• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Anyone else think they are done selling pedals on Reverb?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
If you think a $100 markup relative to the prices on the Analogman site is ridiculous, you haven't been paying attention. Analogman's pedals are popular effect units and the hardwired, made to order units such as the King of Tone usually fetch more than $100 above their order price from his website.

Blue Bee

No longer buying on Reverb. May sell a few last things if they don’t move on here or CL

R2-DD2

I really don't see much option aside from Reverb.

I'll do ebay if I really want an auction format, but the interface is such a nightmare I absolutely dread dealing with the website itself.

I have officially had my last in-home visit from Craigslist weirdo.

I'm not going to use the emporium here or on other social websites because I don't want to dox myself.

Not many options left after that...

Tmidiman

I’ll tell you as a seller I rarely buy from Reverb. The prices are too high. I can buy something from another country for less, including shipping, than what I can buy it for on Reverb. There is the rarely well priced item, but mostly other paths make Reverb not even worth looking at.

Last edited:

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Been done for awhile, yep. We're not alone, I don't think - seems to me listings for pedals are down. Takes a lot longer for stuff to shuffle off my feed, days after it was listed, and it didn't used to be that way.

Also noticed they're doing a thing now where they'll still show you a listing in the feed even it sold - they just gray it out and slap a "sold!" caption on there. Translation: "People are buying stuff here still!!! See?!?!?! So active, no backlash!"

Reverb the avenue of last resort for me now - facebook and craiglist, emporium, ebay. If somehow I can't sell it on ebay, then it might go on reverb but that's pretty hard to imagine.

7thString

Been done for awhile, yep. We're not alone, I don't think - seems to me listings for pedals are down. Takes a lot longer for stuff to shuffle off my feed, days after it was listed, and it didn't used to be that way.

Also noticed they're doing a thing now where they'll still show you a listing in the feed even it sold - they just gray it out and slap a "sold!" caption on there. Translation: "People are buying stuff here still!!! See?!?!?! So active, no backlash!"

Reverb the avenue of last resort for me now - facebook and craiglist, emporium, ebay. If somehow I can't sell it on ebay, then it might go on reverb but that's pretty hard to imagine.
how come ebay over / before reverb?

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
The biggest issue for me with Reverb wasn't the increase in fees, as it was essentially what was being charged prior if you used PayPal. 3%+2.9% but I had more issue with the payout change. I prefer to use PayPal, I keep a budget for gear there and it's separate from my household accounts. It's always kept the peace and worked really well. I had sworn off Reverb at that point.

You know what? I went back... why? It's the best marketplace for gear in the world. You get world-wide views and interest and things just sell there. I've watched items sit in the emporium without any interest and put it on Reverb and it sells. So, I'm dealing with the payout process and moving forward.

Don't even get me started on CL or FB marketplace... I'm not meeting anyone in person during Covid and the types of people who seem to be drawn to those marketplace sites are of a different elk to put it lightly. Reverb is safe, easy and you pay a price to have that service. I'm alright with that.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
I'm glad y'all left Reverb. That means I was able to bump my prices up and still sell pedals.
And I am glad you did and it works for you. It enables the rest of us to increase margins and continue avoiding reverb as much as possible. I think reverb is a great Rolodex for dealers, who are in my experience quite happy to deal direct through their own sites.

For selling pedals, its better (cheaper) than eBay but both are still worse than CL, the emporium and soundlot. I don’t really buy and sell guitars online much, but I would think reverb has basically priced themselves out of that market compared to eBay.

burton56

I’m done selling and buying reverb pedals on Reverb because I’m all set on reverb, so I don’t need any help from Reverb.
I’m still going to be possibly buying some OD/distortion/fuzz pedals on Reverb only because Crunch.com doesn’t sell any and they keep trying to get me to workout. Come on, I just went to Taco Bell.

Brian Gilmour

I’m done but that’s because I have no inventory left....the 7 pedals I have are all permanent. The 3% to 5% fee increase made it set in stone.

drri

Silver Supporting Member
I'm done with eBay after getting badly burnt after many good years. Still fine with reverb's service so far
Care to elaborate on that one?

I've also been nervous about the Emporium. CL has worked when I lived in SF and Chicago.
Why nervous about the Emporium?
Why do I need to pay sales tax on a pedal I buy from across the country?
Agreed but good luck getting around buying anything online through a retailer... I felt the same about shipping charges when I first started buying online 20 yrs ago because some sellers would exploit them.... I'm still trying to get use to the tax thing and think it will take a while but I have no doubt I'll be one of those guys bitching 10+ yrs from now: "Back in my day, we didn't have to pay tax on used items bought online". lol

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Care to elaborate on that one?

Why nervous about the Emporium?

Agreed but good luck getting around buying anything online through a retailer... I felt the same about shipping charges when I first started buying online 20 yrs ago because some sellers would exploit them.... I'm still trying to get use to the tax thing and think it will take a while but I have no doubt I'll be one of those guys bitching 10+ yrs from now: "Back in my day, we didn't have to pay tax on used items bought online". lol
I can’t remember the last time I had to pay tax when buying direct from a dealer. Joints in Detroit, Boston, California, Chicago come to mind. That’s all part of the game. What really rubs me the wrong way is paying taxes on a used item bought from an individual non-dealer. I get that the blame rests with politicians and not reverb (or eBay), but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to avoid and work around it just the same.

There is a way to set up your “tax rules” on a reverb hosted site to avoid this, but it seemed a little clunky, so I guess most sellers don’t bother to figure it out. Ironically, the last dealer I bought a pedal from direct was using reverb for their checkout process, and there was no tax - so it worked for them.

Last edited:

placebo62

I guess the fees don't bother me that much.

I'll continue to use Reverb as a buyer and seller for the ease and convenience.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Ebay is 3.5 percent final value on guitars and anything that is a subset, like pedals. You have to list it in the right spot is all.
I’ve tried that. They sent me a rather nasty note and said that their rules explicitly state only guitar and bass instruments qualify for 3.5%. They charged 10% for my recent pedal sales, which were listed correctly, and would not budge. If you know a secret, please share. Otherwise I rarely used them anyway so it was no major loss.

Trending Topics