• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone else wish the mini jubilee was a mini 2203/4 instead

stratplexi

I see your point...I just don't keep gear long enough to fuss over details. About a year with something and I'm ready to move it and play something else. Probably why I will never buy anything booteek...

gldtp99

Doesn't Fargen make a similar amp ?
I built a 25 watt, 6V6 x 2 version of a JCM 800 several yrs ago (along with an EL84 x 2, 14 watt version)---- the 25 watt head was snapped up by a local player who loved it in my shop and was sure that it would have enough power to run with his band unmiked--- He brought it back because it didn't have enough clean headroom at band volume, and bought a 50 watt JCM 800 clone from me.
Later on another player fell in love with this head in my shop---- I did some moderate gain mods and added a Metro FX loop for him and he bought it, thinking that it would have enough power to work unmiked with his band----- He brought it back because it didn't have enough clean headroom at band volume and he bought a cleaner version of a 50 watt 2204 (with Metro FX Loop) that I was building at the time---- he's very happy with it.
A few years later another player falls in love with this 25 watt JCM 800 head and plays it extensively in my shop--- he even brings his band over to jam at volume in my shop to try out the head--- I listen to the whole band (loud three piece rock band) and it seems, to me, that the 25 watt amp is underpowered for this application--- I try to sell him a 50 watt JCM 800 clone but he believes in the 25 watter and he buys it----- He has a larger Bogner (not sure what model) he plays on stage and uses the 25 watt JCM 800 clone mostly for recording----- he is still happy with it.

JCM 800 25 watt head:

The "Guts" control is a Lar/Mar PPIMV.
After my experience with building/selling this amp i'm not in a hurry to build more of them---- most of my customers play onstage in loud bands and amps of this power range don't work well for them.
Even 50 watt amps sometimes lack the "punch/depth" that most of my customers are looking for so I do mostly 100-150 watt heads.
Most bands I deal with have practice spaces with only basic PA support (vocals and maybe kick drum) so the guitar amp has to hold its own in this environment----- sometimes the clubs they play have PA systems that are no better.

Fargen-- here's a similar amp built by Ben Fargen:
http://www.exclusiveamps.com/dual-british-classic/

Here's a link to the band that owns the 25 watt JCM 800 that I built---- I understand it was used on their new album about to come out: http://www.sonarlights.com/

My thoughts on all this are that a 50 watt JCM 800 can be played at low volume levels (attenuator, regular MV, or PPIMV) and do everything a 25 watt JCM 800 clone can do and usually sound better while doing it----- more power usually yields a deeper, richer tone even at low volumes-----and a 50 watter has enough power to run with most bands on its own if necessary.................. gldtp99

Last edited:
Well rather than replace the Jubilee...why not just add a true 25 watt JCM800 to the product line? Certainly BOTH would sell very well and its arguable the 2203/2204 is the most beloved circuit Marshall ever created....maybe Plexi is first.

In looking back at Marshall's 50th Anniversary offerings the 1 watt amps are bunches of fun but just why oh why didn't they make them each 25 watts like the Mini Jubilee and put the damn power scale knob on them to get them down to .1 watt if you wanted like the AFD100 and the YJM100. They did power scaling on those two heads...and that was that.

Then the amp can be used to play out and about at 25 watts without some reamping setup

dumbell78

Sirloin did that through Ceriatone not long ago, I agree its a cool idea. His amp had 6v6 power tubes.

manimal

I think it would be a brilliant move from Marshall to ADD this to their lineup!
The 800 Reissue is almost untouchable in many ways. From the price, the wattage, and the fact that originals can be had for like a grand less.
An 800 head, 20 watts like the Jub, nail the 800 tone best way possible, 6 knobber w verticals inputs....$1299 head/$1499 combo.
Hot cakes!

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
gldtp99 and Sirloin hit on the options I'd recommend.
Fargen Olde 800 MkII combo or a Ceriatone chassis in whatever setup you decide. The Fargen, with the three different modes, is a very sweet amp. Love it.
The clips I've heard of @Sirloin Ceriatones were fantastic.
I actually had the pleasure of hanging out at @gldtp99 shop and taking some of his amps for a spin. There was one that was like a hotrodded 2204 around 20 watts, if I'm not mistaken, that nailed GnR tones. I actually saw one of his amps in use by a local band this past Saturday night. Sounded great! I'd be happy to rock one of his builds.
The DSL15 that's being blown out on clearance at the local GCs is probably close enough for Marshall.

Just get the DS and be done with it! Ha!!! (and by done with it, I mean for a while...)

