• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

anyone ever consolidate all your guitars to one?

noisebloom

No, because I think consolidation is not a synthesis of variety but rather the antithesis.

I like what different woods and pickups offer. I do not see all of those different tonal possibilities happening in a single guitar. Nor do I see that as desirable.

I have huge respect for Steve Morse and what he did with his Frankentele and his EBMM, but even those are compromises, when you really think about it.

When you distill a guitar down that far, you are still committing to a certain body wood, a certain neck wood, a certain fretboard wood, a certain scale length. And then you are deciding to mount certain pickups in certain places, trying to make sure the pickups give you a wide enough range at all positions. Can you have a single bridge pickup do a P-90 sound and a Tele sound and a Strat sound and a PAF sound? Is that possible, and is the result convincing enough to the ear?

It's an interesting thought experiment, certainly.

DeadLazy

I would if I found a guitar for that money I felt was worth it.

I have found my favorite guitars usually sit in the 1500$ range.

The more expensive seem to have more flair and that actually makes me not like their asthmatics as much. No dove inlays for me.

I love the solid , Art Deco look of Fenders. I like their straight forward look.

My favorite is a Daphne blue American Strat with all Rosewood neck. I got it on sale for 1300$. It’s the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen and plays like a Fender Strat.

If you offered me 4500$ for it, I wouldn’t do it.

ZeyerGTR

Almost. I sold 6-8 guitars and got down to 2. I'm now back up to 3 (electrics). Pretty happy, my #1 is a Suhr Archtop and it's what I play 80% of the time. I've gotten pretty specific over the years in terms of what I like a neck, so that cuts down a lot of other "pretty" options.

It wasn't a smooth path, I paired down to different guitars I wasn't quite happy with, and ended up getting what I should have gotten in the first place - the Suhr archtop. It was a good learning process, although of course I lost some money getting there. Happy in the end so it worked out.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
I could. Some of my guitars have real sentimental value, but I could probably pull it off.

I R P

I could get by with one electric, one acoustic, and one bass.

In reality, I will probably stick with my current stable of seven total instruments.

jekylmeister

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I use a 3 wood for about half of my shots. Is that the same thing?

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn’t call this consolidating. I would call this an upgrade. If you had the funds for the guitar you want, you would probably just buy it, right?

Get the axe you want. You’ll get more eventually. They’ll just probably be on that higher price point. That’s what happened to me!

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
Consolidate all my guitars into 1 room? Yes.
Consolidate all my guitars to buy one other guitar? No. I've always owned at least 2. I try to stay at 5 or less but I'm at 6 now.

I have sold 3 guitars to buy 1 mega expensive guitar and I regretted it. The 3 I sold weren't exactly junkers.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, since I got my Eric Clapton strat everything else just sits in it’s case.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I've done the opposite, sell/trade a single high value guitar into multiple very good guitars (I wasn't using the single high value guitar at the time, and probably wouldn't be if I still owned it).

rusty

Silver Supporting Member
I’m fortunate to be saddled with several sentimental instruments...I gladly embrace the hoard...makes my music room look necessary!

Brutus

I want and need a variety of guitars to choose from when I sit down to play. One of them always has THE sound on that particular day. Aural stimulation is important to keep thing fresh.

Ejay

Going for 1 guitar makes perfect sense. Having “tonal options” from different guitars is so marginal compared to knowing 1 instrument really well....and that instrument being a great one.
Between a strat, tele, Paul....id go for the best instrument and deal with the quirks either of these have.

Selling what you got to get a 4500,- guitar doesnt make sense to me tbh.
Running into a guitar that you love..that happens to cost 4500,-...that makes perfect sense.

So..if you feel you have to many guitars..or wanna go for only 1...sell all but 1..and start your quest for a better one...maybe it costs 2k...maybe 4K...who knows.

Spending 4500 k on a guitar may increase the odds that its a great one...but there are lots out there in that price range that are no more the decent. Decent you probably already have.

Trending Topics