Anyone Ever Compare a Crowder Hotcake To a Double Hotcake?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleluvver, Jan 31, 2012.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

I'm looking for some new overdrives for Vox circuits (Matchless and Morgan). I would like to have a low to medium gain sounding pedal, and the Double Hotcake caught my interest. Has anyone here been able to compare the regular Hotcake to the Double? I've heard a lot of good things about the regular Hotcake, but I've also heard about "fizziness" and that it can be very sensitive and difficult to dial in. Looking for any and all thoughts.

Phil (teleluvver)

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Hi - yeah, Hotcakes are weird. I hear ya on the fizziness, but that's significantly less noticeable/not an issue into EL84 amps, IMO. The Double's got the "bluesberry" voicing on one side (which is, I guess, designed to work better with a Fender-style circuit), and of course you get that high-gain double-hotcake option when both sides are engaged. The newer single units have an internal switch to toggle between regular and "blueberry" voicings, plus an internal "xlf" switch to let more low-end through, if you want. I'd opt for the double, if I were you -- I haven't missed the single.

3. deluxe83

deluxe83 Member

Check out a Rockett Animal. I've owned both versions of the HC, and much prefer the Animal into El84 amps. Low/Med grind, with a perfect balance of grit and smooth character...no fizzles or weird crackles.

4. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Using a hot cake is like using a fuzz face. Describing what it does when it is cranked (ie, fuzzy, etc) is only a small part of the story. The hot cake excels at tones when the guitar is backed off. If you don't like the sound at 10, don't put your guitar there. But having the extreme settings gives you all the others that are in between. If you aren't a volume rider, maybe look else where. But if you are than there are literally hundreds of other sounds to be found in a hot cake besides fizzy. Especially into the right amp. I have played mine into a tweed and there almost isn't a bad tone if set right. Also remember the two main controls are very interactive. I can get a pretty high level of gain out of mine sans the fizz by setting them up correctly. It may or may not work for you, but it is very much worth the try IMO.

5. teleluvver

I intend to explore volume riding, but at this point I am not a volume rider. I like to turn the guitar pickup volume (Tele) all the way up and go. Sounds like in your opinion that the Hotcake might not be for me.

Phil (teleluvver)

6. teleluvver

BUMP for more opinions