Anyone ever closed a Classic 50 2x12 Combo back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aahzz, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I've discovered is that all I really need to get the tone I want is a closed back. I can only get the C50 so close to the wall, and anyway I'd like to gig again some day, so I'm wondering about using something to change it from open to closed. It's the 2x12 combo, with the standard Blue Marvel speakers.

Disclaimer - I am NOT good with woodworking, and have no tools, so I need something simple...though I may be able to enlist the help of a neighbor that is a woodworker.

Any idea if the speakers in this would be OK with a closed back? Other things I should consider?

Thanks!

2. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I would think if you close the back on your combo things are going to get real hot with out any air circulating in side the cab. I think you better check this out before you do it.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Do not close the back of a tube combo, the tubes generate heat and need to have air flow to let them breath and cool. If you seal the back off, the amp will likely overheat.

Your best bet is to just get an Avatar closed back 212, they are not that expensive and than you can have the open and closed back sound...

4. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

That's why I'm posting - in hopes that someone has done it, or knows more than I. I'd not thought about the heat, that may well be an issue....

5. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

The issue then is that I don't want to carry a combo and a cab if I can help it, though I may well go that route in the future....can't afford a cab at the moment.

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I just don't want to see you overheat your amp. The stock blue marvel's are not the best speaker, I would rather have some celestion G12H30's in there myself.

Are you not getting enough tight bass? While a closed back cab will have a tighter bass response than an open back cab, it could also be that the power tubes are wearing out....

7. vrdyer

vrdyer Member

Silly thought, why not just try it through a 2x12 closed back extension cab.

8. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

See my post two posts above yours for the answer :)

9. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

Tube wear is possible - I've only had the amp since November, but it was in GC for a while so it's definitely had some play time. And yeah, tighter bass is the ONLY thing it's lacking, I absolutely adore this amp. I may replace the Blue Marvels at some point as well, though I'm not unhappy with them.

I agree, now thinking about it, that overheating would be a probability - that's why I posted before trying it, to make sure I hadn't overlooked something...which I had!