1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever bought a used high-end guitar and found out the seller scammed them??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by semi-hollowbody, May 18, 2011.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

You know, by removing good stock pups and putting in crap pups, or by putting a fender mia neck with serial number on a squier body lol...

has anyone ever purposely misrepresented a guitar that you were buying?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

not personally, but i've heard of ye olde trick of sellers hoarding low serial number neck plates from duo sonics and mustangs and putting them on "strats."

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

The vintage market has always been pretty shady, IMHO. Many have no problem with nailing anyone who's not in their "inner circle" just for fun.

And now with E-bay, CL, etc., it's filtered down to the bottom feeders, too.

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Nope. Can't say that they have.

6. korby

korby Member

I've had some high end guitars where I thought I was being scammed the craftsmanship was so poor , but no thats just how they make them .

7. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Because the OP isn't asking about deals on TGP specifically, and isn't asking to "name names" just relay the story. If everything stays anonymous (as you will see on many threads) it should be fine.

8. zastruga

zastruga Member

Had a friend go try to buy a "vintage" Strat and it ended up being a Squier with a very crudely replaced headstock logo (hand-painted on, I believe) and all identification marks conveniently covered (or completely removed) by "road wear". Very obvious fake.

In the seller's defense, he was not a guitar player and had no idea what he had. He was a landlord that had accepted it as rent. The low-life who gave it to him assured him it was vintage Fender and worth well over what was owed in rent. Needless to say, the culprit was evicted that day.

9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Yes unfortunately, but it will never EVER happen again.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

exactly...it was hypothetical as well

I bought a mia strat from a mom pop store...shortly afterwards the pot knobs ended up stripped....i had someone else look it over carefully and they verified it had the electronics, pups, body that it was supposed to have, i was thinking about my paranoia while waiting for the guy to look at it...

ive never bought anything on tgp therefore have NO deals gone bad...or good for that matter :)

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Nope, can't say that I have...but I only buy guitars that I can play (and inspect, if necessary) in person. I also know what to look for on vintage guitars.

12. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

13. small axe

small axe Member

no...but i did pay too much for what i got

14. corpraider69

corpraider69 Member

Alot of people dont know they have been scammed yet? So if the person never realizes it were they scammed?

15. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

I did Guitar shows for years, and I have seen just about every scam you could imagine. By dealers, and AND people walking in the door with stuff. Had some misrepresented stuff off of ebay, and scammers who bought stuff. Never had any problems here, just 1 issue that was quickly worked out, nothing intentional. Vintage high dollar stuff should be bought from reputable dealers, or individuals. Too many variables, even experts can get fooled. Sad it has to be that way. With some of the dollars involved, and several being more of a commodity now.

16. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I've done many guitar shows as well. I rarely see a dealer guitar misrepresented - when they are notified they immediately make a correction. On the other hand, there are a LOT of guitars coming in the doors of guitars shows that are at best misrepresented due to lack of knowledge and at worst outright scams.

17. G Man

G Man Member

I bought a guitar of TGP a couple of years ago that was sold as nicely modified with Rio Grande pups. When I got it the Rio Grande P90 cover had some other no name P90 under it, and the bridge pup had been swapped out for a cheap SD of some sort. The wiring was also totally fubar'd, and I most likely paid too much for it as well. By the time I had it properly set up with new Rio Grande's and had the wiring sorted, I had definitely spent too much. Fortunately, the guitar is a killer guitar and therefore worth it to me in the long run. However, I will never get my money back out of it.

18. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

maybe not "high end" but i did aquire a 72' thinline in a partial trade and the prick forgot to mention there were 2 gouges in the body...
    was really pissed the guy is a member her but a total deuche and was more than happy to trade him an artist PRS that i personally thought was a POS to begin with...

19. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

20. LTE

LTE Member

Not high end, but an employee at one of the branch stores (the store is no longer open) knowingly bought fake Fenders, sold them as the real thing. Of course when one bite him on the @ss, he claimed that deal was done and there was nothing to be done.