• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone ever..consider giving up playing?

darchirnoj

Had a few beers last night (2?3? 3 tops), and starting playing to some blues backing tracks and to some Albert King. For some reason, an old feeling (that’s been there before, but has never pushed itself out like last night) came out….what the heck am I doing playing? I’m decent, not great. And at this juncture, I mean, it is what it is.

Yet I have thousands of $ in gear, and play only at night just to either kill time, get stiff out of my head or to help me sleep (yes…oddly, guitar playing makes me sleepy).

After I played for about 30 min last night, I just stopped playing and sat there, thinking,”what the heck is this all for?”

Anyone ever experience that?

Years ago, I used to be heavily into working out/lifting weights. So last night, they thought came up also: re-direct your hobbies/focus/time….because I’ll be honest, even though I don’t play a lot, I’m on internet several times a day looking at: TGP, Guitar Mill, Warmoth, Eddie’sGuitars,etc. (you get point).

Thoughts?

M

Member 243444

Had a few beers last night (2?3? 3 tops), and starting playing to some blues backing tracks and to some Albert King. For some reason, an old feeling (that’s been there before, but has never pushed itself out like last night) came out….what the heck am I doing playing? I’m decent, not great. And at this juncture, I mean, it is what it is.

Yet I have thousands of $ in gear, and play only at night just to either kill time, get stiff out of my head or to help me sleep (yes…oddly, guitar playing makes me sleepy).

After I played for about 30 min last night, I just stopped playing and sat there, thinking,”what the heck is this all for?”

Anyone ever experience that?

Years ago, I used to be heavily into working out/lifting weights. So last night, they thought came up also: re-direct your hobbies/focus/time….because I’ll be honest, even though I don’t play a lot, I’m on internet several times a day looking at: TGP, Guitar Mill, Warmoth, Eddie’sGuitars,etc. (you get point).

Thoughts?
some fish. some work on cars. some hunt. some are into sports. some are into guitars. its ok

rizla

Yeah, I have.
I have too many interests. They all require the same levels of creativity and proficiency. Ive played guitar for over 40yrs, I could stop and devote some of that time to developing skills and cultivating a deeper understanding in some of the other interests.
I can always pick up guitar at anytime and play enough to make me happy at this stage. Guitar isnt the be all and end all for me that it was 10+yrs ago. I did throw away a lot of time to become reasonably proficient with it at the expense of other things and different aspects of life. I regret some of it.

rizla

Will always play.

No more gigs.
I quit gigging in 2014. I have not once missed it. Initially I would finding myself wandering around the house every Friday a Saturday nights thinking I should be somewhere but eventually that wore off.
I love having time to play with now.

I quit playing music and sold every piece of music gear I owned in 2002. I didn't start again until 2014 or 15.
Now I only play at night and it's just a hobby and passion of mine, nothing more. I have zero expectations of myself with music now.
It's kind of a form if therapy for me.
Musically I am nobody and I like it that way.
I'm not out to impress anyone, not even myself.
Sometimes I just sit there and play basically nothing, just being satisfied to be hearing sounds that I'm making, good or bad.

BlueWolf

Platinum Supporting Member
It happens to me all the time. I stopped playing for a long time while I was building a life for me and my family. Then I came back to it many years later, with health problems and joint issues that prevent from ever approaching an elite level. Heck, I can’t even replicate the level I was playing at when I was young. To make things even worse, I play in a jazz septet with some killer horn players that make me appreciate my mediocrity even more. I got discouraged all the time.

The thing is, I’ve sort of come to terms with it. I realize that I just love playing, and I am grateful I can play with such great players. I’m grateful I can play at all. It doesn’t matter that I’m not great and never will be. It only matters that I can play and that I have found other people I can play with. I actually formed another group, a jam band, of all like-minded players. We are all older people that aren’t great players but that cherish every opportunity to play and try to get better. It makes us all appreciate the simple fact that we can all make music at all.

There doesn’t have to be some great purpose behind your playing. Find a place in which you just enjoy playing without critiquing yourself or comparing yourself to anyone and play from that place. Then, if you can, find people in a similar place to play with. They’re out there. You don’t have to be a professional or some wizard to enjoy playing. I think everyone should learn an instrument and play. It just adds a lot to your life. Obviously, you’ve felt that way before or you would never have started playing to begin with. Try to remember how good it felt when you first started playing.

Don’t give up or get discouraged. God knows I’ve been there a million times, and especially lately when my joint pain is so bad it’s hard for me to play at all. I get through it, though, and it doesn’t last long. Then I’m right back to just enjoying playing for playing’s sake. Here’s a tip. Learn a few songs all the way through that you can play by yourself. Don’t pick anything too hard. When you’re feeling discouraged, play one of those songs, and you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment. It doesn’t matter if a million other people can play that song. It only matters that you can play it.

Good luck, and stay the course.

Last edited:

sears_poncho

Sometimes I feel like that and don’t touch it for a while. Usually I have to discover or rediscover some music that inspires me to get back into it. But like one of the guys above, I don’t just listen to music all the time, I’m not that kind of listener. So it has to be something really special that does it for me and maybe it takes a while to find it, when I’m not sampling new music all day.

I have no interest in the gigging lifestyle but what I do like is recording. Playing guitar alone at home can only be so much fun, when I start layering parts and adding bass and drums it is more rewarding

Strummerfan

I play because I enjoy playing. I played alone in my living room for 12 or 13 years before I ever even thought about a band, played in a few bands, one for seven years, a couple for a year or two each. I've played lots of love gigs, recorded in a studio, have a lot of fun, and came full circle about 14 years ago. Haven't played anywhere but my living room since. At all the stages of playing, I've always enjoyed it. Do I play as well as I'd like to after all these years? No. Still a mediocre player. But I still take joy from it every time I pick one up.

amigo30

I had to quit a few years back because of a wrist injury. I needed about 6 months off, but I took 2 years off. Since then - interest has ebbed and flowed. I've always been a hobbyist and never desired to earn a living by playing.

A couple of things I've realized as a result:
  • I'll always want a guitar around
  • I don't need a lot of gear
    • 1 good acoustic
    • maybe 2-3 electrics that I really like
    • handful of pedals
    • 1 great amp or modeler
  • I don't need to be on the buying train anymore.
After that - it's up to me. If I wanna play, I play. If I don't - I don't. But I always CAN if I want to.

s2y

Will always play.

No more gigs.
I can't stop writing. Love the creative processes.

I'm probably unable to join a band until my kids are older. Disliked how adults behaved in bands. Plus, good bands seemed to vanish a few years back. Some beginners sent me a rejection email after an audition. The only guy who returned my emails a few years ago was certified crazy and can’t play whatsoever. Yeah, time to take a break.

I don't know if you ever truly "give up".

I've had months at a time where I haven't played in the past 45 years of "being with" the guitar and I've always come back to it.

There is a joy to doing something well, even if it's not a difficult thing you are doing. We don't all have to be Joe Pass or Jon Gomm, or even Joe Strummer.

It's always worth asking yourself why you play. Sometimes you connect with the notes.

Those are the moments I play for, when you connect with the notes and they "flow" and they are not the notes you have used before in that order, and something new is built. Even if it is only new to me, and many folks beforehand have explored those relationships between pitches extensively.

I do it because it is the closest I can get to an unknown land.

But I also do it for the money, and that is a bit different, and can lead to an internal conflict.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom