anyone ever consolidate all your guitars to one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bertramladner, Dec 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM.

1. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

That is what I have been trying to do since I bought my 2011 R8 M2M a few months ago. It was a purchase on a whim, it is a rather ugly banana yellow one-off from Gibson, but the tone and playability are better than any other guitar I have owned before, and I have owned at least 100.

So as a result I am selling all my Les Pauls and my other 2-humbucker guitars because I won't need them. No, I actually don't like them anymore!
    It is a very weird feeling: I am talking about very, very good guitars, which I have always considered as keepers. a 2016 R9 True Historic Les Paul aged by Tom Murphy, a few CS Flying V korina, a great CS 335... they are or soon will be just a fond memory.

I literally cannot stop playing this banana yellow '58 reissue LP ugly duckling. it is that good.

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

IMO,

Pack up all your guitars and see how long you can go without digging into your stash. If you can happily settle on one guitar for weeks (or months), then you can happily sell off all your guitars and consolidate. If you get antsy and want to play another one, it probably won't work long term.

Also, it's a horrible sellers market right now...you're likely going to get low balls, trade offers, and not a lot of serious interest.

3. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

No, because I think consolidation is not a synthesis of variety but rather the antithesis.

I like what different woods and pickups offer. I do not see all of those different tonal possibilities happening in a single guitar. Nor do I see that as desirable.

I have huge respect for Steve Morse and what he did with his Frankentele and his EBMM, but even those are compromises, when you really think about it.

When you distill a guitar down that far, you are still committing to a certain body wood, a certain neck wood, a certain fretboard wood, a certain scale length. And then you are deciding to mount certain pickups in certain places, trying to make sure the pickups give you a wide enough range at all positions. Can you have a single bridge pickup do a P-90 sound and a Tele sound and a Strat sound and a PAF sound? Is that possible, and is the result convincing enough to the ear?

It's an interesting thought experiment, certainly.

4. Guppie

Guppie Member

Also, different guitars make me play different. I would miss that.

5. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I would if I found a guitar for that money I felt was worth it.

I have found my favorite guitars usually sit in the 1500$ range.

The more expensive seem to have more flair and that actually makes me not like their asthmatics as much. No dove inlays for me.

I love the solid , Art Deco look of Fenders. I like their straight forward look.

My favorite is a Daphne blue American Strat with all Rosewood neck. I got it on sale for 1300$. It’s the most beautiful guitar I’ve ever seen and plays like a Fender Strat.

If you offered me 4500$ for it, I wouldn’t do it.

6. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

I have never consolidated my guitars into one. Would be too many necks.

Swami Asango likes this.
  7. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Almost. I sold 6-8 guitars and got down to 2. I'm now back up to 3 (electrics). Pretty happy, my #1 is a Suhr Archtop and it's what I play 80% of the time. I've gotten pretty specific over the years in terms of what I like a neck, so that cuts down a lot of other "pretty" options.

It wasn't a smooth path, I paired down to different guitars I wasn't quite happy with, and ended up getting what I should have gotten in the first place - the Suhr archtop. It was a good learning process, although of course I lost some money getting there. Happy in the end so it worked out.

Swami Asango likes this.
  8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I could. Some of my guitars have real sentimental value, but I could probably pull it off.

[​IMG]

rusty likes this.
  9. I R P

I R P Member

I could get by with one electric, one acoustic, and one bass.

In reality, I will probably stick with my current stable of seven total instruments.

Mike Duncan likes this.
  10. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

I'm pretty sure the guy from cheap trick did this.

11. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

All my guitars are “vintage.” My 335 is vintage 2009, my Hummingbird is vintage 2003 and so forth. ;)

12. twotone

twotone Member

13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

14. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I use a 3 wood for about half of my shots. Is that the same thing?

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I wouldn’t call this consolidating. I would call this an upgrade. If you had the funds for the guitar you want, you would probably just buy it, right?

Get the axe you want. You’ll get more eventually. They’ll just probably be on that higher price point. That’s what happened to me!

16. stonem

stonem Member

Consolidate all my guitars into 1 room? Yes.
    Consolidate all my guitars to buy one other guitar? No. I've always owned at least 2. I try to stay at 5 or less but I'm at 6 now.

I have sold 3 guitars to buy 1 mega expensive guitar and I regretted it. The 3 I sold weren't exactly junkers.

17. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Yes, since I got my Eric Clapton strat everything else just sits in it’s case.

18. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

Why not? Brian May, Michael Schenker, and Allen Collins built their career on one or two guitars. Are you thinking of a PRS 513?

19. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I've done the opposite, sell/trade a single high value guitar into multiple very good guitars (I wasn't using the single high value guitar at the time, and probably wouldn't be if I still owned it).

20. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

I’m fortunate to be saddled with several sentimental instruments...I gladly embrace the hoard...makes my music room look necessary!