39 and made 5x that selling them separately after some cleaning and setup.

I find that if I'm selling really nice stuff that is hard to find, it goes fast, fair price, and no hassles. Because they buyer wants the ITEM, not a quick flip.

Len Bias III likes this.
  16. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

Then selling again.

17. sg13

sg13 Member

Not true. Both eBay and PayPal have sided with me, the seller, when a buyer tried to return because they didn’t like the item. But I have a huge record of positive feedback, so they do consider that.

18. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Never. I'll keep selling until I've got nothing left to sell.

I haven't experienced one tenth of the issues described here; either I'm incredibly lucky or my number will come up soon, but I'm prepared to handle whatever comes my way. I've got great "seller's Karma" in that I have great feedback and have even elevated to "Preferred Seller" status on Reverb, from doing good, honest business, packaging like a pro, and listing with great photos and concise descriptions.

I did post a snarky little rant/poll about trades last week, but other than that I'm having lots of fun. I'm getting ready to list a ton more pedals now that I'm near finishing my pedalboard.

BTW, selling here in the various Emporiums is a fantastic alternative. I've had nothing but great experiences doing so and have picked up a little extra jing because there are no seller's fees.

19. jerryfan6

Ok...well I guess putting "no returns" does work, so long as the buyers are incredibly honest. However, all they have to say is that something "wasn't as described" and you will take the return.

Len Bias III likes this.
  20. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I'm not over selling gear, but every year I try harder to buy gear I intend to use and keep. In the past, I also bought things which would just get me by temporarily or serve as a stepping stone. These days I have my needs covered and I try to buy exactly what I want and avoid things I am able to identify as being temporary solutions. Case in point, I only have one item for sale right now. I haven't used it in years.

Kevy_Metal and Len Bias III like this.