Anyone else using Positive Grid's Jamup Pro app?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lawless33, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Paid the $4.99 for the app to use with my iPhone 4. I hate playing through headphones, so I hooked up the iPhone to my Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

Between the $4.99 for the app and $20 for the Jamup interface, I was getting some great tones for $25.

Easy set up, and if I have to use headphones (did I mention I hate using them?) I can do that in a small package.

Thought about getting the BIAS app, but I'm not the best with tweaking, so I think I'll just buy some additional amps and effects in the Jamup app.

Color me impressed!

Wes

2. UliM

UliM Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I have been using Jamup Pro with BIAS for quite some time now. I think they sound great. Haven't gigged with them though.
    For that matter I trust my Axe Fx....

3. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I already hate you, Lain:) ha

4. Lain

Lain Member

Don't worry, everyone does :D :beer

5. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I will be using it and Bias when I get refunded for a purchase so I can buy an iPad and a L6 SonicPort.

6. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

My favorite iPhone app for guitar

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

JamUp is excellent, provided you have a good digital interface. It's still probably my favorite of all the iOS options. BIAS is their amp designer and on the newer devices, it integrates pretty well with JamUp XT.

ToneStack by Yonac is probably the next best competitor in terms of the amount of "stuff" they offer - crazy number of effects in that package. Some of the amps are just a little less "full" or convincing to me compared to JamUp.

Also see Flying Haggis, and Mobile POD for some affordable alternatives. Really, all the apps do something well - I have basically all of them for the price of about a real-life pedal or two.

8. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, guys! I've only had the $20 Jamup Plug for a week or so and haven't had time to dial in my own tones through my iPhone 4. But the stock tones have been stellar so far.

9. BenoA

BenoA Member

I bought JamUp and it has too much latency for my taste with my Apogee Jam and Iphone5. How do you guys get to set it up to improve latency? Except that it does sound good.

From all the one I tested, the free AmpKit app has been the one with the lowest latency.

10. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Yep, this is exactly what I have done exactly, PE60 and all. It's a great practice set up if I don't want to drag out the POD and all.

11. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I just plug my guitar into the Jamup Plug into the iPhone4 and haven't noticed any latency. Maybe I'm just deaf:)

Wes

12. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I'm such a bad tweaker that this setup has just seemed a lot easier than my POD HD500 and Eleven Rack.

13. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I get no latency with my iPhone 6. Jamup is a surprisingly great product!

14. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Aha ! Lawless33, so YOU are the guy who bought the one copy they had on the App Store. I heard they were going to upload another copy for sale, but found that they had run short of the '1's and '0's their programmers used.

Last I heard they were waiting on a backorder of 1's and 0's but I really hope that they use NOS 1's and 0's and not some cheap replica binary digits from Asia...

:D

Ok - enough jesting. Yes, I use that app plus a few others on my iPad. They are great. I'd also check out ToneStack - to my ears, it has slightly better sound modelling, but it is all subjective...

As for latency, I don't really notice it either. I guess it can depend on the interface you use. I use the Apogee JAM with no issues at all.

Brian N likes this.
  15. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Same issue here on an iPhone 6. JamUp and Bias both have noticeable latency, it's not major but it's enough to bother me. I've had the same issue on my Macbook with an Apogee Duet so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to it.

16. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

Quick update: I tried the ultra-low latency mode, it cut the latency to a nearly unnoticeable level. However I'm realizing that software gear probably isn't for me (he says after already buying and selling an Apogee Duet, Komplete Audio 6, and now iRig Pro)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  17. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

I'm away from home for a while and using Jam Up Pro and Bias to create some cool tones--and then playing over jam tracks in headphones (apartment dwelling). Actually, surprising good tones and feel for the price--using the ultra low latency mode.

IMHO, great for practicing--or for a super light rig on the go!

18. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I do most of my practicing on my iPad using an Apogee Jam 96, the Bias amp app, and the Jam Up Pro virtual pedalboard and metronome. I like it a lot.

I have ZERO latency on my iPad Air 2.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  19. jb2

jb2 Member

I've been using it on the iPad with an irig pro without issue. It's only been with headphones I've got to send it out yo some speakers and hear it. I got the desktop pro setup. It's easy to set up, tweak and jam. I can lay down track ideas just chillng with family in family room. Just gave a go at amp matching with a jb jtm high gain and jb jtm clean ish. I like it so far. It's pretty cool and easy to tweak out your own tone.