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
gldtp99 and Sirloin hit on the options I'd recommend.
Fargen Olde 800 MkII combo or a Ceriatone chassis in whatever setup you decide. The Fargen, with the three different modes, is a very sweet amp. Love it.
The clips I've heard of @Sirloin Ceriatones were fantastic.
I actually had the pleasure of hanging out at @gldtp99 shop and taking some of his amps for a spin. There was one that was like a hotrodded 2204 around 20 watts, if I'm not mistaken, that nailed GnR tones. I actually saw one of his amps in use by a local band this past Saturday night. Sounded great! I'd be happy to rock one of his builds.
The DSL15 that's being blown out on clearance at the local GCs is probably close enough for Marshall.

Just get the DS and be done with it! Ha!!! (and by done with it, I mean for a while...)
I know I'm gonna end up with a DS40 but wouldn't a JCM5 be a fun little toy to mess around with?

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't Fargen make a similar amp ?
I built a 25 watt, 6V6 x 2 version of a JCM 800 several yrs ago (along with an EL84 x 2, 14 watt version)---- the 25 watt head was snapped up by a local player who loved it in my shop and was sure that it would have enough power to run with his band unmiked--- He brought it back because it didn't have enough clean headroom at band volume, and bought a 50 watt JCM 800 clone from me.
Later on another player fell in love with this head in my shop---- I did some moderate gain mods and added a Metro FX loop for him and he bought it, thinking that it would have enough power to work unmiked with his band----- He brought it back because it didn't have enough clean headroom at band volume and he bought a cleaner version of a 50 watt 2204 (with Metro FX Loop) that I was building at the time---- he's very happy with it.
A few years later another player falls in love with this 25 watt JCM 800 head and plays it extensively in my shop--- he even brings his band over to jam at volume in my shop to try out the head--- I listen to the whole band (loud three piece rock band) and it seems, to me, that the 25 watt amp is underpowered for this application--- I try to sell him a 50 watt JCM 800 clone but he believes in the 25 watter and he buys it----- He has a larger Bogner (not sure what model) he plays on stage and uses the 25 watt JCM 800 clone mostly for recording----- he is still happy with it.

JCM 800 25 watt head:

The "Guts" control is a Lar/Mar PPIMV.
After my experience with building/selling this amp i'm not in a hurry to build more of them---- most of my customers play onstage in loud bands and amps of this power range don't work well for them.
Even 50 watt amps sometimes lack the "punch/depth" that most of my customers are looking for so I do mostly 100-150 watt heads.
Most bands I deal with have practice spaces with only basic PA support (vocals and maybe kick drum) so the guitar amp has to hold its own in this environment----- sometimes the clubs they play have PA systems that are no better.

Fargen-- here's a similar amp built by Ben Fargen:
http://www.exclusiveamps.com/dual-british-classic/

Here's a link to the band that owns the 25 watt JCM 800 that I built---- I understand it was used on their new album about to come out: http://www.sonarlights.com/

My thoughts on all this are that a 50 watt JCM 800 can be played at low volume levels (attenuator, regular MV, or PPIMV) and do everything a 25 watt JCM 800 clone can do and usually sound better while doing it----- more power usually yields a deeper, richer tone even at low volumes-----and a 50 watter has enough power to run with most bands on its own if necessary.................. gldtp99
I used to own a Fargen Miniplex MKII. Great amp. I sold it because it was a small amp in a huge head cabinet that was a bear to carry around with a speaker cab. He's fixed that now with with the smaller head cab and also added a few features to make it a much better amp in my opinion. I also used to own a 2204 head. I sold it because I have a Friedman JJ100 and if I'm going to load a head and cab in and out of the car, it sure as heck is going to be the better sounding JJ over the 2204. Are you seeing the theme here? I want a mini 2203/4 I can take to a blues jam, practice, jam with my friends, and play at home. I have the JJ and a JTM45 that can handle any live situation with a drummer that warrants volume and the work necessary to carry them. A small blues jam or jamming out with my buddy down the street is not worth dragging massive head and cab around.

I did ask Ben about an Olde 800 or Miniplex combo. He said it would be about 40-ish+lbs which is still more than I want. I've been wanting to ask him about doing his discontinued Microplex in a small combo.

If the DSL5C was a JCM5C made in England, I'd own one already. The 2525C reeeealy tempts me, but its 40lbs and at that point I'm probably getting a Dirty Shirley. The DSL5C has gotten horrible reviews or might look past where its made and grab a used one cheap. A 30lb mini JCM800 single channel with loop combo is what I'm really looking, but right now the 2525 is the closest Marshall gets to that right now.

Last edited:

PaisleyWookie

A 20w 800 would be cool. I'm still really digging the Silver Jube though, and will likely pick the head up in 2017.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom