Anyone else- Strymon Timeline powering itself off and on randomly?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BGrizzMayne, May 2, 2015.

1. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

Hey guys-

I'm having trouble with my Strymon Timeline. I gig extremely often, and having this intermittment issue in the serial chain is really giving me headaches.

I had been getting noise from my board, and I hypothesized it was the timeline. Sometimes, the tap of the timeline would go crazy, and there have been times where I've had to manually powercycle it, to alleviate some weird high pitched noises.

Last night I was gigging and my sound cut in and out seveeral times. I look down and the timeline had powered itself off, and rebooted itself.

I'm powering the timeline from a 9v 400ma dc output on my Pedalpower 4x4. I've run the timeline like this for about two years, and never had an issue with the timeline powering itself off.

Anyone have any ideas? I dont' have a backup delay pedal, so I guess I'll have to bypass it for tonight. But I don't know if my timeline or 4x4 is to blame.

Pedalboards are great because there's so many interchangeable parts. But troubleshooting all of these interchangeable parts becomes a real challenge. I'm planning to power two H9's, my TL, and a musicomlab IV off the 4x4. I have no idea how to tell if somethings wrong with my 4x4 or if it's a timeline issue.

ANyone else have this happen, and if so, how did you fix it?

2. papersun

papersun Member

I had a Timeline for about a year, and yeah, mine did this a handful of times. I never thought much of it and tended to blame my power supply. I don't think combining two VL taps is real reliable.

3. BGrizzMayne

I'm not combining two taps though- I'm just running off the voodoo labs 4x4 9vdc 400ma output- there's four of them. Two of them can be used at either 400ma 12vdc or 400ma 9vdc. I was plugging into the 9vdc one with a standard, black cable.

4. somedude

somedude Member

I had one of the power cables going to another pedal intermittently short out and my El Cap would reset even though it was on a different tap (Pedal Power 2).

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Happened to me as well after using the Librarian editor to rename and move presets.
    Made a firmware reset and haven't mess with that Point Of Sale software again.

6. BGrizzMayne

Hmm- I've never updated the firmware on the unit. It never had issues before, but I can try to update the firmware and see if that makes a difference after this gig

7. SteveAlysis

SteveAlysis Member

I've had.this happen several times. As well as have it randomly jump banks. On both the Strymon provided supply and a PPDigital.

I love the sound of every Strymon pedal I've had... But always have some sort of problems. $75 for their repairs is a bit much

8. BGrizzMayne

Seems ridiculous that others are reporting a similar issue, but no one has found any kind of a solution. $75 seems like a bit much for a repair as well. love the way the pedal sounds but if this continues, i may have to stop giving my strymon recommendation

9. BGrizzMayne

The bass player in my band said that two players at his church reported their strymons doing the same thing, but they've found no remedy. One was using the supplied strymon adapter, another a PP digital.

10. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

I was experiencing this - and it happened in the middle of a gig too where it was behaving strangely (like it was possessed!) and the only thing that made it responsive again was unplugging/replugging the power cable back in. It would also occasionally power off/on repeatedly. I read that a weak power source causes that.

I switched powersupplies (from T-Rex Chameleon to Decibel 11 Hot Stone DLX) and it never acted up again.

11. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

To confirm, nothing is plugged into the adjacent 12v tap? I ask because they share the available current ...

In any event, I'd try the firmware update. I've never had a problem with my Timeline, powered off the VL Mondo.

12. BGrizzMayne

Yeah- nothing is plugged into the 12v tap that shares the same isolated output. That would make sense, that the timeline wouldn't receive enough current if both had pedals plugged in.

For what it's worth- I used an external adapter on the timeline tonight and had no issues through our set. Could my 4x4 be to blame? I guess i'll try another power cable, update the Timeline's firmware, and be prepared to deal with the issue during gigs

13. BGrizzMayne

I've had this happen- but very few and far between, and for whatever reason- usually upon startup of the unit. Not as big of a deal as cutting in and out, since that weird behavior hasn't occurred mid-set. But yeah, sometimes the timeline has behaved weirdly

14. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

have you tried a different power cable, and also a different 400mA tap?

15. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I would certainly try a different tap off if the 4x4 to see if the problem persist. Also, if you intend to power two H9s off of the 4x4, use the 2-high mA taps at 12V to power the H9s.

16. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Don't you have to also use the cable that's black on one end and red on the other end?

17. jwny72

jwny72 Member

This was happening to me before I got the 4 x 4 and was using the 300 ma tap on my Pedal Power 2 plus. Upgrading to the 4 x 4 fixed it.

18. BGrizzMayne

Yeah, you do. Even if you power an H9 via the 9vdc, you're apparently to use the reverse polarity ends. (via eventide)

Eventide told me the H9 needs 500ma for startup at 9vdc. But VoodooLabs told me that i was cool to power the H9's via the 4x4 at 9vdc (only 400ma). They said that the pedal never draws more than 400 and they have customers powering their h9's via a 4x4 without any issues.

Powered my timeline via it's own 9vdc 600ma adapter seperate of my pedalpowers, and had no issues again. Beginning to think it's a 4x4 problem.

19. BGrizzMayne

I just emailed Voodoo Labs to report my issue. Pedalboards can be frustrating, hah.

20. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely.