Anyone else prefer to buy used guitars over new guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scott757, Feb 27, 2012.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I'll be buying a Jazzmaster at some point this year and ideally I'd like to find a nice used one. I like the idea of getting an instrument that has seen some use and has some wear on it. But not in a relic'd fake way. But in a this guitar has been played and used way. Anyone else feel this way?

2. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

Not sure if you're trolling..... but yeah, all my guitars are used. A matter of principle, actually. Why take the initial value hit by buying new? And why feel bad about causing a ding when the guitar already has them?

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

All of my main guitars are partocasters. I see them as utility devices so I don't care if they get banged up gigging. I did buy an Ibanez Hollowbody new last year though and use it for gigging.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I like saving money by having someone else take the depreciation from new to used. I like somewhat expensive boutique guitars like Tom Anderson, Don Grosh, Michael Tuttle, etc. As great as these guitars are, they don't seem to hold their value well. Often times, you can get super clean to mint guitars for half of what you would pay new.

5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I got the impression that this was the majority opinion around here.

Most of my guitars are older than I am, but I didn't buy vintage just for the sake of playing something old. I bought them because (as well as being great players) they're unique - nobody is making reissues of Guilds, Magnatones or electric Nationals. The other guitarist in my band plays a Strat, Les Paul and a couple of modern Gretsches, and our tones are easily distinguishable to non-guitarists.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Used is better in most cases. You don't have to pay the steep price for brand new. Many used guitars are in very good condition anyways. Exceptions are stuff like Danocaster, where used prices are more or less the same as new

7. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

I like buying used to both defray the 'brand new' price and in many, if not most' cases all of those little tweaks that are needed in a factory new guitar have been taken care of... fret dress, good pro setup, etc.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Always.

Let someone else take the first depreciation hit.

9. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

i haven't bought a new guitar in forever.

i just don't see the point in paying full price when i can buy it cheaper and its already been worn in a bit.

10. tmihm

tmihm Member

I do prefer used ones - both for the cost factor and the broken-in-feel factor. It didn't used to be that way when I was a lot younger, but as I've aged (reliced, I guess :) ), I got a few used ones that were just incredible and it opened my eyes to reality. I couldn't imagine buying a new one anymore.

Well...at least not right at this moment anyway. :p

I've bought some (and off of you guys here too) that were indistinguishable from new - they were just very well cared for. Some of mine could pass for new.

11. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

Not trolling. In talking to my friends about buying guitars they all kept recommending new guitars. I'll be buying a Jazzmaster this year and I'm more attracted to used MIJ/CIJ that have been played and are a little banged up but loved than I am a brand new guitar.

12. patentcad

patentcad Member

Usually. I essentially bought a new Les Paul Historic R0 because it's my Grail guitar, wanted exactly what I wanted, couldn't find that used. So if I sell it I'll take a $1000+ hit.

Mostly I buy used, that's a no brainer.

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

This is far more crucial on pricey guitars. If you buy a $600 new, how much can you possibly lose? A few hundred dollars? You can lose thousands if you buy a pricey new guitar and then sell it later. I've done that too.

14. losergeek

losergeek Member

I've only ever had 1 new guitar and that was given to me on my 30th. Every time I buy, it's used. It just seems that you have a better idea of what you're getting in a used guitar after it's been played for a couple years and has settled into it's character. Also, any non-observable problems (electronics, pickups, etc) are so easy to fix on a guitar that there's no need to worry about warrantees or repairs in my opinion

15. slap dat

slap dat Member

I only buy used. At this point in time I don't know why anyone would buy a new guitar. There are so many used instruments on the market as well as avenues to find and purchase them that I have to think that virtually anything anyone would want is readily available used at a much lower cost than new.

16. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I always buy used, it doesn't make sense not to.

17. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

The very best guitars I've owned or played are used guitars that have quite a bit of wear on them. Beware the used older guitar that is in brand new condition. I'm of the thought that the good ones get played and the dogs just sit in a case.

18. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

For the most part, the only guitars I buy new are custom builds.

There are exceptions, like when you can get an exceptional guitar (Squier CV50) for $350.

I might buy a new higher end acoustic if I had the money (Martin, Larrivee, etc.), but I'd probably be more inclined to go used.

I especially can't imagine ever buying a new Fender or Gibson again, except maybe MIJ Fenders. It's just cost-prohibitive. You can find used examples in great shape for less than half of new ones. To me, that's a no brainer.

Guild used to make great acoustics in Westerly, RI (from the early 70's - early 00's) that were very reasonably priced... so I'd never buy a new Guild either given what I can get an incredible Westerly era one for now.

19. monty

monty Member

I like the idea of buying used, but it seems all my favorite guitars are ones that I bought new. I guess if I was willing to spend "new" money on them I really liked them.

20. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Amen.