• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone ever A/B'ed a Strat with 3 position vs 5 position toggle switch...

jumpnblues

...to see which produces the best tone or to see if there's really a difference? Was it speculation or was there an obvious difference? I've read where some say there's a difference, but how did they arrive at that conclusion? I've only had 5 position switches for the last 15-20 years so I don't honestly know if there's an appreciable difference in tone quality.
I also have the back pu hooked to the back tone control, so you can adjust the tone and have push-pull tone pots allowing for the bridge pu and neck pu to be played together and some OOP positions. All this allows for a lot of tonal versatility but my top priority is good tone, so I don't want to compromise it with too much switching. I've been playing professionally, semi-professionally, and non-professionally for 48 years and have a very discerning ear. Thus, as I said, tone is the priority vs versatility. So, is there a genuine improvement in tone with simpler switching? Thanks for your comments.

Tom

M

Member 995

One typical difference is that the middle pickup on a 3-way switch doesn't need to be RWRP, as it never serves a hum-canceling role.

I'm skeptical about the 5-way vs. 3-way switch having much of an impact on the sound.

jay42

I bet a high quality part could sound better than a really cheap one, especially after a few years of use. Nothing to do with the number of stops though.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
I'm skeptical about the 5-way vs. 3-way switch having much of an impact on the sound.
Some people swear it does but electrically they are identical so...frankly I can't see why there would be a difference in sound.

Trending Topics