• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone else think they are done selling pedals on Reverb?

Bill Dennis

Silver Supporting Member
I am thinking about it. Not because of the fees ( I have no issue with them), but because of the buyers. Sold a boss unit. Dude said he needed it for a gig and to ship ASAP. UPS had already picked up, but I made a special trip to UPS so it would go out that day.

I missed disclosing a small ding and he demanded a $50 refund and wouldn't budge or compromise. I just got a $2300 emergency room bill (after insurance, it was $17,000 originally!) for my daughter a day earlier. So his douchish attitude and greed over a small ding really rubbed me the wrong way. I know it's only one buyer....but I am still bitter over it.
Why did you let yourself get blackmailed into a price refuction? Never do that. If they have a problem they are welcome to return it but never do a partial. It would seem in this case he played the gig and no longer needed it. Have to be thorough with descriptions and generous with photos to not leave openings like that.

Unethical and morally bankrupt buyers are everywhere. It's just part of selling no matter where or how you do it.

4b454e

Platinum Supporting Member
I just sold a pedal on Reverb and had money in my bank account before I got home from the post office.
Well, that's an improvement.
I've always gotten an email within a day or so of adding tracking to a sale, saying funds will hit soon, and then the funds typically hit within a business day or three.

Cornholio

Why did you let yourself get blackmailed into a price refuction? Never do that. If they have a problem they are welcome to return it but never do a partial. It would seem in this case he played the gig and no longer needed it. Have to be thorough with descriptions and generous with photos to not leave openings like that.

Unethical and morally bankrupt buyers are everywhere. It's just part of selling no matter where or how you do it.
He was smart enough to ask for the right amount. When you factor the return label (he would have disputed with paypal 'not as described) had I not covered that), fees to refund in paypal, negative feedback, etc. It was almost a wash. Then I would have had to relist. Normally I would offer a fair amount or tell them to send it back, but the math wasn't in my favor. Wasn't worth the battle.

I have been selling on reverb and ebay for years. I have 5 stars on both, and I am very thorough and transparent. I rate the condition below what it actually is. I just missed one little ding, not sure how, but I did. That's how small it was. It still fell within the condition guidelines, but this buyer did not see it that way. He was a new reverber too, had no sales.

Mick_Braun

Gold Supporting Member
Not necessarily done but winding down. Has more to do with me trying to flip less and play more. I've had mostly positive experiences with Reverb and my gear there always has sold faster than on the emporium.

ManFromMars

My obligatory Reverb hate post response: I love Reverb.

My items sell in less than a week after posting. No dealing with real-life weirdos and flakes, easy haggling/offers, payout happens within a day of shipping.

All of my items are priced slightly higher than I would sell locally and buyers have gladly purchased. If you're getting hosed you're doing something wrong.

The only downside this year has been shipping. That's not a Reverb problem though. Rates are higher and time is slower. Price accordingly and set proper expectations.

As a buyer, there are less deals to be had right now, but that's everywhere. Just the nature of the current market.

HERSCHEL

Just doesn't seem worth the time, effort, or little profit.
Here’s you problem in a nutshell.: You’re not entitled to a profit, and people aren’t obligated to cover your buyer’s remorse, impulse purchases or fickleness. That parasitic attitude is the issue. Reverb is a platform that reaches a large audience. That’s its draw. It gives you more potential buyers for your used items but too many sellers are under some delusion their pube-laden castoffs are sprinkled with tonal fairy dust while simultaneously believing they’re no longer acceptable.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Here’s you problem in a nutshell.: You’re not entitled to a profit, and people aren’t obligated to cover your buyer’s remorse, impulse purchases or fickleness. That parasitic attitude is the issue. Reverb is a platform that reaches a large audience. That’s its draw. It gives you more potential buyers for your used items but too many sellers are under some delusion their pube-laden castoffs are sprinkled with tonal fairy dust while simultaneously believing they’re no longer acceptable.
Odd perspective. No one is entitled to a profit - profit is either a possibility or not depending on the market. Maximizing the profit is either a goal or not (for the seller). In the event it is, and the maximized solution doesn’t involve reverb, so be it. I can’t speak for everyone, but when I sell something locally for a better margin than I could online, it has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with the buyer. Don’t blame sellers for selling to the highest bidder. It’s a pretty logical decision.

pugnax

Well, that's an improvement.
I've always gotten an email within a day or so of adding tracking to a sale, saying funds will hit soon, and then the funds typically hit within a business day or three.
Yeah, it's really easy to get 'preferred seller' status, and then any payments get deposited immediately when the post office scans the barcode.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve tried that. They sent me a rather nasty note and said that their rules explicitly state only guitar and bass instruments qualify for 3.5%. They charged 10% for my recent pedal sales, which were listed correctly, and would not budge. If you know a secret, please share. Otherwise I rarely used them anyway so it was no major loss.
I mean, if they have your fees figured wrong - it has happened to me - obvs you'll have to take that up with eBay. But they are pretty clear about what they are supposed to be, anyway. Did you get steamrolled/strong-armed by ebay customer service?!?!?

My understanding is that everything that is in the category, or a subcategory, of Musical Instruments & Gear>Guitars & Basses is 3.5% final value, no insertion fee.

openbar

Gold Supporting Member
A pedal recently listed by me: TGP: 143 views, Reverb: 231. Another pedal I put on FB marketplace, 19 views in 2 weeks. Then I put it on Reverb, 45 views in 2 days before it sold for a normal price.

Last edited:

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
I mean, if they have your fees figured wrong - it has happened to me - obvs you'll have to take that up with eBay. But they are pretty clear about what they are supposed to be, anyway. Did you get steamrolled/strong-armed by ebay customer service?!?!?

My understanding is that everything that is in the category, or a subcategory, of Musical Instruments & Gear>Guitars & Basses is 3.5% final value, no insertion fee.

Yes I took it up with eBay because I rolled into it with the same understanding you have. I was told in very clear wording that the only qualifying listings are guitar and bass instruments. The tone implied to me that this was not the first time they had dealt with this complaint, and reading between the lines it may be evidence of something of a push on their end to tighten that up. In any event, they sent me to the same link for fee policy and explicitly stated pedals and any other music gear don’t qualify.

Last edited:

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
you say that now, but you‘ll be right back to Reverb after you’ve been murdered in a Shoney’s parking lot
Thank you for that image (I had to look up Shoney's). Well I have been buying and selling on Craigslist for many years and haven't even been robbed yet although I know that it is a possibility. Maybe I am lucky.

7thString

Care to elaborate on that one?
Sent wrong pedal to a buyer (TU-2, was meant to be a TS-808, I mixed up two shipping labels). Sent the TS-808 before receiving the TU-2 back (my first mistake, was just trying to speed things along and assumed he was going to be reasonable).

Buyer then claimed the TS-808 was defective (dim LED; I linked multiple threads trying to explain that it is normal), abused me in multiple messages, gave negative feedback, and held the TU-2 hostage until he received a refund for the 'defective' TS808. Then never returned the TU-2, even stated in the messages that he threw it away.

You would think that with this whole story concisely contained in the eBay messages, I would be able to at least get the negative feedback removed by ebay, and possibly a reimbursement for the lost TU-2, but no they would rather refund the buyer for a false defective claim and let him continue on. I reported him to ebay and paypal and spoke to ebay cs multiple times, to be told that "negative feedback is his opinion and it is unreasonable for ebay sellers to expect to maintain 100% positive feedback". (Well yeh, no **** when you can get bent over and ****ed by any nutjob buyer that you are unfortunate enough to sell an item to!!)

Looked up his feedback profile as a buyer; and it even shows him to be regularly giving negative feedback to other sellers.

So yeh, at least in general Reverb.com has less of these types lurking around and more musos / gearheads who are generally reasonable people.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Yes I took it up with eBay because I rolled into it with the same understanding you have. I was told in very clear wording that the only qualifying listings are guitar and bass instruments. The tone implied to me that this was not the first time they had dealt with this complaint, and reading between the lines it may be evidence of something of a push on their end to tighten that up. In any event, they sent me to the same link for fee policy and explicitly stated pedals and any other music gear don’t qualify.
Sympathy like cause man that's bologna. I think it's a matter of getting the right person on the horn, but at that point - phone trees and eternal speakerphone hold - no doubt one is working for them. Thanks for hipping me, forewarned is forearmed.

BTW I'm quite possibly the craiglist weirdo others in this thread have mentioned, I'm having a decent time with it :banana

Cornholio

My obligatory Reverb hate post response: I love Reverb.

My items sell in less than a week after posting. No dealing with real-life weirdos and flakes, easy haggling/offers, payout happens within a day of shipping.

All of my items are priced slightly higher than I would sell locally and buyers have gladly purchased. If you're getting hosed you're doing something wrong.

The only downside this year has been shipping. That's not a Reverb problem though. Rates are higher and time is slower. Price accordingly and set proper expectations.

As a buyer, there are less deals to be had right now, but that's everywhere. Just the nature of the current market.

I agree, buying right now on reverb for what I am looking for is dismal. For example, I am shopping for an Empress Zoia. Buy the time these sellers add in shipping, I can buy the pedal BRAND NEW with the 2 year warranty for only about $30 more. If I am going going to buy a used pedal that does not have transferable warranty, it's gotta be better savings than 5%! LOL. Same with a few other items I am in the hunt for.

Last edited:

longgonedaddy

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll still do it. I’ve found that on the forum, unless it’s a TGP darling pedal, it sits until I accept a low ball offer. I could sell it in three days on Reverb and pocket the same amount of money In days instead of weeks. Would I like to pocket all the money from the reverb sale, sure. But the cost of getting something sold Because of Reverb’s reach is worth it to me.

and even sometimes the darlings don’t sell here.

the right answer is neither is perfect, and a combination of both is best

downburst82

I have explored other avenues but Reverb is still the the best option ( for me) selling gear unless I'm selling locally. Craigslist has been great for me locally for some stuff but other items sit for weeks/months on Craigslist but sell on reverb in days for the same price or more.

Meriphew

I saw a couple of items on Reverb this morning that had links listed to their items for sale at another site. Trying to redirect buyers to their own site to avoid sellers fees.

Trending Topics