Anyone else play guitar to compensate for ugliness?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Chrome, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome

Chrome Member

Does anyone else play guitar in order to compensate for, and temporarily forget about, the fact that they have been physically unattractive their whole life? Whenever I play guitar (and I play really well), I always picture myself being good looking while playing in a room by myself at a college campus and having pretty girls walk past the room who look through the window in amazement, probably because I've never received any female attention in my life as a result of having an unattractive face. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a girl walk past and think of me as mysterious and talented behind an instrument, but I know that will never happen. Usually soon after daydreaming about this event, I realise again that I'm all alone in my room playing the same licks over and over that eventually lose their meaning to me. I wait anxiously to find a new lick I like in order to daydream about that female attention again.

Anyone else know these feelings?

2. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

Playing a musical instrument has little to do with how you look, unless it's image that gets mixed in with it and obviously that goes on in commercial rock and commercial music in general because it's being sold like cosmetics.

Personally I don't care how someone looks male or female, as long as they can do something musically that might interest me that's all I really care about.

3. dead of night

dead of night Member

I know Pete Townshend has said his theatrics came because he was trying to distract from is facial appearance.

Before he became famous, girls would stick their tongues out at Keith Richards and make fun of his ears.

I'm sure that many a time, Jimi Hendrix would walk down a NY street and no one would give him a second glance, just a poor, out of work African American.

The guitar has been a salvation for most of us, a means of communication, catharsis, and expression.

4. GLB98

GLB98 Member

I'm lucky that I'm fabulously good looking, it distracts from my crappy guitar playing.

I think we should all start posting headshots and samples of our playing so that we can be given an overall comprehensive value rating.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I'd think that the chicks would be amazed at your modesty.

I guess we could make something akin to the hotness/crazy graph then? ;)

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

7. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

As a kid, I could see some kids partially picking up guitar thinking they could pickup chicks because of it, be cool, etc, but your post is concerning, if not disturbing to me on many levels...IMO....maybe only on a few levels if you're just a teenager (13-19 yrs old). If so, IMO, get off the web, get some fresh air, spend money on a good hair cut, not on guitar related things.

PS You say "I play really well", which I guess is subjective, as in another thread your saying how unfair guitar playing is, and or, wish you could play something that's wasn't rocket science for a player that plays "really well". "If" you cruise forums to get attention, don't, it's not healthy... IMO. I'm sure others don't think of you as badly as you think of your self/appearance.

Good luck in life, sincerely.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Gary Moore wasn't ugly, he was disfigured when a broken pint glass was pushed into his face over a girl in an irish pub.

he was always a virtuoso.

[​IMG]

9. JonR

JonR Member

This guy married Julia Roberts:
    [​IMG]
    - which must prove something about the power of singing/songwriting/guitar playing.

Mind you, they divorced after two years. Maybe she woke up one morning said "oh my god, you're really ugly!! I never noticed!" :D

10. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Yes sir.

My wife and I joke that we met because she was a "groupie". I'm not exactly sure that's untrue.

11. majick59

majick59 Member

OP has some issues...

Learn some John Mayer, Lumineers etc. Write songs in that style. Sing them, too. Play live, not in your dorm room. The girls will come runnin. Trust me.

12. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

I thought this was a joke post...I guess it's not?

13. Neer

Neer Member

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "If you're out there and you're cute, maybe beautiful, I just want to tell you something. There's more of us ugly motherf*ckers than you are!"

14. Phletch

Phletch Member

No, it is. It's insipidly humorous.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I play guitar to revel in the ugliness of my dark, dark soul.

16. ianb

ianb Member

Yeah! Frank said it. And after 45 years of playing, no amount of good guitarplaying can salvage my looks.....

17. PatMcD

PatMcD Member

yes

18. sidk47

sidk47 Member

Yeah, I'm pretty ugly. Premature balding and disfigured yellow teeth. One of the reasons I like to learn guitar is that I hope I can get some chicks with it. But I'm no good at it at the moment. However it has the added side effect of taking my mind off of things when I play it.

19. BobK

BobK Member

I'm kinda ugly, but I play guitar more to compensate for my stupidity.

20. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I play guitar to pick up ugly girls. Does that count?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.