Anyone else over selling gear?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Len Bias III, Jan 3, 2018.

1. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

This stuck out to me, just wanted to offer my .2 cents. I say buy the big guy now, don't regret it later. With amps in particular - I'll never go back to the "cheap" guys. I A/B'ed a number of amps last night with a bud, my Matchless was absolutely worth twice the value in my opinion. Guitars are a different story, there are some CHEAP gems out there. I don't tend to feel this way about amps.

2. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

For better or for worse, I do not think it's a temporary market condition.

Lt Dak and Len Bias III like this.
  3. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I’ve never sold a piece of gear. As a result of having the mindset that I’m buying for life, I only buy things that I truly don’t have (it will fill a gap) and only after extensive research to know I’m getting exactly what I want. I also tend to stick to higher end, more versatile gear.

One very versatile fuzz pedal is enough fuzz pedals. Personally, I went with the Blackout Effectors Seriously Special Twosome. You can get a ton of different fuzz sounds out of that one pedal. Likewise, I have a very a versatile tremolo (diamond), overdrive (KOT), delay (El capistan), and Phaser (empress).

I have three very different guitars; a strat, a Kauer Banshee, and a Collings I-35 LC. All three have different pickups. One is a bolt on, one a set neck, and one a neck through. Two different scale lengths. Solid body and semi-hollow. All different headstock configurations.

Buying multiples of the same piece of gear and constantly buying and selling just seem time consuming which is obviously fine if that’s your hobby. It just isn’t for me.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    The Opera Panther likes this.
  4. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Supporting Member

I've had nothing but extremely positive experiences selling through craigslist the past five years (guitar/music gear, and photo equipment). Every buyer or seller i've dealt with has been someone i'd want as a friend. I s#it you not. Good, cool people. Small sample size — maybe ten transactions — but still. But, i don't like in some backwater town with a bunch of yokels, and i haven't sold the kinds of items meth heads favor, i guess.

5. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Gave up on Craigslist years ago. My experience and being in a major metropolitan city, only low end stuff sells.

I mainly use Reverb. Generally, really good overall but the clientele has changed on the site since they started.

6. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I do avoid CL almost at all costs. However most all of my transactions here, on reverb and to a lesser degree Ebay have all been pretty positive.

Len Bias III likes this.
  7. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Silver Supporting Member

8. stahlhart

stahlhart Supporting Member

Not selling anything, which has helped encourage me not to over-accumulate things. If I absolutely had to, I'd just trade it in at GC and let them deal with the buyers instead.

Len Bias III likes this.
  9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I try to buy so that I've got a 20% margin from retail. Then I just take it up to Dave and let him sell it for me! But yeah, the days of raking in the dough because I knew what something was really worth and the seller didn't are long gone!

Len Bias III likes this.
  10. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I only sell what I'm not using or haven't bonded with. Craigslist can sometimes be a hassle, but since I don't sell mass amounts of gear on there, I've found that the cool people I've met through selling and trading on CL make it worth weeding through the flakes and lowballers.

Len Bias III likes this.
  11. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I find selling gear to be painless if you price it correctly.

This means you aren't expecting to make money and willing to take appoximately 60% of what you paid.

I usually sell stuff within days and sometimes have people lining up.

Lt Dak and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  12. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Member

I totally agree with this; I just keep gear and stow it; later, it’s like NGD again!

Len Bias III likes this.
  13. techjsteele

techjsteele Member

I've noticed that in the last two years or so, it's been harder for me to sell anything listed online (eBay/Reverb/CL/Facebook, etc). I've always listed my gear for reasonable prices , but lately it seems like folks out there want me to practically gift my gear to them. It has definitely made me more cautious and selective when purchasing gear, but I still have quite a bit of gear that I would like to sell/trade. I noticed that in particular, rack gear has been very hard to sell (e530, Triaxis, Decimator ProRack G for example).

Len Bias III likes this.
  14. Laurence

Laurence Supporting Member

Central CA, but Canoga By The C in my heart
    I may trade or sale with friends and trusted dealers, but otherwise I just keep everything.

Len Bias III likes this.
  15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

That's my overriding thought while reading this stuff........what the heck kind of jobs do you guys have that lets you buy 10 guitars and 6 amps and 40 pedals in a year? Are you just accruing debt, and selling to pay off the debt? Or do you own all that stuff outright, bought and all paid for? I used to think I had a decent paying job, but over the last 5-10 years I've realized that my pay is below average for what I do, and even then I'm still above 70% of the rest of the blue collar work force. And If I buy 2 average working-class used guitars and one good used amp, then I'm making payments for a year or two unless I spend a year or two saving up the money before I buy.

If I've done 200 sales in the last 5 years or so (amps, speakers, mics, pedals) I think only 2 or 3 of times have I actually sold an item for more than I paid for it. Usually the things I sell will only move if I price them at about 70% of what I paid, and I never buy anything at the highest used price. I usually feel like I get a fair deal, but selling really sucks.

Dr.Picklebottom and Len Bias III like this.
  16. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Great points.

I think as the OP for me I was talking about selling gear to buy more, and the hassle kind of out weighs it. So I’m more likely to keep what i have, then to keep cycling through.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  17. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

That's the right word. Irrational impulse to sell and or acquire.

Len Bias III likes this.
  18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I've been lucky selling. I've never had anything but serious buyers on ebay. Only sold a couple of amps on CL but both buyers were older guys buying for local bands and gigs. (I just didnt' want to ship the amps) All the buyers I've dealt with on forums have been serious buyers. In 10 years the only one or two times I've felt ripped off were items I bought here on TGP. The few times when i have had the endless questions, I have simply replied with "you should look elsewhere." They never wrote back.

Maybe part of my luck is I price things to move, and I think that gets the attention of the serious buyers who recognize a good deal that wont last long. I gave up long ago trying to make money flipping gear. But I'm in it for the sound and for my own pleasure, recording and gigging, not to flip gear.

JCU and Len Bias III like this.
  19. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I don't let anything in the house unless it's really good gear. The problem is that even that accumulates. I have a few things up on consignment now, but I don't have the time or energy to deal with selling it myself.

Len Bias III likes this.
  20. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

For me that's the alarming part... no crazy lowball offers, nothing, nada!

kafka and Len Bias III like this.