1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else own a Sparrow guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by redherring, May 23, 2011.

1. redherring

redherring Member

Sparrow seem to be a fairly small guitar company but I reckon they're a real gem. Of course not up to snuff with other pro guitar builders that charge $2,000 as a base price but they do make some gorgeous and amazing sounding guitars. They draw in a lot of rockabilly/psychobilly/punk/rock/indie groups with their Archtops and Telecasters but my Tele nails those classic Tele and blues tones like no other. They only build 100 guitars a month which ship to over 50 dealers across the world so they're not mass produced garbage, just a few dedicated guitarists building quality guitars!

I own one of their Telecasters (the "Twangmaster") that I bought pretty much blindly from someone who knew squat about guitars and it turned out to be my go-to guitar for everything now. It plays like a dream and sounds fantastic, it's made from Ash and has some really tight responsive and Tele-like pickups in it. It has some serious twang and bell in the bridge and neck respectively.

The neck is just a dream, it's so smooth and fluid to play on and the deep saturated look to it just gets me everytime I look at it. I love it.

She's a beaut.
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of putting gold hardware on it and perhaps a black pickguard, I think the gold would go really well and sit nicely with the mellow natural finish and the black pickguard will accent the hand painted pinstripes around the edge of the guitar.

Any other fellow Sparrow users here who realise what great guitars these guys are making?

2. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

3. redherring

redherring Member

Yeah I believe you can look at customs and order your own from http://www.sparrowguitars.com/

I'm not advertising for them or anything.. just thought I'd share.

4. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

I have two Ratrods, a gold top with a fixed bridge and a black one with a bigsby. They are a good bang for the buck. These are MIK blanks that they get in paint and assemble in Vancouver. I believe that they are now making "higher end" models built from scratch on site.

5. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Wow, I'd'a thought for sure you were!

Ash body? I'd bet my ES-5 that is maple on the gtr in the picture. How does that gtr note out? Looks like the three saddles are lined up for equal string length. "Tele-like" pickups? Yeah, I'm skeptical...

6. Halowords

Halowords Member

If I could ask, why? Maybe I'm naive, but it just sounds like he's excited about a relatively inexpensive alt-brand guitar.

Just curious what you're skeptical about. Not meaning to be confrontational, but I do not see the big deal or what to be skeptical about. Maybe the pic is mislabeled or looks like something it is not. As for the saddles seemingly lined up for equal string length, I can't speak to that but if they were totally unintoneable I would imagine they would sell virtually none of them so until I hear differently will hope they got that detail right (LOTS of people would gripe about that). Honestly, I do not see that to be honest. "Tele-like" pickups, that seems pretty standard. Would that not be just what they are? They are probably not harvesting pickups straight from an actual Telecaster, but probably using similar style to what you'd find on a Telecaster (since, at least the "Twangbuster", that is what they are going for). Plus, there is a virtual ton or more of highly-touted T-style guitars that reportedly do the Telecaster (or ASAT) thing as well as, and in some cases arguably better than, Fender's for significantly cheaper in price. Leo made the thing to be pretty cheap & easy to make, so it would make sense others could make pretty nice copies for relatively inexpensive (depending on whatever options, level of detail, or other price saving/expanding methods are involved).

Anyway, they look pretty nice. I'm just not sure what there is to be skeptical about. I'm genuinely curious. There are lots of T-style and S-style copies that are pretty good for pretty cheap, I do not see this being anything remarkably out of the ordinary for that concept to be honest, so just wondering.

-Cheers

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I think it's understandable to be skeptical when a new member joins up and makes glowing posts about a previously unknown builder. I'm not saying that's happening here, but it's understandable.

8. Halowords

Halowords Member

I guess I can see the point. I did not pay attention to his post-count and was not sure if he has just been doing nothing but posting the greatness of Sparrow guitars or just happened to make one post about them.

I'd never heard of them either. They do have a few artists apparently using their guitars that I've heard of so looks like they have been around for enough time to establish themselves.
    http://www.sparrowguitars.com/artists

I would just expect less subtlety and more of the "glowing" from somebody actively promoting a brand of guitars. The post(s) just seemed to market them as one of another pretty cheaply-priced alternative T-style, of which there are several. This would seem a bit subtle to that (as opposed to the "this $500 guitar blows my Fender Custom Shop guitar out of the water for a fraction the cost" type stuff you sometimes see). But I do not know the OP, and have never even seen a Sparrow guitar so I have no vested interest in this. I just saw nothing that was an obvious glowing marketing pitch so much as a guy who might have a somewhat uncommon brand of guitar that liked it and started a thread about it.

