• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone else think they are done selling pedals on Reverb?

lowinchi

nyone else think they are done selling pedals or anything else on Reverb?

Having sold well over 100 pedals on Reverb, the new 'management' and 'direction'... as well as the change in service, fees, and the website are too much for me. Examples include:
- Increase in seller fees, shipping costs, and insurance fees (+ taxes)
- the new payout process, which seems to be hit or miss - mine took a couple of weeks at times, and I know others have waited a month or more
- the 'sold' pedals that clog My Feed. --> Moreover, does anyone really believe some of these sold prices anyway? Some of the sold prices seem far fetched, like they are driving up the avg. prices sold. I'm just not buying it. I'm seeing pedals that sell for $100 more than brand new from let's say AnalogMans website.
- Last and certainly not least, the customer service has gone down hill. Reverb used to be one of the top customer services I've deal with. not anymore

Just doesn't seem worth the time, effort, or little profit.

For what it's worth, I haven't bought a pedal on Reverb in ages.

Appreciate others perspectives.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I always try to sell here first, and I give it a few weeks. If I get little to no results here on TGP, and it's happened, I then go ahead and list on Reverb and just take the hit. Usually, on average, I'm not losing enough money to stress over it too much. Pedals aren't a huge deal, but I would definitely never sell a guitar on there again. That would just be insane. Between shipping and fees and tax on the buyer, it's a total no-go.

7thString

I'm done with eBay after getting badly burnt after many good years. Still fine with reverb's service so far

Tabor

After the fee increase recently I had to start listing gear for higher prices on Reverb so I could still net my target price after shipping and fees.

I still use the Emporium and CL and recently tried Soundlot, OfferUp and the Sweetwater marketplace but despite my higher prices on Reverb that’s still the most reliable place to sell by far.

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Gold Supporting Member
I still buy from Reverb occasionally, but I only sell here in the emporium or locally through FB or CL.

Cornholio

I am thinking about it. Not because of the fees ( I have no issue with them), but because of the buyers. Sold a boss unit. Dude said he needed it for a gig and to ship ASAP. UPS had already picked up, but I made a special trip to UPS so it would go out that day.

I missed disclosing a small ding and he demanded a $50 refund and wouldn't budge or compromise. I just got a $2300 emergency room bill (after insurance, it was $17,000 originally!) for my daughter a day earlier. So his douchish attitude and greed over a small ding really rubbed me the wrong way. I know it's only one buyer....but I am still bitter over it.

Last edited:

lowinchi

After the fee increase recently I had to start listing gear for higher prices on Reverb so I could still net my target price after shipping and fees.

I still use the Emporium and CL and recently tried Soundlot, OfferUp and the Sweetwater marketplace but despite my higher prices on Reverb that’s still the most reliable place to sell by far.
I've also been nervous about the Emporium. CL has worked when I lived in SF and Chicago.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I am pretty much done with selling on Reverb and eBay. I have strangely enough had better experiences with local craigslist. Luckily I do not have much to sell right now and since my rig is dialed in I am not buying or selling much if anything in the foreseeable future.

Cornholio

To be fair, that's on you. Even if something is dead mint, I say it is in very good condition. I don't want to bother playing comic book collector with those guys.
That is on me and I admitted it. I never use mint either, even when an item may be mint. But $50 is ridiculous. $25 is more realistic, or just send it back. He was clearly trying to take advantage of the situation to get as much money as he could. It had 2 hours of use, super clean except for that little ding.

Tabor

I've also been nervous about the Emporium. CL has worked when I lived in SF and Chicago.
I’m not nervous about the emporium (use PayPal protection) or CL... CL works ok here in the city but still my Reverb listings sell faster than any other platform despite the fact that I’ve had to raise my prices to compensate for their fee increase. I try to only sell guitars and amps locally though so my reverb listings are usually pedals or other items that can ship easily.

GreenKnight18

I still happily buy and sell occasional pedals on Reverb. After working retail jobs in high school and answering phones when I first started my 'career,' the less I have to deal with random people in person or on the phone the better.

Reverb wins. My expectations aren't high. TGP has some people with amazing gear and deep pockets, but MAN there are some serious cheapskates on here too (deep-pocketed people and cheapskates are not mutually exclusive).

You want to find the great deals and sales on TGP, Craigslist, FB, and whatever else? COOL. DO IT. Me? I like selling on TGP too, but Reverb is fine. Even if I take a new pedal right out of a box I'm going to list it as 'very good' to avoid hassles. It's not stressful for me at all, and I don't deal with profit expectations and tight margins. Life is too short.

LimehouseBlues

Silver Supporting Member
My preference would be for everything I sell to go through the emporium... But reverb is just such a bigger marketplace with greater demand that thing's move there much more quickly.

Last time I sold a batch of pedals I kept track of where it sold, and at what price. I gave our emporium 4-days head start with prices much cheaper than reverb (neighborhood of 15-20% off), but everything except one sold on reverb...even with the markup and more net cash in my pocket.

Take a look:

Trending Topics