-Cheers

9. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

A friend of mine was in touch with them a few years ago, and on a trip out to Vancouver we went to visit their shop. It was pretty cool - very 'lo-fi' at the time, they basically got their guitars made overseas then brought them in to customize the looks with pinstriping and different graphics. Very nice guys, its actually nice to see them get mentioned here.

10. redherring

redherring Member

I'd been posting much more before I decided to make this thread and aside from this post and my previous 2 in this thread I don't think I've mentioned Sparrow at all, perhaps in the Tele Love thread, perhaps not.

I've been browsing the forums for a long time, I only felt like registering recently because I got really into expanding my options for gear and things like that.

If you're going to judge me based on how many times I've posted on a forum then you're really wasting your time posting at all. Not all new members = useless, know-nothing newbies. I understand perhaps because I'm new I have no reputation and thus you can't trust what I post as easy as someone with 1000 posts but do I look like some idiot coming on asking what the best Line 6 is along with what Squier Bullet I should buy and mod with EMGs?

But then again I guess thats the nature of a forum with a few highly strung members. Not to set a bad first impression on my self but it's unfair to treat new members like this instead of welcoming them with open arms and embracing what they have to share OR hoping to share with them in the future.

Understandable if I was coming here posting about how good my new 2009 £99 Encore was with my MG stack but I'm not, I've generally been courteous, posted with relevance and made sure I wasnt a jerk to anyone, save for this post.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing now. I was just enthusiastic about these guitars because for the money they are awesome.

To pick on a few of your points.. Yes the wood may be prefab and only assembled in Canada but they still look and sound pretty great all things considered and there was nothing peculiar or illogical about calling the pickups "Tele style".. After all it IS made to be a Telecaster.. why would they chuck in pickups that DONT make it sound like a Tele if they're going to the bother of getting the shape and hardware right as well as using Ash which as I understand is a pretty go-to wood for Teles.

I'm not saying these are the next best thing in alt-brand Tele's but they're a damn sight better than a lot of other guitars in their price range in my opinion.

But hey.. I have what.. about 20 posts? What use is my opinion?

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

I noted the number of posts only combined with other "spamish" appearing red flags, and is no indictment of "what use is your opinion". A second look tells me it may be a maple cap on a (possibly) ash body. When someone describes a gtr as ash and posts a photo of what is clearly not ash...I get skeptical. Tele-like p.u.s are generally described as "Tele pickups", as opposed to, say, Strat pickups (have you ever heard of "strat-like" p.u.s that weren't "strat p.u.s"?).There were simply too many things that seemed hinckey to me, is all. If I was wrong, well, there's a first time for everything!!

Aslan likes this.
  12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

redherring, when someone has a May 2011 reg date it's natural to assume they're a new member and not a long-time lurker. And when a new member with only a handful of posts starts posting about a brand that almost no one has heard of, it raises people's antennae, nothing more. I think I clearly hedged my earlier post so as not to accuse you of anything. Welcome to TGP, and sorry if I offended.

13. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I had a Sparrow Les Paul style that I bought for under 200 bucks used. It played pretty good but the hardware was not very good quality. I sold it for even less.

14. the_guitarboy

the_guitarboy Member

I've been to their shop, last i heard they were done and not doing guitars anymore, but i haven't talked to the owner in awhile.

As for the guitars...epiphone quailty. I had a LP Style and a 335 style guitar from them...traded one and sold the other. Wouldn't recommend them unless you like the pin stripping/hot rod look and are ok with replacing all the hardware

15. Halowords

Halowords Member

Fair enough.

Gotcha. I just took it as saying a disclaimer it was not just straight-out-of-a-Telecaster pickups, but that style. I could see somebody saying "Strat-like" pickups too, for legal reasons or just to distinguish it from actual Fender Stratocaster pickups. Kind of like how people use T-style or S-style to describe them as being like Telecasters or Stratocasters without actually saying the trademarked name. But I see what you are saying. I'm not so much sure I've heard Tele-like or Strat-like pickups, so much as it made sense to me. If that makes any sense.

No problem. Thanks for the explanation.

-Cheers

16. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Old post but. , this Sparrow guitar company in Vancouver is closing or closed ....no more sparrows flying out the door...